andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Mine suddenly started working again after 3 days so cancelled the service call. Been fine since.

Quick update on mine. Confirmed with the dealer that they're replacing the heater and we're just waiting on the parts now.

Slightly off topic, but since I had mentioned it prior, they are also replacing the entire rear spoiler as well. Not just the actuators, but the entire thing where they had to send the part off to get painted.
Sponsored

ColoradoTaycan

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2015 GT3
Country flag
My heater broke this week as well. I already had an appointment today for a recall so they are looking at it. My service advisor mentioned they have had a lot of Taycans in recently needing a new high voltage heater (one just yesterday). I wonder if this is going to result in some sort of recall or technical bulletin.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I heard it quite frequently in the past months that Taycan's HV heater died and had to be replaced.

As most of you will probably lack a PIWIS3 or other diagnostic device, there is a trick to monitor the actual consumption of the (max 10kW) PTC heater at least in winter condition:
Let's suppose it will be a 3ph 11 kW charge

connect the car to AC charger,
turn off AC+heater,
stay in normal or range drive mode,
check the big battery display when charging, it will show either miles or km per minute like 0,6 km/min or the actual charging power of 10,x kW in that case,
toggle the display to see the charged distance per minute,
-> now switch on the heater, it will initially pull full 10kW to warm the cabin
this makes the net charge to the battery nearly zero,
-> which will make showing zero km or miles per minute.
(but still showing 10,x kW charge power)

if the HV heater is dead the displayed value will not change.

anecdote: I was checking a Taycan battery with PIWIS while charging at a HPC and I was expecting the heater to help the cold battery to warm up for faster charing. But no amps on the PTC and no increased temp of cooling circuit.
it was also quite cold in the cabin of the car and the owner was not really aware of it (being at ~5-7°C outside) but it was also not able to be heated, PTC was always at zero amps but surprisingly not a single error codes saved in ECUs responsible for cabin temp.

HV heater not working also mean: no preconditioning for HPC.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
It remains a mystery to me whether the "Heat Pump" is a true heat pump or part of a waste heat coolant pumping circuit.
heat pump in the Taycan and many other BEVs mean: adding a few valves to use the A/C compressor to reverse and act as a heat pump

this is a nice explanation:

Porsche Taycan Heater issues anyone? 1643290446957

it should be also quite obvious that the heat pump won't have any meaningful effect on heating/preconditioning the battery of a cold car. Only the HV heater (Z189) is doing it and wastes a lot of energy for that.

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Thanks. This is very useful, I had always questioned whether the Taycan "heat pump" was a classic heat pump (valve that reverses evaporator and condenser function). With no HV Heater (i had a bad one) I would have expected the heat pump to be able to warm the cabin after 20 min, but that didn't happen. So I have questioned what they called a "heat pump" might be a heat recovery system to recover excess heat from the battery and use it for the cabin.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
heat pump function will work fine on longer high way distances especially after a fast charge, when the battery is a 700kg heat energy buffer

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Me too. 2020 4S owned since Nov 2020. Fine through last winter in New England. First cold day earlier this month noticed no cabin heat. Told needs replacement heating element. Dealer ordered 11/10 and when I checked in yesterday was told no idea when it would be arriving. They told me it could be a while as normally Germany gets them an anticipated delivery date pretty quickly and they don’t even have that yet. And when I brought it in was told they have no loaners till late December. Maybe should be frustrated, but it is what it is and I actually feel for the dealership. They have almost nothing on the lot for sale and issues getting parts on the service side. The cars they do have in the nice new showroom(Burlington, MA) are marked up by a $10K dealer fee. Tough way to have to get by.
Safe to assume your heater was fixed? How long did it take for the part to arrive from Germany?

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Add mine to the list of cars that are without heat. Very fun in the middle of winter—and it’ll be -10F on Friday where I live. No word on when Germany will get a replacement heating component here.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine packed up a couple of days a go. Dealer picked it up today and exchanged it with an A6 estate!

What's the current lead time for the part?

Porsche Taycan Heater issues anyone? PXL_20220203_151156621.MP

Mylam

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DB11V12.
Country flag
Mine suddenly started working again after 3 days so cancelled the service call. Been fine since.
My Cross Turismo 4S has just got very cold for last few days - when on highest temp setting

looks like the same issue((

VOLT4GE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine packed up a couple of days a go. Dealer picked it up today and exchanged it with an A6 estate!

What's the current lead time for the part?

PXL_20220203_151156621.MP.jpg
Part arrived in two weeks in my case. One day in the shop for the heating element replacement. It’s good to have heat again.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got my car back from a software update /recall... the damn heater went dead.... the heater on this car was not very good to start with... back to the dealer again.... so frustrating...

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
which recall? got a name for that? WMP5?
my car is back an repaired, took 4 days but there were also a lot of pressure sensors replaced and tubes and whatever.

Lately I also heard of another inverter recall coming up??!

mokre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
I dropped my car off yesterday for AMC1, as well as a couple of other issues, and they added WMP5 to list of services. Here's the bulletin I found on the NHTSA site for WMP5: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10207260-0001.pdf

So far the heater in mine has been fine, but then I also live in SoCal and have never really needed any serious heating in the cabin...
Sponsored