Domy69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s crossturismo, X5 M50d
Country flag
If I ordered a taycan it is to have a sport tourismo capable of giving me emotions and pleasure in sporty driving with a practical and comfortable daily.
I buy a 4S and not a GTS or TURBO in this sense (but with torque vectoring system :bandit:)

I will never go on circuit with I leave that to the 911 without hesitation!! Everything is top on the Taycan but the weight means it can't be in the sports car category.

On the other hand, this kind of video I really like because it shows how well a family car manages to defend itself against a competition machine and how to Porsche is the only one on the market actually to having succeeded in making a real pleasure car (electric)
Sponsored

rhoyle

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, 981 GT4, Range Rover SC
Country flag
I think it's silly to compare a 911 to a Taycan.
1. A 911 is a thoroughbred sportscar, the Taycan isn't.
2. The Taycan is electric, a 911 isn't.
3. A Taycan is heavy, a 911 is much lighter.
4. A Taycan can carry 4-5 people with luggage, a 911 only 2 (or you just don't love your kids).
5. If you compare a Taycan to a 911 it means it's a compliment for the Taycan, not the other way around.
6. Stop this bullshit. 😁
Just a point of clarity, the modern 911 is more a GT than a sportscar.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
That depends which 911 you are referring to.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Ironically the GT-designed 911 models are the real sports cars. But I’d wager that >95% of 911 sold are not Gt3, GT3RS or GTS cars, so as a whole I completely agree with your point that 911 are no longer in the sports car category

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I just can't bring myself to turn in my 911S for a Taycan- keep going back and forth...... (I know I know- why not keep both?) Try explaining that to my wife!
don’t think for a second that the 911 and the Taycan are interchangeable.

I’ve owned both and I regret selling my last 911, now with Taycan missing mostly the 911’s reliability, lightness, RWD, and the emotional attachment I had to it which the Taycan hasn’t been able to emulate.

The Taycan drives very well, blows the performance of my 911 out of the water, has room for family etc.

I’m on the lookout for another 911, probably manual. I’ll likely keep it forever and not decided yet if it should replace or complement the Taycan, because they’re so different from each other and serve different purposes.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
don’t think for a second that the 911 and the Taycan are interchangeable.

I’ve owned both and I regret selling my last 911, now with Taycan missing mostly the 911’s reliability, lightness, RWD, and the emotional attachment I had to it which the Taycan hasn’t been able to emulate.

The Taycan drives very well, blows the performance of my 911 out of the water, has room for family etc.

I’m on the lookout for another 911, probably manual. I’ll likely keep it forever and not decided yet if it should replace or complement the Taycan, because they’re so different from each other and serve different purposes.
Oh, I cannot imagine what one could find appealing about a normally aspirated RWD 911 with an 8.5K redline and manual transmission. Why would anyone hang onto it for decades despite "improvements" for newer models?

Porsche Taycan HAGERTY's Taycan vs 911 review - by Henry Catchpole Interior.JPG

Porsche Taycan HAGERTY's Taycan vs 911 review - by Henry Catchpole DSC_0151

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcg

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
Oh, I cannot imagine what one could find appealing about a normally aspirated RWD 911 with an 8.5K redline and manual transmission. Why would anyone hang onto it for decades despite "improvements" for newer models?

Interior.JPG

DSC_0151.jpeg

Wow, absolutely beautiful car!! Enjoy

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you know what the weight distribution of the various iterations of the 911 are?
I just found this. I can't vouch for accuracy, but it seems to generally match what I have been told/seen for my cars. Seems like the impact would increase with weight, but that impact would also be offset by electronic stability control on the newer, heavier cars . . . Not unstable or dangerous (or tail happy), but definitely enough to have an impact. One real difference that I've felt on a track is that a mid engine spins like a top if you go charging through the limit, which seems to minimize potential damage, while the 911s tend to be like a hammer throw and swing off the track more (into the awaiting arms of friendly tire walls). So, yeah, that can be a thing too.

"991.2 GT3RS no driver, full tank: 39.1% front, 60.9% rear.

991.2 GT3RS 175lb driver, full tank: 39.5% front, 60.5% rear.

Has roll bar and harnesses.

991.1 GT3RS no driver, full tank: 39.4% front, 60.6% rear

Has OEM roll cage and Akrapovic exhaust.

991 50th Anniversary 186lb driver, 3/4 tank: 38.7% front, 61.3% rear.

1989 Carrera 3.2 Anniversary Edition 197lb driver, 3/4 tank: 41.9% front, 58.1% rear.

Unknown early 911 hot rod unknown weight driver driver, unknown fuel: 38.6% front, 61.4% rear.

1966 911 stock, unknown weight driver, full fuel: 40.4% front, 59.6% rear.

