Head-up display no longer working

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Just got my new Taycan 4S in Dolomite grey ten days ago, and already with a potential issue :(

My HUD suddenly stopped working and nothing can fix it…
- All options in settings are on for HUD
- Tried a PCM reset with the double tap in corner and nothing
- Every time I now open the car, I hear a buzzing sound from the dash.

Anyone else got this before? Went to the dealer and mechanic on service Saturday could not connect to HUD unit and therefore will need to bring it in next week….

Hoping this is not the beginning of other issues, also noticing several error charging messages.

What’s crazy is that if it was any other car I would be furious, but I love this car and it’s driving so much, keeping my cool :)
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The same thing happened to me yesterday. What are the chances of that? I tried to locate a fuse for the HUD but was unsuccessful.

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
This happened to me last month. I took it in, the service department hooked it up and it immediately returned to life. No issues since then.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This happened to me last month. I took it in, the service department hooked it up and it immediately returned to life. No issues since then.
Hooked what up, exactly?

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hooked what up, exactly?
I assume their computer that scans for error codes. All I was told was as soon as they plugged it in (to that device? system?), HUD came back on.

OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I assume their computer that scans for error codes. All I was told was as soon as they plugged it in (to that device? system?), HUD came back on.
Unfortunately when they connected their computer, all they told me was that it could not detect the HUD…. And so it’s either a fuse or a dead HUD. But could not check further on a Saturday…..

OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The same thing happened to me yesterday. What are the chances of that? I tried to locate a fuse for the HUD but was unsuccessful.
Wow, this can’t be a coincidence… also noticed in the logs that a medium level OTA was pushed also yesterday… wondering if this is what caused it.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, this can’t be a coincidence… also noticed in the logs that a medium level OTA was pushed also yesterday… wondering if this is what caused it.
This would be good to know so I can stop troubleshooting. It also means we might have to wait awhile for a fix. It was working just fine .. and then it wasn’t. The car was parked.

Njsimons13

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order), Taycan 4s, Q8, SQ5
Country flag
Where would you find this info? Medium level OTA

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Talked to my dealer today. A replacement HUD is on order, but Porsche provided the tech with a new procedure they would like him to try before replacing the unit. Unfortunately the next available appointment is 3.5 weeks away. Perhaps by then the part will have arrived so if the ‘soft’ procedure doesn’t work they can still fix it with the hardware swap.

Anyone else?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer returned the car today. Hardware swap wasn’t necessary. The “procedure” porsche gave them worked. I don’t know exactly what they did, but they did disconnect the 12v for 30 minutes. My service advisor mentioned new software, but it’s not mentioned on the invoice.

Briboynyc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron GT
Country flag
Today I noticed that my HUD stopped working. I climbed in the car and heard strange buzzing sound. Didn’t give it much thought but as I was driving I noticed the HUD wasn’t working. I even tried rebooting the MMI but to no avail. Now when I enter and exit the car (powering up and down) I hear this strange buzz but still no HUD.

Interesting part I was googling this problem for an Audi etron GT and I found this posting for Taycan. Since they share many of the same parts (I have a part in my frunk that says Porsche) I'm wondering whether or not the HUDs are problematic across both cars

OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Today I noticed that my HUD stopped working. I climbed in the car and heard strange buzzing sound. Didn’t give it much thought but as I was driving I noticed the HUD wasn’t working. I even tried rebooting the MMI but to no avail. Now when I enter and exit the car (powering up and down) I hear this strange buzz but still no HUD.

Interesting part I was googling this problem for an Audi etron GT and I found this posting for Taycan. Since they share many of the same parts (I have a part in my frunk that says Porsche) I'm wondering whether or not the HUDs are problematic across both cars
Only way to fix it in my case was to
Unplug the 12v battery for 5 min for a reset.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I've just experienced the same HUD failure symptoms, so I've now joined the 12v-Reset Club. This is the first real issue I've encountered with my Turbo, which was built during February 2021, in which an item actually ceased to function properly without healing itself after a brief time. If nothing requires more serous repair work than this, I'll remain a delighted Taycan customer

The reset did indeed resolve the issue quite well, and without undue complexity, but I would like to mention a few tips for other HUD-lovers in the forum that might have this issue:

During this reset procedure, it's a good idea to let the driver door remain open. You cannot easily open the door while the battery is disconnected.

The manual describes how to access the battery, but it's simple enough to mention here. Just open the frunk lid, lift the hand recess openings on the cover immediately behind the frunk, slide the lid toward you, and set aside (I just let it rest flat on top of the frunk cargo space).

With a 10mm socket and short extension, loosen the negative terminal clamp nut. Lift the clamp off the post (I gently used a flat screwdriver as a lever), slide a flat sheet of electrically insulating material (for example, thick paper) between the clamp and the top of the terminal post, and let the clamp rest on this insulating sheet to prevent contact with the post for a few minutes.

Reverse the procedure and verify that the HUD is operational.

The Taycan might throw a few initial startup type notifications, like one telling you to press the brake to calibrate the brake sensor, etc. Your personal settings should remain intact.

Last edited:

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag
Dealer returned the car today. Hardware swap wasn’t necessary. The “procedure” porsche gave them worked. I don’t know exactly what they did, but they did disconnect the 12v for 30 minutes. My service advisor mentioned new software, but it’s not mentioned on the invoice.
If you mind send me your VIN, I can try to check what job they did to fix the hub.
Sponsored