Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Question to our engineering-minded friends on this forum: does the Taycan's technical design allow for a future replacement of the current battery back with a superior battery pack if, say in three or four years, battery technology would leap forward so that significantly more capacity for a lower weight would be on offer? If that would be the case, it could be important in preserving the value of current Taycans or at least in preserving/upgrading the user experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Yep. AFAIK: Essentially the battery pack is one big flat unit (except for the "Performance Battery Plus"-part, which is more convoluted, geometrically), that is bolted onto the bottom of the car frame with about 30 screws and connected with a few connectors: HV, heat exchange and sensor/control connector.

The content of that pack could be quite different in the future, as long as the mechanical/stiffness properties and the connectors stay the same.

So weirdly, the car may actually improve over time!

Cheers,
Henrik

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I have a feeling Porsche will laugh at this and rather sell you a new car.
And if somehow there is an aftermarket solution, it would probably cost more than it’s worth.

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And if somehow there is an aftermarket solution, it would probably cost more than it’s worth.
Absolutely agree. I’m getting rid of mine in about 24months, hopefully with some facelift Taycan

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Companies like Ample are rapidly moving into this space (catching up with similar tech active in China) - if they can deliver what they promise (timeline?) it could be huge for certain applications in the Taycan but I’d assume Porsche would have to buy into the model to make it work financially for Ample.

https://apple.news/Au6dsEiBESoWqC1ncPjqVfQ

https://ample.com/

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche? Not in the lifetime of this universe. But maybe Rich Rebuilds could start a chain of battery swap shops.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
You are probably wrong.
Porsche has always been proud of how many of all the Porsches ever made are still being used so I am pretty sure there will always be battery replacements and it would make sense to use more recent cells if they are cheaper when re-packing the battery box.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I believe in a few years will see whole new businesses popping with battery replacement services; and potentially with better tech. Pattern parts exist for every other component, why wouldn’t they for batteries at some point.

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
You are probably wrong.
Porsche has always been proud of how many of all the Porsches ever made are still being used so I am pretty sure there will always be battery replacements and it would make sense to use more recent cells if they are cheaper when re-packing the battery box.
That’s like saying Porsche will allow you to put a 992 engine in your old 911… Makes no sense when their literal reason for existence is to sell cars. This is a corporation not your friend.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
That’s like saying Porsche will allow you to put a 992 engine in your old 911… Makes no sense when their literal reason for existence is to sell cars. This is a corporation not your friend.
No it isn't. That would not fit.
It is like still supplying new spares for an existing product. Like pistons for an old engine made on a CNC machine using better alloys.

In the case of a Taycan with modular battery it will be unlikely that a replacement in 6 years will be the same internally as the existing one, not least because the original chips and cells won't be available. But a complete assembly with equivalent or better performance, even maybe cheaper, will be available. Like hybrid batteries have been.

I would be sad if you are right, and it may be the case since VW are perhaps going to float the company and that is often the end of that sort of service.

It is certainly a risk to buy any modern chip based product and expect longevity.

I have already decided to only spend 25% of what I would have on anything containing a chip set which may have a life of only 5 years, so no more expensive computers or hifi for me!

My latest Macbook Pro is the most unreliable computer I have ever owned (in 35 years of home computing) and the one that preceded it had the worst battery life and most difficult and expensive replacement of any before that.
Shame, Apple is rich enough but now too greedy for me.
Sponsored