Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
And it was boring. So boring. The first second or two, yeah, okay, but after that…

There’s no sound…and it’s so smooth after the initial jerk….

The closest thing I could liken it to is riding in an elevator. 🛗
Have you tried putting one of these in the back seat? It should help with the sound situation. If you don’t have one, maybe someone can lend you one for the afternoon.

Porsche Taycan my Taycan vs my 911 IMG_6321
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have a DIY kit at home, but it takes like 9 months.
Awesome!

If you could, when you have time, can you post the step by step instructions in the “Modifications and Customizations” section. I’m sure it could be helpful for other members on here.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Agree so much on the lack of noise. Deceptively fast, but boring.

I wonder who decided to design EVs to be as silent as possible. Raw motor noises are actually pretty cool. Here’s a preview of some experimenting I’ve been doing recording EV sounds.
When I bought my Taycan I was looking for a quiet comfortable car with a good turn of speed when I wanted. It does that perfectly IMO.

On the test drive the sales person put on the faux noise and I switched it off after a few seconds. WTF is the point? IMHO anyway.

I do have a sportscar with a flat plane crank V8 which sounds way better than any 911 I have tried but it is tiring after a while, thrashing around Scotland is fun but far from relaxing.

I never saw the Taycan as a sportscar replacement and still don’t so I am never disappointed in it because it does exactly what I wanted and expected better than I could have hoped.

It is much better at overtaking on the short stretches of road where it is feasible around here than any 911 would be, particularly one with a turbo.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Awesome!

If you could, when you have time, can you post the step by step instructions in the “Modifications and Customizations” section. I’m sure it could be helpful for other members on here.
I found video tutorials online. I tried to post but admin keeps deleting. 🤷‍♂️

PorscheCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo CT
Country flag
I have both, 992 tts and a new Taycan turbo CT, non-s, replacing the saloon with pdcc. Great driving dynamics for such a heavy thing.

However, the 992 composure and surgical approach on narrow alpine roads is unbeatable, with the exception of porsche GT products and the model s plaid 😆.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I bought my Taycan I was looking for a quiet comfortable car with a good turn of speed when I wanted. It does that perfectly IMO.
I agree with the quiet being desirable for most driving.

However, in the case of just accelerating flat out for a period of time, it just feels weird. And add to that how smooth it is, there just’s no change; It doesn’t feel like anything is going on at all, for such a long period of time. The elevator comment wasn’t a joke. That’s really what it felt like.

C&D has 0-130 at 13.9 seconds for a 4S. That’s a long time to sit and feel like nothing is happening. I mean, I of course stopped at legal speed limits when I drove. But theoretically….

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, the 992 composure and surgical approach on narrow alpine roads is unbeatable,
We are (unfortunately) somewhat short on narrow alpine roads around here. Can I interest you in a long flat straight along a cornfield?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, in the case of just accelerating flat out for a period of time, it just feels weird. And add to that how smooth it is, there just’s no change; It doesn’t feel like anything is going on at all, for such a long period of time. The elevator comment wasn’t a joke. That’s really what it felt like.
What I use acceleration for is to get by a stream of slower cars before the next blind corner.
A nice flat power curve is exactly what you need for that so the EV is better for my normal use.

OTOH what we are used to is motors with a very narrow band over which they work reasonably well due to the vagaries of gas flow and combustion and we are used to a number of fixed gear ratios to match the actual road speed better to the poor characteristics of an IC engine.
So what people are used to is intermittent good performance accompanied by short periods of deceleration during gearshifts and the inevitable uneven flow of performance from the engine.

It is familiar rather than good.

When we were working on a CVT for Formula 1 we needed at least 12 ratios to match its performance with a fixed ratio gearbox. Cars are getting more ratios now, but still not enough to be objectively good rather than subjectively familiar.

I do have fun driving my 6-speed manual sports car with no driver over-rides but that is for satisfaction (and fear sometimes with no stability help)…

I haven’t used it once since I got the Taycan.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I use acceleration for is to get by a stream of slower cars before the next blind corner.
A nice flat power curve is exactly what you need for that so the EV is better for my normal use.

OTOH what we are used to is motors with a very narrow band over which they work reasonably well due to the vagaries of gas flow and combustion and we are used to a number of fixed gear ratios to match the actual road speed better to the poor characteristics of an IC engine.
So what people are used to is intermittent good performance accompanied by short periods of deceleration during gearshifts and the inevitable uneven flow of performance from the engine.

It is familiar rather than good.

When we were working on a CVT for Formula 1 we needed at least 12 ratios to match its performance with a fixed ratio gearbox. Cars are getting more ratios now, but still not enough to be objectively good rather than subjectively familiar.

I do have fun driving my 6-speed manual sports car with no driver over-rides but that is for satisfaction (and fear sometimes with no stability help)…

I haven’t used it once since I got the Taycan.
Yes, I agree, describing my own feelings is entirely subjective.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Raw motor noises are actually pretty cool. Here’s a preview of some experimenting I’ve been doing recording EV sounds.
I was playing this video this morning and my wife walks over and asks “What’s that noise?”

“It’s a car.”

“Oh….I though you were watching a vacuum cleaner.”

🤣

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag

On the test drive the sales person put on the faux noise and I switched it off after a few seconds. WTF is the point? IMHO anyway.

I do have a sportscar with a flat plane crank V8 which sounds way better than any 911 I have tried but it is tiring after a while, thrashing around Scotland is fun but far from relaxing.

I never saw the Taycan as a sportscar replacement and still don’t so I am never disappointed in it because it does exactly what I wanted and expected better than I could have hoped.

It is much better at overtaking on the short stretches of road where it is feasible around here than any 911 would be, particularly one with a turbo.
Totally agree (and I'm afraid the video clip of the "motor noise" just reminded me of the worst elements of driving a race car with bad transmission whine).

I quite like the faux noise, my kids more so. But I'm finding I don't have it on most of the time now.

I had the same flat plane crank V8 for 8yrs and 60k miles. Probably the car I miss the most in most respects. And have had a few nice sounding cars over the years. But as I get older I find it can be a pita when the majority of what I do in the car is longer distance family trips, or trips where I just need to get somewhere early or late.

Fortunately I have access to a couple more raw cars (one very much so, with no windscreen, doors and 2ft licks of flame from a side exit exhaust). They're used sparingly. A bit like the silly hot chilli sauce in the fridge that comes out every now and then, but is a bit antisocial around the family and friends :D

(This is also a big shift for me in the last 10-15yrs. I used to use the raucous stuff daily then).

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the same flat plane crank V8 for 8yrs and 60k miles. Probably the car I miss the most in most respects
I made the mistake of selling my daily, a TVR Griffith 4.3 big valve, in around 1996. I am keeping this one for now. I did consider a 911 at the time but the normal one felt slow (about 300kg heavier and a bit less power) and the turbo had hateful levels of lag making it useless as my daily.

OTOH I am well into my 70s and the Taycan is more up my street nowadays.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I made the mistake of selling my daily, a TVR Griffith 4.3 big valve, in around 1996. I am keeping this one for now.
OTOH I am well into my 70s and the Taycan is more up my street nowadays.
It seems like you and I have an overlapping car history.

Bought my 355 in '99. Sold in it '07 when a V8 Vantage took my eye (another great car, but with different strengths/weaknesses).

I still have a TVR Griffith 500 :) (And my beloved Caterham 7 of 27yrs).

I'm a chunk your junior (20yrs) but the Taycan appeals to me very much. It fits well with the age of my family at present, leaving the other cars for a bit of a wake up with one of the two boys or solo :D
Sponsored