Getting stuck/ can’t unplug at EA Chargers…

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
Over the last few weeks, I’ve been stuck at EA chargers 5 times after a successful charging session (either via plug-and-charge or by initiating the charge with the NA app). Each time, I could not unplug the car despite having stopped the charging session on the charger itself. EA always says that the session appears to be ongoing on their end, even though the charger is asking me to move the car. When this occurs, the charging button in my port either flashes white or turns red, and I get a “charging not available” PCM message. EA has to remotely turn the charger off, and then I can unplug. In between these sessions, I’ve had flawless charging, but it’s 50/50 on whether I’ll be able to unplug. It’s frustrating, to say the least.

We’re getting our home charger installed this week, thank goodness, but has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My preference is to stop the DC charging process from the car by pressure the disconnect button next to plug. What I do is...

1) First check if the door handle is retracted, because if it is, the car might of locked itself.
2) If the car is locked, I press the unlock button on my keyfob.
3) After that, I press the release button that's next to the plug and wait for the light that illuminates the charging port to light up.
4) Then I press the button to yank the cable out.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Have you tried the mechanical release?

1633555557648.png
thnaks for saving me the trouble of reading the manual, this is now burned into the brain.

OP
OP
Goldeneyez

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
Thank you! I located the mechanical release but haven’t tried it yet. I’m more concerned about why this is happening, and if there’s anything I can do to avoid it. Usually, if I press the release button next to the plug, the light flashes white or turns red. However, this is after I’ve stopped the charging session on the charger itself, so I’ll try doing it before, next time. The car has been amazing, otherwise!

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
thnaks for saving me the trouble of reading the manual, this is now burned into the brain.
Had to do that once (out of 4 charging sessions) at an EA charger. Does anyone know how to get the cord back into hole?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Had to do that once (out of 4 charging sessions) at an EA charger. Does anyone know how to get the cord back into hole?
Good to know app
Performing an emergency release on the vehicle plug.
States visit workshop.
Hope this is what you were looking for and helps.

Porsche Taycan Getting stuck/ can’t unplug at EA Chargers… 293CC995-009B-4AB3-8EF8-C6072709A654

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Just feed it in slowly and carefully manually..I have had to do it! I even made a tool out of coat hanger wire in case I need to do it again. BTW if that happens try this: PCM | Charger | .... is a good way to force release and seems very reliable. I also found out that putting the car in Drive and moving it slightly forces a release!

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good to know app
Performing an emergency release on the vehicle plug.
States visit workshop.
Thanks! When I called the SA they told me the tech's could show me how it's done if I bring the car in. I'll try the "feed it back into the hole slowly" method first.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW if that happens try this: PCM | Charger | .... is a good way to force release and seems very reliable. I also found out that putting the car in Drive and moving it slightly forces a release!
I'll try that on the next occasion, before pulling on the chord (again).

AGM

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TSX
Country flag
I'm having the same trouble at home. Sometime the Taycan will not let me release the charger. If I attempt to put the car in Drive, a notice will come onto the screen telling me I can't, but it lets go of the charger, so I can now easily remove it. I don't know why this is happening, but at least I know how to remove the charger quickly.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Goldeneyez If you have not tried it, if charging stays on after you have tried port button, use the option to stop charging in the PCM:
home....charging....<. . .> ....vehicle plug - end charging process.​
If you do this, you have a limited time (20 seconds?) after ending charging process to remove the charging plug at the port.

Edited:
Before you attempt to stop charging with the green lit button by the port, try pressing unlock on your key fob a couple times to cause the port to unlock and release the plug. Even if car appears to be "unlocked", sometimes port lock needs extra unlock signal before that button will stop charging and/or the plug can be removed.

If red error light comes on and won't go off even after charging has stopped, do the walk away for 10 minutes to reset the car.
Turn on/off switch to off, exit car, lock the car, take key fob out of range of the car, and come back after 10/15 minutes.

You probably know this but I will share it anyway. Once charging has stopped, you must wait until the white light in the port that shines down on the top of the plug illuminates before you can unplug. Often hard to see on sunny days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goldeneyez

Goldeneyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes GL350
Country flag
Thank you! I located the mechanical release but haven’t tried it yet. I’m more concerned about why this is happening, and if there’s anything I can do to avoid it. Usually, if I press the release button next to the plug, the light flashes white or turns red. However, this is after I’ve stopped the charging session on the charger itself, so I’ll try doing it before, next time. The car has been amazing, otherwise!
@Goldeneyez If you have not tried it, if charging stays on after you have tried port button, use the option to stop charging in the PCM:
home....charging....<. . .> ....vehicle plug - end charging process.​
If you do this, you have a limited time (20 seconds?) after ending charging process to remove the charging plug at the port.

If charging has stopped, and you still cannot remove the plug, try pressing unlock on your key fob a couple times to cause the port to unlock and release the plug. Even if car appears to be "unlocked", sometimes port lock needs extra unlock signal.

If red error light comes on and won't go off even after charging has stopped, do the walk away for 10 minutes to reset the car.
Turn on/off switch to off, exit car, lock the car, take key fob out of range of the car, and come back after 10/15 minutes.

You probably know this but I will share it anyway. Once charging has stopped, you must wait until the white light in the port that shines down on the top of the plug illuminates before you can unplug. Often hard to see on sunny days.
thank you! We installed a home charger shortly after I wrote that and haven’t used charging stations much since then. The last time I used EA, it worked fine, but it has definitely made me wary. No issues at ChargePoint or any other chargers. Still LOVE the car and get compliments on it almost daily (a passenger in another vehicle gave me a thumbs up yesterday, LOL)!
Sponsored