Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
Porsche has a really convoluted way of activating free charging. You actually have to "purchase" it in your account. This is separate from your myporsche account. Seems weird but in scanning the feedback didn't see it as a potential for the issue.

FWIW I had similar issues on the anniversary of my car's original purchase - took 3 different Porsche 'experts' to finally get to that as the issue. Once I checked out with the right items selected it took a couple of minutes and then everything worked...very frustrating.

Last thing....If your car can charge via paid EA session, it's a 99.9% chance that the issue is the on the Porsche side.
were not doing anything wrong, their is an outage since October that has not been fixed yet. it effects couple different brands as well
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
were not doing anything wrong, their is an outage since October that has not been fixed yet. it effects couple different brands as well
I was charging without issue (last charge was Jan 10th at an EA charger)....or at least was till my high voltage battery failed and bricked my car.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was charging without issue (last charge was Jan 10th at an EA charger)....or at least was till my high voltage battery failed and bricked my car.
its hit and miss, some owners the app is down for others its not, EA and Porsche have no idea why.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
at this point I think im going to initiate a lemon law against Porsche USA. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. having to spend 10minutes on the phone with EA for them to turn on the machine is nuts.
I wonder if you can just call 10 minutes before you get there, tell them they already know about the issue, so to stay with you until you get there to tell them the stall number to activate.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
its hit and miss, some owners the app is down for others its not, EA and Porsche have no idea why.
You'd think they have a field team who could debug these kinds of issues. Or is the current generation of engineers clueless how to debug stuff anymore - they put "legos" together to stich up a demo to management, but if it fails in the field, nobody has a clue where to even start debugging it?

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I wonder if you can just call 10 minutes before you get there, tell them they already know about the issue, so to stay with you until you get there to tell them the stall number to activate.
Could probably do that. Still have to read them your VIN # so they can get the free charge “approved” before they do it. Either way it’s a pain in the ass, but calling ahead of time would help.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Could probably do that. Still have to read them your VIN # so they can get the free charge “approved” before they do it. Either way it’s a pain in the ass, but calling ahead of time would help.
this would not work, what charger would they turn on for you if you are not present at the charger?

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
this would not work, what charger would they turn on for you if you are not present at the charger?
No you’d just save 5-10 mins by calling them and getting it approved on the way there. Then when you show up to the charger (while they’re on the line) you just give them the charger number and they activate it then for you. Either way it’s still super frustrating.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No you’d just save 5-10 mins by calling them and getting it approved on the way there. Then when you show up to the charger (while they’re on the line) you just give them the charger number and they activate it then for you. Either way it’s still super frustrating.
I wonder if they could just create an standing approval lasting a week at a time if they know there are issues. Then you would just call in, give the approval number with the station number, and off you go (that call could even be handled via an automated attendant, or even a web page via phone browser, save time and money). Even better if you could just enter the approval number in to the station directly.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
at this point I think im going to initiate a lemon law against Porsche USA. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. having to spend 10minutes on the phone with EA for them to turn on the machine is nuts.
You’re going to file a lemon law claim because plug and charge isn’t working for your car? Good luck with that.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ive started doing that, but the risk is all stalls being full or not working and having spent time on the phone talking to them.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re going to file a lemon law claim because plug and charge isn’t working for your car? Good luck with that.
main function of the car not working is ok with you? are you cool paying me 8k in fuel fees so i dont call them and get the included charge?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
main function of the car not working is ok with you? are you cool paying me 8k in fuel fees so i dont call them and get the included charge?
Main function? Is the car unusable or fully functional if you just called and got your free charging? And, $8k?! Your plan was to free charge every single time and drive 50,000+ miles in three years?

In order to win a lemon law claim, the car has to be out of service for an extended period of time, not merely inconvenient.

As I said, good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In order to win a lemon law claim, the car has to be out of service for an extended period of time, not merely inconvenient.
Not exactly true, probably depends on jurisdiction. Long time ago my Lexus almost got lemoned because they couldn't get rid of a humming noise whenever using bluetooth speakerphone. I wasn't even looking to lemon it, the dealer told me later that I had that option if they didn't fix it on the 3rd try, which is why on the 3rd shop visit they gave me a brand new, same model to drive for a week, and summoned an engineer from Japan to come fix it.

Note that I am not commenting about the plug-and-charge, whether it is a sufficient reason, primarily because the fault could be EA, not Porsche (imagine you tried to lemon a car because a local gas station refuses to sell you fuel).

OP
OP

Sean4510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I called them again this morning just for the hell of it to see if the customer support folks had any clue what was actually going on here. He first told me to "check to see if plug & charge was checked off". After I told him it had nothing to do with plug & charge, he pretended like he knew about this issue and said "it's being worked on and we don't have any update at this time". I just find it a little shocking that no one on the Porsche side is communicating down to the people on the phones taking calls from angry customers. 4+ months with the same issue affecting the majority of their Taycan customers has got to be causing a shitstorm internally. If anyone has contacts at Porsche that are more clued in to these charging issues, hit me up!
Sponsored