First Porsche Track Experience - Advice

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Nah, Archimedes can keep trol.^H talking.
I imagine Archimedes as that guy on the football team who walks around the locker room after a game and grabs the nipples of other guys who are not paying enough attention. It's hilarious when it happens to someone else, but it can get old, and for God's sake stay away from me as I personally have never been into that titty twisting sh@t. :)
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think when people say "smooth is fast", everyone thinks that means smooth inputs are fast.
Not everyone.
I could feel when I made good choices. The car went through the turn smooth.
I think of it the same as any other control system. If I’m trying to move something, I’m first going to calculate the optimal motion profile. Then I’ll calculate as many outputs as I’m in control of as much as possible to execute that profile depending on the knowledge of the system. Then run closed control loops on the outputs based on error.

It’s the final profile that counts. Not the individual outputs. And a smooth output is not always better. That’s what derivative gains are for.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I imagine Archimedes as that guy on the football team who walks around the locker room after a game and grabs the nipples of other guys who are not paying enough attention. It's hilarious when it happens to someone else, but it can get old, and for God's sake stay away from me as I personally have never been into that titty twisting sh@t. :)
Do you often find yourself imagining men’s locker room scenes?

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
Do you often find yourself imagining men’s locker room scenes?
You be you. As I said, I’m not into your games, but I’m also not a cop or a karen.

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
4 laps?! Just a small hit from the crack pipe to get you hooked. Turned into an 8 year rabbit hole for me.

Send it. The instructor and the Porsche nannies will keep you going in the right direction.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
4 laps?! Just a small hit from the crack pipe to get you hooked. Turned into an 8 year rabbit hole for me.

Send it. The instructor and the Porsche nannies will keep you going in the right direction.
I think I am in need of some adrenaline-inducing hobbies.

1. I'm hitting my forties soon.
2. Already do a lot of zen stuff, yoga, etc.

Want to get the blood pumping. Also start picking up some running? Something to balance out

Psyched.

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
I started off relatively slow and smooth and built up speed from there. Listened to the instructor and gradually got faster and braver and trusted the car more and more. The instructors are great at coaching you through it. Thankfully I don’t have to un-learn any really bad habits, but he was great at feeding out tips but by bit. Mostly: enjoy it and don’t worry about being the fastest on the track. It’s highly unlikely you will start your F1 career here, so just go out to have fun.
Bad habits like in trying to drift every corner?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Bad habits like in trying to drift every corner?
:CWL: I guess that could be one of them. He didn’t say what they could have been but said I didn’t have any particular bad ones 🤷🏼 I wasn’t attempting to go all the way round every corner with the accelerator pinned 😁

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Pro tip: If you want to drive anything like Ken Block, you need to turn off PSM by holding the PSM button for a couple seconds. If you have sport Chrono it will switch to PSM Sport first but you have to keep holding to get all the nannies turned off. May be the same procedure in the 911 that the OP is renting.

This will give your instructor early warning for what they’re in for.

I’m not responsible for any shenanigans that may ensue.

OP, when and where is your special day?
Sponsored