rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger 6B4A1057-D5C4-40D2-B247-900FED944291
Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger DA6B76C5-BD95-4F24-BF06-CC4847045B76
Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger F8EB0669-0306-47CC-918B-509B27A78EC7

Tried the EA 350kw charger for the first time this morning. Pulled in with around 65% SOC and left after 20 minutes at 87% SOC. Max charge speed was 75kw, maybe because I was already pretty full at the start? Used the EA app on my phone to start the session, charges showed on the screen, not sure if it was free or charged to my account yet? Porsche is supposed to be giving us free charging the first 3 years? Do charges show up on the screen anyway? How do you get the “free” EA charging through Porsche? I’m planning on my first road trip in the car soon to Palm Springs area and wanted to make sure everything worked as it is supposed to.

OP
OP
rbt3

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
6B4A1057-D5C4-40D2-B247-900FED944291.jpeg
DA6B76C5-BD95-4F24-BF06-CC4847045B76.jpeg
F8EB0669-0306-47CC-918B-509B27A78EC7.jpeg

Tried the EA 350kw charger for the first time this morning. Pulled in with around 65% SOC and left after 20 minutes at 87% SOC. Max charge speed was 75kw, maybe because I was already pretty full at the start? Used the EA app on my phone to start the session, charges showed on the screen, not sure if it was free or charged to my account yet? Porsche is supposed to be giving us free charging the first 3 years? Do charges show up on the screen anyway? How do you get the “free” EA charging through Porsche? I’m planning on my first road trip in the car soon to Palm Springs area and wanted to make sure everything worked as it is supposed to.
Unsure of my battery temp, but outside temp was 55 degrees F.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't yet taken delivery of my Taycan so I may have misunderstood from my research on this forum, but from what I understand you don't use Electrify America app to initiate the 3 years of free charging Taycan owners are entitled to. From the various threads on this forum I've learned that you should use the Porsche Charging NA app to utilize your free 3 years of EA charging.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/charging-na/id1487459638

If I'm mistaken and anyone reading has more accurate info, inquiring minds want to know.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
To get the free 30 minutes you must start the session with the Charging NA app, not the EA app.
The charger screen shows the charging cost and an equal discount amount, so the session cost is 0.

Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger 20210113_160322

OP
OP
rbt3

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To get the free 30 minutes you must start the session with the Charging NA app, not the EA app.
The charger screen shows the charging cost and an equal discount amount, so the session cost is 0.

20210113_160322.jpg
Thanks ChrisK for the info. I tried using the Porsche Connect app when I first plugged in and had no luck, no prompts or anything. I did not try the Charging NA app, but I have now linked it to my Porsche Connect account also. The EA app worked fine and I guess I'll eat the first $9.89 that I was charged today. I downloaded PlugShare and EVGo apps also just in case I ever need to use them, already had Blink and Chargepoint apps on my phone. Thanks for the help!

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Thanks ChrisK for the info. I tried using the Porsche Connect app when I first plugged in and had no luck, no prompts or anything. I did not try the Charging NA app, but I have now linked it to my Porsche Connect account also. The EA app worked fine and I guess I'll eat the first $9.89 that I was charged today. I downloaded PlugShare and EVGo apps also just in case I ever need to use them, already had Blink and Chargepoint apps on my phone. Thanks for the help!
Robert,

In addition to connecting your Porsche ID to the Charging NA App you also need to "subscribe" to the Taycan Charging Service by logging into My Porsche with your ID and selecting it:

Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger 1614470607897

Once you do you will have activated the three years of Charging and you will see this on your My Porsche account if you drill into the Porsche Charging Service link:

Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger 1614470703540

So there's a few steps:
1) Get a Porsche ID
2) Subscribe to the charging service on My Porsche
3) Install the Charging America/Charging NA app
4) Link your Porsche ID to the app

BTW, the free charging plan is only for a year, but it will automatically renew for two one-year terms. That's why the screen grabs above show mine expiring in September of this year.

Brent

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Robert,

In addition to connecting your Porsche ID to the Charging NA App you also need to "subscribe" to the Taycan Charging Service by logging into My Porsche with your ID and selecting it:

1614470607897.png

Once you do you will have activated the three years of Charging and you will see this on your My Porsche account if you drill into the Porsche Charging Service link:

1614470703540.png

So there's a few steps:
1) Get a Porsche ID
2) Subscribe to the charging service on My Porsche
3) Install the Charging America/Charging NA app
4) Link your Porsche ID to the app

BTW, the free charging plan is only for a year, but it will automatically renew for two one-year terms. That's why the screen grabs above show mine expiring in September of this year.

