Heat pump - is it worth ordering it in Spain?

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
Hi,
I am finalising my Taycan 4S order. In Spain (as opposed to e.g. the US) the heat pump is not standard, it is a 787 EUR option (approx 870 USD).

It is not easy to understand what the heat pump does and what you loose if you don't add it to the spec. There is some info in this PDF (https://newsroom.porsche.com/dam/jc...8b845e321/PAG_Taycan_Technology_PM_EN.pdf.PDF) but it is not conclusive.
Nor has the dealer been able to explain it to me.

It seems that it could add range at temperatures below 20C (68F), but not by how much. I might drive occasionally to the Pyrenees mountains so any range extension is welcome.

Any input or sources of info?

Thanks,

Sven
Sponsored

Mission4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Sven,

there is a range calculator on the Porsche website showing the differences of your expected range based on a lot of different parameters including turning on/off the heat pump.

For the Spanish website you will find the range calculator here:
https://www.porsche.com/spain/models/taycan/taycan-models/
On this page you should scroll down 4 pages until you find and click the button "Descrubir carga" to launch the range calculator.
(Porsche UK website shows the range calculator based on miles but without heat pump options here: https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/)
On the Spanish range calculator you can turn on/off the heat pump (Sistema de calefacción auxiliar).
Together with turning the air condition on/eco plus/off and reduce/increase the temperature you will find the largest range differences for the heat pump.

For example at -10 degree celsius (14 F) and air condition turned on the heat pump adds a range of 20 km (12.4 miles).
At +5 degree celsius (41 F) and air condition turned to eco plus the heat pump adds a range of 7 km (4.3 miles).
In case you turn off air condition the heat pump adds at any temperature no range at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fantasma

First Name
Sven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550i, Porsche Cayman GT4, Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Mk II
Country flag
Hi Sven,

there is a range calculator on the Porsche website showing the differences of your expected range based on a lot of different parameters including turning on/off the heat pump.

For the Spanish website you will find the range calculator here:
https://www.porsche.com/spain/models/taycan/taycan-models/
On this page you should scroll down 4 pages until you find and click the button "Descrubir carga" to launch the range calculator.
(Porsche UK website shows the range calculator based on miles but without heat pump options here: https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/)
On the Spanish range calculator you can turn on/off the heat pump (Sistema de calefacción auxiliar).
Together with turning the air condition on/eco plus/off and reduce/increase the temperature you will find the largest range differences for the heat pump.

For example at -10 degree celsius (14 F) and air condition turned on the heat pump adds a range of 20 km (12.4 miles).
At +5 degree celsius (41 F) and air condition turned to eco plus the heat pump adds a range of 7 km (4.3 miles).
In case you turn off air condition the heat pump adds at any temperature no range at all.
Thanks, this was very useful!

Is there any other advantage with the Heat Pump, in addition to the slightly longer range? The dealer told me that with the heat pump the car could optimise the battery temperature for charging (for instance when you are approaching a DC charging point), but I am not sure this is accurate and I think it would require Porsche Intelligent Range Manager as well.

miglio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s - Cayenne Coupe Hybrid - Carrera S 992
Country flag
Interested to the thread.

i cannot understand if with heat pump we have only a little bit benefits in range...and if is a must also in places like Spain o Italy where is very rare to have very low tempratures

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It’s cheap, just get it. Anything below 5 c and the heat pump will kick in.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
It’s cheap, just get it. Anything below 5 c and the heat pump will kick in.
A heat pump is much more efficient at getting some “warmth” out of cold air. I don’t know whether the heat pump is used in heating cockpit, but if it is, it’ll warm cockpit a lot more efficiently than heating wires. I mention cockpit because I’m sure heat pump is used in warming battery, but I don’t know about inside car.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A heat pump is much more efficient at getting some “warmth” out of cold air. I don’t know whether the heat pump is used in heating cockpit, but if it is, it’ll warm cockpit a lot more efficiently than heating wires. I mention cockpit because I’m sure heat pump is used in warming battery, but I don’t know about inside car.
The heat pump is about 4 times more efficient than heating wires. It does heat the cockpit. The battery is normally heated by the heat from inverters and motors if needed, but I guess at very low temperatures it will also be in the same heating circuit as the cabin heater.

Reactions: B61

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Interested to the thread.

i cannot understand if with heat pump we have only a little bit benefits in range...and if is a must also in places like Spain o Italy where is very rare to have very low tempratures
Depends where you live and how far you travel routinely. If you live in Sardinia, probably not however Milan probably yes. Having said that I think it should have even standard to be fair

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
A heat pump also works as air conditioner, meaning that you save energy also when the car is being cooled.

Reactions: B61

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Heat pump is a bit of a misleading name.
It's not only efficient to extract heat from (cold) air but it also generate cold when it's hot outside.
It works like a airco that can do both ways, warming and cooling.
Because it does this so efficiently (>300%) it can save you some range for free (well, for €787 that is...).

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
In the US the heat pump is standard equipment.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
In the US the heat pump is standard equipment.
Porsche NA execs said they fought had to get heat pump. Included in all NA Taycans. I applaud that.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Heat pump is a bit of a misleading name.
It's the physics name for a system that pumps energy from one system isolated from another. In physics, "heat" means energy transferred by temperature difference. It's only misleading in the sense that people don't know physics :p

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It's the physics name for a system that pumps energy from one system isolated from another. In physics, "heat" means energy transferred by temperature difference. It's only misleading in the sense that people don't know physics :p
Well, it took you quite some time to think of a proper answer... Lol.
Sponsored