Every EV Manufacturer apparently has to go through the same pain...

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I have owned multiple plug-in vehicles, Chevrolet Volt, Tesla Model S, Volvo XC90, and Porsche Taycan 4S. As someone who has always been hopeful that EVs would develop into the next generation of vehicles, I happily jumped in as an early adopter to each vehicle, expecting some growing pains and hiccups along the way. I accepted the fact that there would be things that the manufacturers would learn about the new vehicle operating platform and that I would have to endure some inconvenience for the cause.

Now that I have had my Porsche, what has amazed me is how each of the manufacturers has had the same type of issue with every car. I rather expected the manufacturers to make new mistakes as they advanced the platform, but the actual experience is exactly the opposite. When owning each vehicle, I immersed myself with a community of owners much like this one, and heard the stories of their struggles and the issues that the manufacturers were experiencing, especially in the first model year. The Chevrolet and Tesla experiences I chalked up to Tesla not wanting to be like a "traditional manufacturer" and being somewhat stubborn about wanting to learn anything from them. Volvo perhaps was too desperate to emerge from their near-death experience to have time to focus on some mundane aspects of the manufacturing process. But Porsche, I thought, could be different, with their stable organization and strong roots as a credible, high-quality and high-end manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the process of reading the posts from the users in this group (the ones with significant problems) seems like a replay of my experience with each of the above manufacturers:
  • Dead 12V battery caused by mysterious sources
  • The occasional fatal failure of the vehicle
  • Problems with electronic systems that control the vehicle
  • Problems with charging
As with my other cars, I look forward to getting through this period of issues. It eventually happened with each one of them.

The Taycan is the ultimate EV; no other has its mix of high-performance and EV features. I am just surprised at how little they have learned from each other about basic elements of manufacturing EVs. All of the cars above settled down after the first 12 months. I just hope the next six months are less bumpy...
Sponsored

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I have owned multiple plug-in vehicles, Chevrolet Volt, Tesla Model S, Volvo XC90, and Porsche Taycan 4S. As someone who has always been hopeful that EVs would develop into the next generation of vehicles, I happily jumped in as an early adopter to each vehicle, expecting some growing pains and hiccups along the way. I accepted the fact that there would be things that the manufacturers would learn about the new vehicle operating platform and that I would have to endure some inconvenience for the cause.

Now that I have had my Porsche, what has amazed me is how each of the manufacturers has had the same type of issue with every car. I rather expected the manufacturers to make new mistakes as they advanced the platform, but the actual experience is exactly the opposite. When owning each vehicle, I immersed myself with a community of owners much like this one, and heard the stories of their struggles and the issues that the manufacturers were experiencing, especially in the first model year. The Chevrolet and Tesla experiences I chalked up to Tesla not wanting to be like a "traditional manufacturer" and being somewhat stubborn about wanting to learn anything from them. Volvo perhaps was too desperate to emerge from their near-death experience to have time to focus on some mundane aspects of the manufacturing process. But Porsche, I thought, could be different, with their stable organization and strong roots as a credible, high-quality and high-end manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the process of reading the posts from the users in this group (the ones with significant problems) seems like a replay of my experience with each of the above manufacturers:
  • Dead 12V battery caused by mysterious sources
  • The occasional fatal failure of the vehicle
  • Problems with electronic systems that control the vehicle
  • Problems with charging
As with my other cars, I look forward to getting through this period of issues. It eventually happened with each one of them.

The Taycan is the ultimate EV; no other has its mix of high-performance and EV features. I am just surprised at how little they have learned from each other about basic elements of manufacturing EVs. All of the cars above settled down after the first 12 months. I just hope the next six months are less bumpy...
@KensingtonPark well stated and thank you for taking the time to pen your thoughts. Your perspective is appreciated from this first time EV owner.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Unfortunately, I am now on day 38 with my car in the shop. Still waiting...
You sir are a saint... I think I would have gone postal by now.... I just have a mental picture of you making marks on a wall - like some criminal marking their time in a jail- as you wait for your taycan to come back from the Porsche dealer...

OP
OP

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Part of me wants to go over there and ask them to walk me through what exactly is going wrong, just so I understand.