Brent
I have not yet received delivery of my Taycan so pardon me if this is otherwise self-apparent... but until this thread I did not know that it was a different app (I.e. not the Electrify America app) for the free charging. Good to know! That said... do those charging sessions done through the Charging America app get linked back to the Electrify America app to review past sessions / stats? I’m contemplating getting the new home charger (“Homestation”) made by Elecrify America and it would be sort of cool to be able to access all of that information in one place. Thanks!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I'm yet another member here in the waiting room until April, but this video series might be helpful, and number 4 "Optimize..." explains steps to set up free charging that go somewhat beyond this thread, like what PCM settings you need:

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have not yet received delivery of my Taycan so pardon me if this is otherwise self-apparent... but until this thread I did not know that it was a different app (I.e. not the Electrify America app) for the free charging. Good to know! That said... do those charging sessions done through the Charging America app get linked back to the Electrify America app to review past sessions / stats? I’m contemplating getting the new home charger (“Homestation”) made by Elecrify America and it would be sort of cool to be able to access all of that information in one place. Thanks!
There are actually three apps you can use to to initiate a charge on Electrify America. The first is the native Electrify America app, which as noted above will not allow you to take advantage of the three years of charging included with Taycans in the US (and other) market. Then there is the Porsche Connect app, which is clunky to use but can initiate a charge, and since it is aware of your Porsche ID and services can initiate the "free" charge. Finally, there is the Charging NA (aka Charging America) app, which is a derivative of the EA app that is aware of your Porsche ID and charging plan. Why they didn't just build this in to the core EA app is a mystery to me.

As for information in one place, I don't know much about the EA home charger, but I use the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that I purchased with the car, and it is a "smart" charger and linked to my My Porsche account. As a result, if I go to My Porsche online I can see my charging history including my home sessions, my mobile sessions when I've taken the PMCC with me, and my DCFC sessions at Electrify America:

Porsche Taycan First Electrify America charging experience using 350kw charger 1614554803055

In the pic above, the last entry is an Electrify America DCFC and the others are my home.

I have charged at a couple non-EA DC chargers, and I've used a Level 2 EVSE that wasn't the PMCC once or twice and these do not appear on My Porsche, but 98% of my charge history is available. I can even export it to CSV if I want the data for any reason.

Brent

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
EA is a FAIL FAIL FAIL.
I took my first road trip and had a terrible experience trying to get the car charged. at one stop zero of eight units would connect to the car, 1+hour shifting from unit to unit, 350 kwh, 150 kwh on the phone with EA support, they couldn't get the car and the charger to communicate to initiate charging. Luckily there was a green lots unit close by I charged enough to get me half the distance home to another EA unit, 150kwh to afraid to try the 350, that worked on the first try. this made a 4+ hour trip into a 6.5 hour trip FAIL.
my wife already said that she will not go on another trip in the car.
Porsche MUST sort this out immediately! or the car will gain a reputation of being unreliable.

the Ionity system in europe seems to work well, what is going on with EA here in the states.

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
EA is a FAIL FAIL FAIL.
I took my first road trip and had a terrible experience trying to get the car charged. at one stop zero of eight units would connect to the car, 1+hour shifting from unit to unit, 350 kwh, 150 kwh on the phone with EA support, they couldn't get the car and the charger to communicate to initiate charging. Luckily there was a green lots unit close by I charged enough to get me half the distance home to another EA unit, 150kwh to afraid to try the 350, that worked on the first try. this made a 4+ hour trip into a 6.5 hour trip FAIL.
my wife already said that she will not go on another trip in the car.
Porsche MUST sort this out immediately! or the car will gain a reputation of being unreliable.

the Ionity system in europe seems to work well, what is going on with EA here in the states.
I agree with your wife. I wish I had bought the Audi RS7 that was available when I took delivery of the Taycan. Love the Taycan, but it is of limited use because of EA’s troubles.

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
There are actually three apps you can use to to initiate a charge on Electrify America. The first is the native Electrify America app, which as noted above will not allow you to take advantage of the three years of charging included with Taycans in the US (and other) market. Then there is the Porsche Connect app, which is clunky to use but can initiate a charge, and since it is aware of your Porsche ID and services can initiate the "free" charge. Finally, there is the Charging NA (aka Charging America) app, which is a derivative of the EA app that is aware of your Porsche ID and charging plan. Why they didn't just build this in to the core EA app is a mystery to me.

As for information in one place, I don't know much about the EA home charger, but I use the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect that I purchased with the car, and it is a "smart" charger and linked to my My Porsche account. As a result, if I go to My Porsche online I can see my charging history including my home sessions, my mobile sessions when I've taken the PMCC with me, and my DCFC sessions at Electrify America:

1614554803055.png

In the pic above, the last entry is an Electrify America DCFC and the others are my home.

I have charged at a couple non-EA DC chargers, and I've used a Level 2 EVSE that wasn't the PMCC once or twice and these do not appear on My Porsche, but 98% of my charge history is available. I can even export it to CSV if I want the data for any reason.

Brent
Thank you so much for the fantastic response. I have a 2021 on order, and plan on using the plug & charge feature. Meaning, I should not have to use any of those apps - correct? I should be able to just plug-in and it will charge… And assume that it will recognize my first three years free and give me my first 30 minutes free of charge on EA stations right

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much for the fantastic response. I have a 2021 on order, and plan on using the plug & charge feature. Meaning, I should not have to use any of those apps - correct? I should be able to just plug-in and it will charge… And assume that it will recognize my first three years free and give me my first 30 minutes free of charge on EA stations right
Yes, and I'm envious :) I'm hopeful and reasonably confident that Plug and Charge will be retroactively enabled for MY2020 cars. Until then, I have the extra step of the App dance.
Sponsored