1970 911E stockish, unknown weight driver, 1/2 fuel: 42% front, 58% rear.

Anecdotal 1972 car built to 1972 Group 4 specs: 39% front, 61% rear.

1970 911S Euro with lightweight Scheel seat and slider, 185lb driver, 3 gal fuel: 42.7% front, 57.3% rear.

1971 911S with 2.7, suspension work, lightening work including lighter bodywork, 180lb driver, 8 gal fuel: 37.1% front, 62.9% rear.

1968 911R, unsure weight in driver's seat, unsure fuel level: 48.2% front, 51.8% rear total weight 1407lbs (!) or 638.5kg.

Keep in mind we don't necessarily know how well all these scales were leveled and they're all from different shops."

Porsche Taycan HAGERTY's Taycan vs 911 review - by Henry Catchpole hammer-Highland-Games-Scotland.jpg copy

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m sure you won’t regret, but why take the chance? Keep both!
LOL! Definitely wish I could keep both, but unfortunately I have to consolidate my cars to fit into a 3 car garage -- my 16 year old daughter just started driving, and it's certainly not a Porsche. ;)

My wife's Macan just arrived, and my Boxster 550 Spyder edition is for sale. So that leaves one spot for me, and I have to decide Taycan versus 911. Will definitely let y'all know how the 992 T works out! [build code PPM3E2N9]

Porsche Taycan HAGERTY's Taycan vs 911 review - by Henry Catchpole taycan

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Interestingly, I read the responses to the OP's post. Having owned several 911's and a current GT3 owner, I think I am qualified to opine!

The Taycan is great vehicle, truthfully I look forward to getting in to it everyday as my DD. It still excites me, more so than any 911 I have ever owned on a daily basis, including my GT3 (as a daily driver)

We all expect different feedback from our vehicles, depending on the mission/drive. The Taycan is extraordinary at every level. It is a disservice to compare the Taycan to the 911. It is not engineered like a 911. The physic's can not be denied. The car is too damn heavy.
I have neither the time, inclination or stamina to explain why. Ask anyone that owns both and I sincerely doubt that I will be excoriated.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Absolutely not*.
It's your opinion and that's fine.
But the 911 is designed as a thoroughbred sportscar (with many variant, GTx/RS).
It drives very well, even on long drives, it's very versatile but to me it doesn't sound right when you classify a 911 as a GT.

*=This GT definition has many opinions. 😉
I think it depends on your age and from what era you are.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/what-does-gt-mean-on-cars-where-did-it-come-from/

PS I like my Taycan Turbo S way way over the 992 C4S...it almost feels outdated...
But then again, the Taycan has its limits, pure due to its weight, it's as simple as that.

Porsche Taycan HAGERTY's Taycan vs 911 review - by Henry Catchpole IMG_20200507_172955722_HDR

Last edited:

tomtom901

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD ST
Country flag
PS I like my Taycan Turbo S way way over the 992 C4S...it almost feels outdated...
But then again, the Taycan has its limits, pure due to its weight, it's as simple as that.
Hot damn, a Taycan Turbo S and a 992! I'll be looking up where you live Dee, don't be suprised if you see somebody drooling a bit near your street! :CWL:

I know you're one of the earlier Taycan owners with a 2020 model right? How's that holding up so far?

• Haha
Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Hot damn, a Taycan Turbo S and a 992! I'll be looking up where you live Dee, don't be suprised if you see somebody drooling a bit near your street! :CWL:

I know you're one of the earlier Taycan owners with a 2020 model right? How's that holding up so far?
I had the 992 as a loaner while my Taycan was in the shop after a rear end collision after just 78km by someone texting...🤢
Nothing serious but waiting for parts took two months.
So two months of 992 driving so I have a good comparison between the two.

My Taycan holds up very well, no serious problems after 30K kms now.
I just love this car, best car I've ever had. 💪🏻🥳🚀

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, just reminded how fantastically practical the Taycan really is. Running errands on a beautiful sunny day, about 47 degrees with windows down to let sun in with the full comfort of knowing that the Taycan will hide my innumerable deficiencies as a driver and trundle me along without having to put too much work into it and the Burmester will hide my innumerable deficiencies as a vocalist while I belt out "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles, one of the few songs I can sing in my native accent without having to change a thing to blend right in . . .

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A 35mph difference in turn? That's laughable. Your trollish posts never disappoint. Zero credibility.
Seems you struggle with reading comprehension. I said the Taycan gets scary at 90, not that it couldn’t go faster. It lacks the feel required to have any confidence. That said the GT4 will run much higher mid corner speed than the Taycan.

And why would I troll about a car I own?:CWL:
Sponsored