Has it lost the WOW factor?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thank you for your candid comments. I am not trying to find a reason not to buy. I love the idea and have watched this car like all of us from 2015. I am not looking to be picky about certain things about the car, I was looking for overall satisfaction factor as most of us are coming from another Porsche and our expectations are different than those who come from other ICE cars or an EV.
I have owned 10 Porsches as well as other high end cars. Since you asked about the back up camera -- in the default view it is very fisheye. However, you can either select the rear camera that makes the view more realistic or rely on the surround view which is pretty good. If you want to play with other views there are some that are pretty cool. As others have said, the camera is not the main point with this car. It is a Porsche through and through.

The transmission and any perception of a gear change is there for a reason. It helps to make the Taycan perform like a Porsche. The "lurch" is not the same as the clunky gear shifts that you find in the automated single clutch in an exotic car that makes you feel nauseous from the back and forth between shifts. It is also not the same as the Launch control in the Porsche ICE vehicles. I remember in my Panamera Turbo that it was fun to shock people with Launch control, but the shifts between gears were violent. That is not what happens in the Taycan. In normal driving it is not perceptible.

I had a session in a Taycan Turbo S at the Porsche PEC Atlanta back in February. The instructor pointed out the shift as a distinguishing factor that made it possible for the car to continue to perform to the limits during spirited laps around the track. When I detect my Taycan 4S shifting it brings a grin to my face because then I know I am driving it the way it was meant to be driven. I have never owned an EV before. My comparisons are against other Porsches and high performance cars. I am not disappointed at all. I also made a conscientious decision to get the 4S instead of the Turbo or Turbo S. I have no regrets and that comes from someone who normally wants to tick the box for the biggest engine, most HP, etc.

It looks like we are neighbors. If you see a Mamba Green Taycan with vanity plates in Atlanta that will be me out for another ride.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I have owned 10 Porsches as well as other high end cars. Since you asked about the back up camera -- in the default view it is very fisheye. However, you can either select the rear camera that makes the view more realistic or rely on the surround view which is pretty good. If you want to play with other views there are some that are pretty cool. As others have said, the camera is not the main point with this car. It is a Porsche through and through.

The transmission and any perception of a gear change is there for a reason. It helps to make the Taycan perform like a Porsche. The "lurch" is not the same as the clunky gear shifts that you find in the automated single clutch in an exotic car that makes you feel nauseous from the back and forth between shifts. It is also not the same as the Launch control in the Porsche ICE vehicles. I remember in my Panamera Turbo that it was fun to shock people with Launch control, but the shifts between gears were violent. That is not what happens in the Taycan. In normal driving it is not perceptible.

I had a session in a Taycan Turbo S at the Porsche PEC Atlanta back in February. The instructor pointed out the shift as a distinguishing factor that made it possible for the car to continue to perform to the limits during spirited laps around the track. When I detect my Taycan 4S shifting it brings a grin to my face because then I know I am driving it the way it was meant to be driven. I have never owned an EV before. My comparisons are against other Porsches and high performance cars. I am not disappointed at all. I also made a conscientious decision to get the 4S instead of the Turbo or Turbo S. I have no regrets and that comes from someone who normally wants to tick the box for the biggest engine, most HP, etc.

It looks like we are neighbors. If you see a Mamba Green Taycan with vanity plates in Atlanta that will be me out for another ride.
Great feedback and honest insight. Would love to know your spec as my 2020 model because of COVID was moved to late September/October to I told the dealer I would wait for a 2021.

Coming from a 911, I am truly ready to see what Porsche can do in the EV segment. We only live once and it should be a fun ride. Please share your spec. I love the Mamba but I am going for Carmine Red so we will both stick out in the Atlanta highways.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have spoken to a few Taycan owners as I am waiting on my order and am getting mixed reviews on ownership. Some are saying that it just didn't have the wow factor they were hoping it would. What are your thoughts? Any bothered by the backup camera size? How about the lurching of the 2 gear system? Any thoughts as I am on the fence as to waiting until the bugs get worked out and sticking with another 911 or taking the plunge. Any insight is much appreciated.
I came from owning Japanese sports cards (3rd gen RX-7, 350Z, WRX, etc.) and have driven a mix of high-end cars (911's, Ferrari, Lambo, Nissan GTR, etc.). This car leaves me speechless. The instant acceleration and the ridiculously high cornering limit (even on the all-season tires) are really bonkers.

The car has its issues (e.g., glitchy software, an app that is really lacking, weak charging network), but the performance is first-rate.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please share your spec. I love the Mamba but I am going for Carmine Red so we will both stick out in the Atlanta highways.
My build code was PLSNQQN0. Post delivery I installed the clear side markers, and had the windows tinted with nano ceramic film. My favorite option on the car is the massage seats. I wish I added the fire extinguisher ($140). I found out yesterday from Suncoast Parts that Porsche will not allow it to be installed post build. It would be a nice pop of red in your Carmine Red Taycan.

OP
OP
rquinton

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
My build code was PLSNQQN0. Post delivery I installed the clear side markers, and had the windows tinted with nano ceramic film. My favorite option on the car is the massage seats. I wish I added the fire extinguisher ($140). I found out yesterday from Suncoast Parts that Porsche will not allow it to be installed post build. It would be a nice pop of red in your Carmine Red Taycan.
Nice build, I have the massage seats on my build or was going to get 18 way, I hated the 14 way on my 991.1. Do you think the 2+1 back seat is worth having? Where does the extinguisher go on this model? Your thoughts on the Bose and not having the performance sound?

