First Porsche Track Experience - Advice

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
Will be doing my first-ever track experience for beginners. 1-hour session, 20-minute walkthrough, 4 laps in a rental 992 (would prefer my DD taycan, but apparently the list for those that will bring their own car is filled, weird.)

I've never driven on the track before and really excited. I persuaded my wife to let me do this on the preconception that this is a safety-oriented driving class.

So should I just try to get the best lap time and adrenaline rush or take it easy?

Any other recommendations?
Sponsored

FlyDriveBike

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo, Panamera Turbo
Country flag
If it's not your car, you won't be able to work your way up to it's limits, and with limited time, just go for it. You'll have an instructor, and it's very unlikely you'll take the car to actual max performance, so listen to your instructor and have fun!

Buckets265

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT4
Country flag
I have not done a Porsche Track Experience, but have tracked a GT3. It was my first time, and the instructor told me to take it easy and get a feel for what the car is doing, watch braking zones, and focus my eyes on the next turn. No need to get the best lap times until you figure out how to drive the car first ;)

OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
I’m watching YouTube vids of pros in gt3rs going flatout on the Nurburgring and thinking I can do the same. Delusional I know, haha but I lack a realistic reference point to anchor on.

want to at least throw some g’s around and really see how these cars can grip.
absolutely pumped.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
  • smooth is fast
  • listen to your instructor
  • review the insurance deductible amount before deciding what to do
  • I think you'll have more fun if you let it come to you rather than pushing it
  • be prepared to be sucked into doing it again
  • speed only comes with seat time - and you're going to have limited seat time, therefore you're going to have limited speed
have fun - there is nothing to "win" here - but you can begin the journey into a great hobby.

it's taken me years to learn how to be this slow…

enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCYL725

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
It’s only four laps so you better go all out from the drop if you want the team owner to notice you. Remember the DE motto, win it or bin it.
Yessssssss.

I have spent some time studying the track on paper. I will see what I can do.

win it bin it!​
smooth is fast
listen to your instructor
review the insurance deductible amount before deciding what to do
I think you'll have more fun if you let it come to you rather than pushing it
be prepared to be sucked into doing it again
speed only comes with seat time - and you're going to have limited seat time, therefore you're going to have limited speed

have fun - there is nothing to "win" here - but you can begin the journey into a great hobby.

it's taken me years to learn how to be this slow…

enjoy!
thanks for share! I should record the experience as well.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Will be doing my first-ever track experience for beginners. 1-hour session, 20-minute walkthrough, 4 laps in a rental 992 (would prefer my DD taycan, but apparently the list for those that will bring their own car is filled, weird.)

I've never driven on the track before and really excited. I persuaded my wife to let me do this on the preconception that this is a safety-oriented driving class.

So should I just try to get the best lap time and adrenaline rush or take it easy?

Any other recommendations?
Have fun! As a noobie on the track, it’s never about lap times, but more about exploring the limits of your skills and the limits of the car. More than likely, you’ll hit the limits of your driving skills long before the limits of the car during your first session, but there are no limits to the fun you’ll have. The adrenaline rush will come naturally. Track events are a slippery slope though… next thing you know you’ll be dreaming of acquiring race-prepped track cars and wanting to do it every weekend.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I did my first (…and only) track experience last year at PEC ATL. I used it mainly to test drive cars because they weren’t available at dealerships.

This may sound dumb to people who track often, but here was my experience as a newbie.

To me the biggest difference to road driving was not having lanes. When I drive on the road, there’s a marked lane. And I stay in the lane. That’s where I drive. I don’t have a lot of choice there.

But on the track, there are no lanes. You do have choice. And those choices matter. When to brake, when to turn, what line to follow.

I could feel when I made good choices. The car went through the turn smooth. And I could feel when I made bad choices. The car did not go through the turn smooth. But I didn’t have enough time to get consistent with the good choices. Lots and lots of bad choices though. I’m pretty good at those.

That’s what stood out to me the most.

What @daveo4EV says about “smooth is fast” makes a lot of sense, but I couldn’t execute it without a lot more practice.

And I had a lot more than 4 laps. But maybe you’re a natural. 🤷‍♂️

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
learn to use your brakes - you really need to stand on them - you dont get heat build up in the tires or brakes on the road. Be smooth and work up your speed. Dont focus too much on the gears - if you have a smooth line your speed comes from that.

have fun and warn your wife that you will need more!!!

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
Pffffttt!!! It’s always about lap times.

If you ain’t winnin’, you’re losin’…
shhhhhh don't tell the OP that! You're not supposed to make attempts at winning an HPDE at least until the 3rd or 4th event or at least until you feel your instructor is holding you back :CWL:

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
I started off relatively slow and smooth and built up speed from there. Listened to the instructor and gradually got faster and braver and trusted the car more and more. The instructors are great at coaching you through it. Thankfully I don’t have to un-learn any really bad habits, but he was great at feeding out tips but by bit. Mostly: enjoy it and don’t worry about being the fastest on the track. It’s highly unlikely you will start your F1 career here, so just go out to have fun.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
My first track day was a magical introduction to a new world, that eventually led to competitive racing with PCA, SCCA and NASA.

On my first day, the driving instructor told me to open my door and reach down to touch the ground. He asked, "what is that?" I was puzzled, and so I said "Asphalt". He then said "You're G@d D@mned right. It's just a road, it's not magic, and the laws of physics continue to apply." He was right. It's easy to think that you are somehow a superhero behind the wheel of a car on a track, but unlike video games, you don't get to press reset if you make a mistake (and it can be very costly). But that's what makes it so awesome. But just don't be afraid to start out on the slow side and build up gradually. Track time can be overwhelming from a sensory standpoint, so you need to give yourself some time to get your legs under you. Unfortunately, 4 laps just isn't very long, so not much time to get used to anything, so just have fun.

Technique is also incredibly important, so take the time to listen and learn, as much of being a good driver is weight and tire patch management (not to mention brake and tire management). You can learn a lot if you listen. I started in 911s, and when I wanted to get a new race car, I was asking a mentor what he thought I should get (e.g., cup car, etc . . . ). He said "Well, that depends upon whether you want to drive a fast car or learn how to drive fast." I said I wanted to learn how to drive fast, so he said 'Buy the lowest HP car you can stomach and learn how to drive that car fast, because when you go back to a high HP car, nobody will be able to keep up." He was right. HP hides mistakes, but if you make a mistake in a low HP car, you can't hide, so you have to drive very well and carry every ounce of momentum through every corner . . .

Just have fun, listen, and don't feel you need to be Verstappen from day one . . .
Sponsored