David Boyle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar First Edition
Country flag
I‘ve ordered a Taycan Turbo and after reading up on charging I’m still confused. My options are use the pmcc and get an electrician to install a 32w commando socket, or get some other home charger. Ive looked at a few, and a company who recommended the EO mini pro were pretty vocal in sharing their opinion of the pmcc being crap. any advice would be a massive help. Thanks
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I‘ve ordered a Taycan Turbo and after reading up on charging I’m still confused. My options are use the pmcc and get an electrician to install a 32w commando socket, or get some other home charger. Ive looked at a few, and a company who recommended the EO mini pro were pretty vocal in sharing their opinion of the pmcc being crap. any advice would be a massive help. Thanks
I've got the EO Smart Mini Home and it's worked brilliantly.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
I have both (commando 32amp at 2nd home & smart charger (Wallbox Pulsar Plus with govt grant support) at my main dwelling.

Both are encouraged to be governed by the Porsche charging system with commando needing the smart charger as an interface and its works really well. So in many respects the Commando is straightforward & cheap solution got most installations. I screwed back the 32amp to maybe 28/29amp as I’m told most new electrical devices can feed a little DC back up to the AC meter board snd throw the ECB - whether this was my reason for tripping the circuit or not, it’s resolved the problem.
As mentioned both supplies are 1phase so charging in/around 7kw & I let the car demand the timing of charge needed to have 85% charger by 7am and it’s always there ready for me on the 3-4 nights per week I opt to charge.

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countach, Diablo SE30, Taycan Turbo, Lamborghini 5C
Country flag
So just to clarify, the PMCC can draw up to 32A from a Single Phase commando socket?
(I spoke to an electrician yesterday who seemed to think that a Single Phase commando socket can only put our 16A but I'm not sure he is right).

And if you have Three Phase what current can it draw? And do you need to buy a Three Phase cable for it?

Thanks,

TSS

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
yes - 32A single phase 7.4kW.

3 phase MY21 spec 22kW.

Type 2 cable should support both.

TSS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countach, Diablo SE30, Taycan Turbo, Lamborghini 5C
Country flag

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
So just to clarify, the PMCC can draw up to 32A from a Single Phase commando socket?
(I spoke to an electrician yesterday who seemed to think that a Single Phase commando socket can only put our 16A but I'm not sure he is right).
Be aware there are two types of Commando connectors - 16A and the bigger 32A. Make sure your electrician knows that!

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have both (commando 32amp at 2nd home & smart charger (Wallbox Pulsar Plus with govt grant support) at my main dwelling.
Can I ask what you think of the Wallbox Pulsar Plus system please? I ordered the Mobile Charger Connect with the car but have since been told to just keep that in the car for on-the-road use and instead use the Wallbox (?).

I also intend to put an energy management module in the house to manage the load.

Thanks in advance.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
For 3 phase you need the £86 Red Commando Plug from parts. You will charge about 11kw with that.

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
Can I ask what you think of the Wallbox Pulsar Plus system please? I ordered the Mobile Charger Connect with the car but have since been told to just keep that in the car for on-the-road use and instead use the Wallbox (?).

I also intend to put an energy management module in the house to manage the load.

Thanks in advance.
My Wallbox use is very straightforward (& a little clumsy as it’s a bit too far from my wireless LAN) but the intelligence on the car governs it so I simply plug it in on the evenings I want it charged and the car looks for power to suit my car logged settings (in my case “85% charge for 7am please”) ... my basic commando power point at my second home is almost as effortless although I’d to screw back the Amp on the Mobile Charger Connect to lessen the tripping back at my distribution board.
the Wallbox Pulsar does take Bluetooth connectivity to control it too but as I say, on the advice of the installer, and because my home + charger are quite private I plug it in to the car, lock the car and my car charge pre logged settings manage the rest for me.
one thing I can add is, I’m really enjoying not having to stop for fuel now my main car is full EV - home charging to give 220-235 miles range is more than adequate for my daily needs (probably 2-3 bouts of limited charging per week is adequate)

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Hi David
I have order in and expect delivery in December.
My dealer suggested Andersen EV over other options and I do like the look - massive range of colours, cable hidden away, lockable.
They will also install a Porsche charger if you prefer.
They seem very happy to talk all variable with you and will do a survey from video/pictures.
https://andersen-ev.com/#
Will post an installation report when done.
J
Sponsored