First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2021 Chalk
Country flag
Picked it up today.

To be sure it was repaired I started pre conditioning half an hour before arrival. Freezing outside. Car was warm and battery more than 10 degrees.

Reading this forum I knew about the heater problem and recongnozed it immediately.

Really happy how things were handled bij Carrera Motors Porsche centrum East Flanders. Everything working after a week.

I am taking the car on a trip in two weeks and mentioned that in several mails I sent them last weekend.
Coldest weather front Atlanta has experienced in a decade…and no heat! Also grateful to others on this forum to be able to recognize the problem. Sad to say, but the nearest Porsche service department were not very helpful on the phone. Had to cross-examine him to admit that 1) the HV heater part is back-ordered, 2) they will not order one for my vehicle until THEY diagnose the problem, and 3) the earliest available service date is a month away. I always get the feeling the service department people wish they had never heard of the Taycan!
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
And to think the original worry was that EV's would reduce the use of service departments!
I think the real worry was about not being able charge for braindead scheduled maintenance, like “50 point inspection” which may or may not be done on your car as customers just have to take it on faith.

Actual repairs are much harder, so less profitable as you need to pay techs with more skills, provide loaners while parts are backordered, etc.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I’ve been reading about the heater failure, I cannot help but wonder whether having a broken heater would reduce the Taycan’s ability to keep its battery from freezing and therefore getting damaged.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I always get the feeling the service department people wish they had never heard of the Taycan!
Fixing Taycans with failed heating systems is increased revenue for dealer service departments, who get paid by Porsche or owners with cars out of warranty.
It would be very costly - and bad publicity - for Porsche to proactively recall all Taycans equipped with bad heating systems. Easier just to wait till they fail in winter and let owners and service departments sort it out.
Defective defrosting and defogging systems violate US vehicle safety standards, but having only three NHTSA complaints reported indicates there isn't much concern about it by US Taycan owners.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fixing Taycans with failed heating systems is increased revenue for dealer service departments, who get paid by Porsche or owners with cars out of warranty.
Are you sure Porsche corporate pays for everything, like loaner Taycans for however long it takes for the replacement heater to arrive and get scheduled for replacement? I always thought the dealer had a max amount they can charge for a particular service, and if the part is 6 months out and they have to provide a Taycan loaner for those 6 months, no way is Porsche paying for that. I could be wrong, hence my question to you.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you sure Porsche corporate pays for everything, like loaner Taycans for however long it takes for the replacement heater to arrive and get scheduled for replacement? I always thought the dealer had a max amount they can charge for a particular service, and if the part is 6 months out and they have to provide a Taycan loaner for those 6 months, no way is Porsche paying for that. I could be wrong, hence my question to you.
I am not sure.
I do know that some Porsche TSBs posted on NHTSA site specifically include providing loaners to customers affected by matters on those TSBs.
The TSB WLN2 to replace heaters on 57 Taycans described in this thread did not mention Porsche was covering loaners.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
My heaters packed up Christmas Eve. Well the blowers stopped working. I parked the car on my drive and put it on charge. A day later the car seemed to have fixed itself. 7000 miles in and this is a very glitchy car.

sky92

First Name
Gian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911.2 C2
Country flag
My heaters packed up Christmas Eve. Well the blowers stopped working. I parked the car on my drive and put it on charge. A day later the car seemed to have fixed itself. 7000 miles in and this is a very glitchy car.
Mine is blowing cold air...

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It may be on its way out....?

I made a journey (23 Dec) and my car very suddenly misted up in a matter of seconds while driving. I put the heater on full and max heat and it cleared and seemed ok.

Went to a meeting on 24 Dec and it felt cold. Turned heating up to max and no hot air - just cold (no misting though).
Parked up at home and tried pre - heat and it didnt work and gave error message.

Called Porsche Assist (AA) but couldn't get through as busiest day off the year!
Called dealer and they said they fitted the last HVAC that day and won't be able to do anything till after NY. Told to still call P Assist.

Called P Assist today. Car can only be picked up some time from w/c 3rd Jan to be taken to dealer and courtesy car to be supplied at that time.
Call handler had taken numerous Taycan heater calls recently.

Currently waiting to hear about specifics for pick up and courtesy car (minimum 1 week away).

It is what it is...... Having been involved in a couple of very serious road accidents over the years, stuff like this isn't too big a deal.
Nobody dead, nobody injured, car not totalled.
It just needs fixing at no expense to me, albeit some inconvenience.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
It may be on its way out....?

I made a journey (23 Dec) and my car very suddenly misted up in a matter of seconds while driving. I put the heater on full and max heat and it cleared and seemed ok.

Went to a meeting on 24 Dec and it felt cold. Turned heating up to max and no hot air - just cold (no misting though).
Parked up at home and tried pre - heat and it didnt work and gave error message.

Called Porsche Assist (AA) but couldn't get through as busiest day off the year!
Called dealer and they said they fitted the last HVAC that day and won't be able to do anything till after NY. Told to still call P Assist.

Called P Assist today. Car can only be picked up some time from w/c 3rd Jan to be taken to dealer and courtesy car to be supplied at that time.
Call handler had taken numerous Taycan heater calls recently.

Currently waiting to hear about specifics for pick up and courtesy car (minimum 1 week away).

It is what it is...... Having been involved in a couple of very serious road accidents over the years, stuff like this isn't too big a deal.
Nobody dead, nobody injured, car not totalled.
It just needs fixing at no expense to me, albeit some inconvenience.
Maybe? Hope not. It’s already been back to have USB and wireless charger repairs and a recall. Can’t be arsed going to the dealers again so soon. Hopefully it was just another glitch. We are away on holiday on the 30th so it needs to get us to the airport and back home. Then it can pack up as I’ll be wfh or on a train.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This unquestionably should be a recall. There is obviously a defect in the heaters. I encourage everyone who has had their heater fail to register a complaint with the NHTSA.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Coldest weather front Atlanta has experienced in a decade…and no heat! Also grateful to others on this forum to be able to recognize the problem. Sad to say, but the nearest Porsche service department were not very helpful on the phone. Had to cross-examine him to admit that 1) the HV heater part is back-ordered, 2) they will not order one for my vehicle until THEY diagnose the problem, and 3) the earliest available service date is a month away. I always get the feeling the service department people wish they had never heard of the Taycan!
Fortunately my dealer ordered the parts based on my description by email before the car even got there. It is so frequent they know the problem and even if it is not the heater they will certainly need it for another one really soon.

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
In the US, I was told the car must be brought in for diagnose as PCNA requires full diagnosis before they are allowed to order the part. I think this is specifically done to prevent stockpiling

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
In the US, I was told the car must be brought in for diagnose as PCNA requires full diagnosis before they are allowed to order the part. I think this is specifically done to prevent stockpiling
I think in Belgium it is the same and it makes sense. As this specific problem is so frequent and clear I think they did a work around. That is a typical Belgian way if handeling things. Maybe they ordered the part out of warranty and took care of paperwork later.
Sponsored