Emden to Grismby - any movement?

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
It's the stationary tires under 2.5tons of weight too. It's a joke.

There isn't just one supplier in the whole world for 12v lithium batteries.
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
There isn't just one supplier in the whole world for 12v lithium batteries.
True. but there isn't available a standard / ready drop-in replacement battery off the shelf AFAIK either.

The original is purpose sized & designed / made for the Taycan: running things like a LIN bus diagnostic connection to the main ECU. It's pretty unlikely an off the shelf battery would have such a function ready to go / tested with Porsche, even if you could get a smaller battery (or two) to physically fit.

Porsche may well decide to contract with another / new 12V battery supplier, but the reality is that in the current circumstances, it would probably take them as long to tool up, do all the QA, checks etc and reach a realistic level of output than it would get volume production restarted with the original supplier.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
True. but there isn't available a standard / ready drop-in replacement battery off the shelf AFAIK either.

The original is purpose sized & designed / made for the Taycan: running things like a LIN bus diagnostic connection to the main ECU. It's pretty unlikely an off the shelf battery would have such a function ready to go / tested with Porsche, even if you could get a smaller battery (or two) to physically fit.

Porsche may well decide to contract with another / new 12V battery supplier, but the reality is that in the current circumstances, it would probably take them as long to tool up, do all the QA, checks etc and reach a realistic level of output than it would get volume production restarted with the original supplier.
Does make you wonder why a company as big as the VW group has a single source for the battery? Although I’m sure everyone in purchasing will be Teflon coated and the fault will be engineering! Not that I used to work in automotive design😇

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Update from the dealer this morning...

My car had a build date of 24th June, the below indicates it could be 8 weeks from the 22nd August before it's released.

We have been advised that there will be an 8-week delay in receiving the battery which would be week 34 (Week commencing 22nd of August)

From week 34 on the 12v batteries will be available again and PAG will centrally retrofit them from this week as quickly as possible.

The worst-case scenario estimation from Porsche AG is a maximum 8-week delay in the delivery of the vehicles from week 34 on and it will not be possible to prioritise the order in which cars are retrofitted with the battery.

The highlighted section is the exact information we have received.
We are well towards the end of week 34. Does anyone have any news regarding the batteries? Did they show up? Have they started fitting them?

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Apparently only one more delivery this year of all models for my dealership

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Did anyone read about a possible drop in VAT to 5% to help with the cost of living crisis (saw it somewhere on the BBC website)? Might that apply to new Porsches? Would certainly take the pain out of the long wait if that were to happen! Although might affect residuals.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Did anyone read about a possible drop in VAT to 5% to help with the cost of living crisis (saw it somewhere on the BBC website)? Might that apply to new Porsches? Would certainly take the pain out of the long wait if that were to happen! Although might affect residuals.
Truss is reportedly considering a 5% or 2.5% reduction. Apparently easy to implement, but not a great way to focus on helping out the most needy.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Truss is reportedly considering a 5% or 2.5% reduction. Apparently easy to implement, but not a great way to focus on helping out the most needy.
Agreed.

It rewards the people who buy the most 'stuff' and not the people who can't afford essentials.

Great if you are buying a new Porsche or a Prada Handbag or Rolex watch (20% vat). You can save a lot.

Not so good if you can't afford to put basic food items on the table (nil vat) or put the heating on (5% vat).

I find it a bizarre strategy currently. I bet most on here would sooner the money be directed at the needy.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Agreed.

It rewards the people who buy the most 'stuff' and not the people who can't afford essentials.

Great if you are buying a new Porsche or a Prada Handbag or Rolex watch (20% vat). You can save a lot.

Not so good if you can't afford to put basic food items on the table (nil vat) or put the heating on (5% vat).

I find it a bizarre strategy currently. I bet most on here would sooner the money be directed at the needy.
100%. Is just more gesture politics and the Tory’s appeasing the people who keep them in power and ignoring the huge crisis we’re walking into. It would be shocking if it wasn’t so unsurprising

The thing with this crisis is that it will obviously affect those poorest, but a very significant section of those who aren’t considered ‘poor’ are now very worried and that’s even more concerning because it potentially means forcing a massive swathe of society into poverty

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I always think the problem with cutting VAT is that you don’t stop retailers putting prices up by 5% anyway. They did the same with the cut in petrol duty scam by the greedy oil companies. IMO i think a windfall tax should be threatened unless the companies agree to reduce the energy cap.

Failing that nationalisation of one of the energy companies and control the prices. The others will soon realise that it’s not sustainable.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I always think the problem with cutting VAT is that you don’t stop retailers putting prices up by 5% anyway. They did the same with the cut in petrol duty scam by the greedy oil companies. IMO i think a windfall tax should be threatened unless the companies agree to reduce the energy cap.

Failing that nationalisation of one of the energy companies and control the prices. The others will soon realise that it’s not sustainable.
The problem is that energy is a global market (same as oil) and globally priced.
The highest price sets the rate (currently shipped liquid Natural Gas)?

We use very little gas from Russia, as most of ours comes from Norway.
But everyone now wants that Norwegian gas - and we have to pay the going rate.

The residential energy companies are actually losing money currently even with the energy cap. They are buying it for more than they are charging us, which is why so many have gone bust.

Energy producers is a different thing!

Without the cap, rates would be similar to wholesale costs to business - worth watching this Tom Kerridge interview 2 days ago.

Also this is a good place to keep tabs on commodity prices.

https://m.uk.investing.com/commodities/

I really think a lot of people haven't got the faintest idea what's just around the corner!
It's no coincidence that two of my current earworms are 'Ghost Town' by the Specials and 'One in ten' by UB40.
I can see many similarities with early 80s....
Strikes, followed by unemployment and civil unrest.

Many of us older people can smell it in the air.

Sorry..... Waaaaay off topic. 🫢

Last edited:

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Update from the dealer this morning...

My car had a build date of 24th June, the below indicates it could be 8 weeks from the 22nd August before it's released.

We have been advised that there will be an 8-week delay in receiving the battery which would be week 34 (Week commencing 22nd of August)

From week 34 on the 12v batteries will be available again and PAG will centrally retrofit them from this week as quickly as possible.

The worst-case scenario estimation from Porsche AG is a maximum 8-week delay in the delivery of the vehicles from week 34 on and it will not be possible to prioritise the order in which cars are retrofitted with the battery.

The highlighted section is the exact information we have received.
Any updates on this from anyone? It’s way past week 34 and no news anywhere…

UK gts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan gts
Country flag
Just confirming that I have checked the status and unfortunately, the status still hasn’t changed.

I will update you again next week or contact you if anything changes.

Last correspondence from them a fortnight ago. I don't really chase it anymore.

It's the fact that my car was amongst the first to be hit by the battery shortage, and so was stood somewhere for 8 weeks, and they can't even arrange for it to be one of the first to get the battery when available.

Don't see it as the dealers fault, but this saga will make us look hard elsewhere before buying another porsche.

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Just confirming that I have checked the status and unfortunately, the status still hasn’t changed.

I will update you again next week or contact you if anything changes.

Last correspondence from them a fortnight ago. I don't really chase it anymore.

It's the fact that my car was amongst the first to be hit by the battery shortage, and so was stood somewhere for 8 weeks, and they can't even arrange for it to be one of the first to get the battery when available.

Don't see it as the dealers fault, but this saga will make us look hard elsewhere before buying another porsche.
This is exactly the type of response I got last time I checked with mine. Thanks for responding. I hope we get our cars this year.
Sponsored