Felicity Ace ship on fire in the Atlantic carrying Porsches

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Right. Other sources talk about USD300-350m.
I think that's too high. 100m/4k cars is 25k per car manufacturing costs (not retail price) in average seems not far off with lots of VWs on board.
Sponsored

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Global production is down so it’s possible there is shipping capacity in reserve. Pure speculation on my part but this thread has pretty much all been speculation anyway.
If they have something like the Baltic Dry Index, but for Pure Car Carriers (PCC) rather than commodities, that would show the state of shipping supply/demand.

I dont know if anything like that exists though?

Christ0pherus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 992 Targa 4S (inbound)
Country flag
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but my TYD message was recently updated with more specific info about a contingency plan in the event of a total loss. They’re increasing capacity to accommodate replacement cars. In other words, the delay might not be too long even if all the cars were destroyed.

My GTS is supposed to arrive in June but I feel for those whose cars are on this ship! I hope the backlog gets resolved asap.

Porsche Taycan Felicity Ace ship on fire in the Atlantic carrying Porsches 573937D8-AB9F-4B33-9F07-551E71D741FA

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but my TYD message was recently updated with more specific info about a contingency plan in the event of a total loss. They’re increasing capacity to accommodate replacement cars. In other words, the delay might not be too long even if all the cars were destroyed.

My GTS is supposed to arrive in June but I feel for those whose cars are on this ship! I hope the backlog gets resolved asap.

573937D8-AB9F-4B33-9F07-551E71D741FA.png
unfortunately it doesn’t say increasing capacity, just prioritizing capacity. That means those of us who are supposed to be in build this month will probably see our builds delayed….

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I think that's too high. 100m/4k cars is 25k per car manufacturing costs (not retail price) in average seems not far off with lots of VWs on board.
This is a retail value. There are many values as retail, whole sale, manufacturing, insured, gross, net etc. depending on the financial /accounting approach.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
The last time this happened (2019) where a ship transporting Porsche's ended up a total loss (it sank), it took four months for Porsche to rebuild and then deliver the vehicles to customers. That was also with a car that was out of production - they restarted production lines.

I would guess with the capacity to build 700+ Taycan's a week, those whose vehicles were lost will have a replacement delivered in four months or possibly much sooner. Could be a delay of only a month.

Glad no one died on the ship, that is the most important thing. An object can always be replaced and that is what's happening.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
The last time this happened (2019) where a ship transporting Porsche's ended up a total loss (it sank), it took four months for Porsche to rebuild and then deliver the vehicles to customers. That was also with a car that was out of production - they restarted production lines.

I would guess with the capacity to build 700+ Taycan's a week, those whose vehicles were lost will have a replacement delivered in four months or possibly much sooner. Could be a delay of only a month.

Glad no one died on the ship, that is the most important thing. An object can always be replaced and that is what's happening.
Yes, rebuilding 2-300 cars (supposed lost Taycans) is 1-3 days producing capacity. The time consuming thing is logistic/transportation.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Yes, rebuilding 2-300 cars (supposed lost Taycans) is 1-3 days producing capacity. The time consuming thing is logistic/transportation.
True, and raw materials where the factory might "allocate" to build numbers, though I suspect even then they would divert those materials to replacements.

Super frustrating and disappointing for those expecting their vehicles, but it will work itself out and I suspect quite quickly.

Also good the ship didn't sink where that would be yet more toxic cargo destroying the environment.

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
Can you share the file that contains the VIN list with us? Can't access the link you shared.
Thanks.
I cannot unfortunately. But if you have a VIN that you want me to check, i'll go ahead and do that for you.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
I visited my dealer today to see what he had in stock. He told me about the fire and said my GTS order is safe, but anyone with a June/July allocation whose car hasn't started production will be delayed because of this ship fire. The lost cars on this ship will be built in priority. Looks like a 2-3 month delay at the very least for those whose car has not started production.

I might sell my GTS late summer for a premium ☺

ElGordo

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Turismo (2)
Country flag
Considering they are already constrained on chips and other items that have been impacting builds. I can only imagine that this hits the supply chain in a meaningful manner creating further production inconsistencies.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The EV batteries are not discharged. Li-ion batteries are shipped charged all the time. At this point the only known info is that the fire started in the hold of the ship. That does not mean the cargo started the fire. It could be a leaky fuel line or damaged electrical cable on the ship. Once a fire gets going, if it's not going to be contained quickly, it will only grow and be fed by what's in the ships hold. Get a tire on fire and it burns crazy hot and for a long time. Think about the bumpers and how much plastic is on these or other cars. If the ship goes down, then it's going to be a very long time if they ever know what happened or if they even go with a salvage team. Will depend on the depth and who is going to pay for everything. Doing salvage operations in the open ocean is not cheap.
Also worth remembering a similar accident happened some 3 years ago. That’s before Taycan production. . . .
Sponsored