First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Wow! Learning new things every day!!

(Dangit, too late for me! I didn’t have a home charger until the springtime. Last winter I did all my charging at commercial chargers.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Wow! Learning new things every day!!

(Dangit, too late for me! I didn’t have a home charger until the springtime. Last winter I did all my charging at commercial chargers.)
You can always come back you know.;)

It is a pity that it Should be so hard to find all of this information. My manual is in French and it is not the easiest to read for me, but I wish things like this was much clearer!

Here is the link to the information, I missed out to include that earlier, sorry.

https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can always come back you know.;)

It is a pity that it Should be so hard to find all of this information. My manual is in French and it is not the easiest to read for me, but I wish things like this was much clearer!

Here is the link to the information, I missed out to include that earlier, sorry.

https://e-performance.io/en/article/taycan-battery
Thanks Scandinavian - that’s a game changer in cold weather if it works. Will have to try before my next long trip. Seems the BMS is theoretically much more intelligent than I’d presumed.

Don, we’re already missing you - keep a look-out for that Porsche performance EV camper van/Winnebago. Only a matter of time.

jonwoodhead

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks all. This is really helpful info, and it is beginning to sound like the range drop-off is temperature related, which is affecting shorter trips disproportionately. I just hadn't expected the range drop to be so stark between 80F and 60F. For the same (longer) trips, I've lost around 40/50 odd miles (based upon miles per battery %). I guess if glass is half full, if I'd got the car in the Winter, I would have been pleasantly surprised with the range jump come the warmer weather.
Hi - I am finding the same amount of range - typically 180 miles at 85%, and 210 at 100%. I think you have hit the nail on the head there - small trips will disproportionately affect the range calculation. I find it helpful to think of the display not as an actual gauge (in the same sense as a fuel tank), but as an estimation based on various factors which may or may not be a good indication of future range...perhaps not quite what they were aiming for!

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
That's pretty much the numbers I have too right now with comprable temperature.
210 miles of range for 100% charge, consumption of 41-45kwh/100 miles (or 25-28 kwh per 100km) for a 60 miles commute (100km).
Whereas in the summer I was more or less at 23 kwh/100km (37 kwh/100 miles).

I also switched my 21 inch wheels with wide 305 all season tyres for 20'' turbo aero wheels with winter tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip from Porsche winter kit).
So I do think as well that tenperature and software algorithms here are the main factors explaining what we are seeing.

My experience in Michigan (temperature in degrees Fahrenheit) in a taycan S:

--mostly highway driving, very cold (under freezing): loss of about 20%, meaning 190 practical range even when fully charged, and possibly 180 miles--not the 240 shown when fully charged.

--when 50-60 degrees, same highway driving, pretty much the estimated range, meaning a practical range of about 220 with 240 being the indicated max.

See other posts on this with comparisons to a NJ drivers experience.

PLA
Sponsored