Here is an interesting video about the repairability and details of the Taycan Battery pack

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Interesting - also in respect the potentially less structurally 'robust' nature of the extruded module enclosures relative to other competitor designs he mentioned which can supposedly take more abuse (but likely also weigh more?). I'd have to assume though that the crash testing of the Taycan did not reveal any significant added risk of their design to the overall integrity of the car - but it might speak to repairability.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Interesting - also in respect the potentially less structurally 'robust' nature of the extruded module enclosures relative to other competitor designs he mentioned which can supposedly take more abuse (but likely also weigh more?). I'd have to assume though that the crash testing of the Taycan did not reveal any significant added risk of their design to the overall integrity of the car - but it might speak to repairability.
The repairability is at the module level, not the cell within the module level. I suspect that Porsche would prefer the dealers simply replace the entire pack so that the process of re-sealing it after repair is controlled so the process from a consumer level is repairability is at the pack level.

One thing I noticed this morning about the cooling is that it's uneven. This morning when the pre-heat finished notice hit the app I went out to check cell temperature, because I wanted to know what temperature it heated the battery to. The interesting thing is that 1/3 of the cells were at 60 degrees Fahrenheit and the other 2/3 were at 54 degrees in a very cold-hot-cold cold-hot-cold pattern. I suspect that's an artifact of the way the cooling lines run underneath the pack. The lines from photos I've seen run under the middle of the modules so the pouches in the middle section of the module would seem to get an extra bit of heating or cooling compared to the outboard pouches in the module.

Extrapolating, I bet the upper part of the outboard pouches are the parts that get both too hot and too cold. It makes me wonder if there are heat pipes between the pouches bringing thermal energy from the top of the pouch to the heatsink that is the bottom of the module.

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
Concerning. I'm seeing two main coolant lines, with their plastic splitter, embedded in an area that appears to be inaccessible without dropping the batteries and possibly cutting off the cover. It appears that there is a bead of sealant around the open area which would imply those are totally hidden. This leads me to believe we are going to see coolant leaks there when these cars reach 10 years or so. That type of plastic typically becomes extremely brittle after years of heat cycling.
Sponsored