What dealer did you buy it from?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fire extinguisher is for pure looks. In the scheme of Porsche upgrades it is pretty cheap. It installs at the base of the passenger seat. There is a debate on other threads about the Bose system. I have it and think it is fine. I do not like systems that lack bass. The subwoofer on the Bose adds the bass that the standard system lacks. I am sure that the Burmester sounds better but the price jump is money I put towards other options. The 2+1 seats gets rid of the big open storage space between the rear seats. I can also use the extra set of seat belts if I need to squeeze in a small passenger. When I ordered my car, the Porsche Exclusive options were very limited. If I ordered it today, I would have also spec'd the contrasting stitching on the black leather to match the exterior color (Mamba Green) as well as the seat belts in the exterior color. One of my other Porsches also has the vent slats in the exterior color (Guards Red) and it changes the entire interior.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I could write a novel on this topic, but AFAIC, the Taycan is a continuous grin machine for me. I came out of a 911 and was unsure about what to expect, but I’m still blown away by the car, in almost every aspect: design, usability, driving dynamics, range, and just overall fun factor. I’m generally an early adopter of tech but, knock on wood, have had a trouble-free experience with my car. I love the two-speed transmission as I miss the shifting in my 911 and don’t notice it when I tool around in Normal mode.

I understand the issues that some owners have experienced are real and frustrating, but it is the risk with any v1 product, even a Porsche. It’s my daily and fulfills my need for usable every day car and something I can whip on backroads and smoke most cars I come across.

Maybe I’m still in the honeymoon period, but so far the product has exceeded my expectations and while yes, it’s wicked expensive, such is life of us early adopters.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
If anything the WOW factor has increased for me. I took mine in yesterday for tint and ceramic. Totally miss just having it in the driveway to look at, much less driving it.

The price is 25% to high, the Connect app is utter garbage, and Electrify America needs a better response to malfunctioning chargers.

Of interest to me, but not most:

System more difficult to tune for more power (for now).
Battery replacement cost/availability in 10 years is a big unknown.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks like I won't be the only one with 2020 Bolt and 2020 Taycan Turbo in the garage. :p

I expect the Taycan to be a great car, and in 3-4 years there will be another great car I will replace it with. I don't think I'll end up missing it in the way I do the B7 RS4 and a manual transmission R8. Then again, I don't have one yet, so we'll see!

It was a pretty tough call to go with the Taycan over a 911 (or another R8), but I think the Taycan will be pretty awesome.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Coming from 3 Tesla's here, and a bunch of other mid-luxury cars (nothing exotic though). So here is my Tesla biased opinion:

1. Losing the wow factor. You must be kidding - the car is absolutely gorgeous. Never had so many people watching / giving me the thumbs up. I had one of the first model S in town, people were curios, very nice design, but the Taycan is in a different category. Just beautiful through and through.

2. The lurching. Yes in normal mode, no (or none that my behind can sense) in sport / sport+ mode. Since I kept my Tesla's in Sport mode, I think a fair comparison is with the Taycan in Sport mode (hence no lurch). Complaining about the lurch in normal is just like complaining a Tesla is slower in the "chill" mode. So - no . Only minor problem is that the car goes back every time to normal, so first thing when I start in the morning is engage sport mode.

3. The back-up camera. The fisheye is horrible. As said above, you can get rid of that part with an image very similar to other cars, but then the guides for backup are no longer displayed. I hope this can be improved through software. As others said, would not influence the decision to buy, but certainly room for improvement. The surround is nice, and I use it frequently instead of the backup image.

4. The software. This is the only area where Porsche has to learn. Like all non-Tesla cars I owned over the last 10 years, traditional manufacturers labor under the impression that submenu of a submenu of a submenu is the ultimate refinement in automotive user interface..... I think this is one of the very few area were Tesla has clearly the better technology (the other one being the supercharger setup).

So no regrets, enjoying every day the Taycan.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
Looks like I won't be the only one with 2020 Bolt and 2020 Taycan Turbo in the garage. :p

I expect the Taycan to be a great car, and in 3-4 years there will be another great car I will replace it with. I don't think I'll end up missing it in the way I do the B7 RS4 and a manual transmission R8. Then again, I don't have one yet, so we'll see!

It was a pretty tough call to go with the Taycan over a 911 (or another R8), but I think the Taycan will be pretty awesome.
I’ve spent considerable time in an R8, my pref is the Taycan, but I’m old, fat and happily married, so your mileage may vary. However, that new 911 Turbo S.......super tough call.

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Go drive it.

I can only share my experience: I owned a Ferrari California T, AMG GTS, 488 Spider, Two 718 Boxter Ss, a 911 Turbo S and a Panamera Turbo in the last 5 years. I only ever drove a friend's Tesla. I haven't owned one. Out of all of these cars the 911 Turbo came the closest to the Taycan Turbo I bought. I love driving the Taycan. Launch it, push it into corners, floor it from 60 to 120. It's mind boggling. The gear lurch isnt even a lurch. Its not an issue at all. It's a gear change. And doesn't add or distract to the car.

Is hard to dance to a song you have never heard before. You can read about the tempo and the lyrics in reviews and try to imagine it. But when you hear a song for the first time it comes to life. Your feet starts tapping and it sweeps you up. When it's done and you want to listen it again immediately you will know that it belongs in your library. If your feet doesnt move and if your heart is not pounding, skip to the next song. But before you decide, listen to it with the sound turned up load.

That's how you buy a car. Drive. Love it. Buy it. Don't like it, move on.

I will qualify all of this by saying that I will add a 992.2 911 Turbo S to the Taycan if it is an electrified hybrid. Don't crucify me but I think if they do it right that that might be an ultimate driving experience and the last gas engine car I will own.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Reading all this very positive experiences, I am looking forward even more to mine...
Sponsored