Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I have a 2 year old Taycan, which did not give me any trouble until now. I had the big software update done about a year ago at the dealer i bought it.

Last week i started getting back to back txts from my dealer scheduling department asking me to take the car to the service for another required software upgrade. I ended up driving there on Friday. One thing i specifically checked on the way was my heater, given well known problems. (It is a long drive to dealer so i wanted to make sure there was nothing else they needed to check). Heater was working like an oven. Anyways i got there rep said it is a PCM update, i was in a hurry to pick up daughter and they did not have loaners. So he said he will get it done quickly. 1 hour later he says I am done, and he said they did a multipoint inspection and I was missing a lift pad under the car, And i should bring the car back to get it fixed ($380 to fix have no idea how I lost it). Then I get this video of the car showing how the lift pad is not there but then i see front hood open in the video which was interesting.

Took the car back, did not pay attention to heat on the way (it was a warmer day anyways). Next day i wake up to a cold morning, i drive the car boom i am just getting cold air from vents. Heater dead. Next day same thing, my vents are like an F22 fighter jet no traceable heat at set to 85. I immediately called the rep and he says “well i just checked with my service guy and he says if that is the part he is thinking, it may take a long time to get it, unfortunately, so bring the car asap and lets see and if you don’t bring it tomorrow it may take even longer.... btw we don’t have loaners we can get you a lyft home if you want”.

Now after 2 years of no issues, odd set of events. What are the odds that my heater dies the week i take it to dealer (ok 1 in 104).Then i randomly check dealer’s website and they have a used taycan on the lot with lemon title. What is the reason for lemon? (I can see in car fax) “Heater issue not fixed in time”.

Now that makes me think. Call me conspiracy theorist (and i know this is a bit crazy) but if they have this lemon issue, is it possible they would swap a hard to find part into another car that has been waiting for a while and on the verge of becoming lemon? Or some other unhappy customer? Is this too crazy to think? Anyone experienced anything similar?
Sponsored

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
Others can confirm but I believe the heater replacement job takes 4+ hours(?), so I doubt that they could have swapped them and replaced/bled the coolant in just an hour.

OP
OP
Avantgarde

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Others can confirm but I believe the heater replacement job takes 4+ hours(?), so I doubt that they could have swapped them and replaced/bled the coolant in just an hour.
Ok this is a helpful input thanks. Did not know that.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
What bluesky said is correct. My Warranty receipt claims actual hours 5.86 and claimed hours 6.72. It is a big job. Your failure is a coincidence. Putting a heater with the latent defect through its paces like you did could cause it to fail. It started getting cold in Boston and not 48 hours after I started using my heat, the unit failed. Furthermore, the part is no longer in short supply. Porsche is notifying owners in colder climates in the USA to come in for a pre-emptive heater replacement. They wouldn't be doing that if they were swamped fixing failed units. My car was at the dealer getting the replacement when I got the notification. My car also needed a new rear strut, and that part took longer to get (a week).

JustWatching

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (April '22)
Country flag
My heater died on December 7th. Took it in evening December 13, picked up on Friday December 15. I am in New England. Looks like heaters can be had in the US.
Sponsored