Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
J1772 defines a rudimentary communication protocol. The EVSE communicates the charging current it is able to supply by modifying the pulse width on a 1 KHz pilot signal. The vehicle communicates back one of 5 states by changing the resistance on this pilot signal. The EVSE can sense that resistance by measuring the voltage drop. Those states include connected/idle (waiting), charging, charging complete, and error.

J1772 does not provide any way for the vehicle to communicate a VIN or even a manufacturer to the EVSE. So anyone who has seen the PMCC report their VIN has some other communication going on.

ISO15118 defines data exchange that rides on top of some of these signals (I don't know the technical details how but it might work very similar to PLC). Theoretically any data could be exchanged. Maybe ISO15118 is just the protocol but PLC is the physical connection...? There is plenty of data to suggest the car supports ISO15118.

IIRC, the PMCC allows you to use PLC between the PMCC and a home PLC network (that would include the PEM but doesn't have to), and use the PMCC as a WiFi hotspot. Maybe the car would recognize the PMCC's WiFi hotspot - but I've never tried this. You can't enable the PMCC's WiFi hotspot while using WiFi to connect the PMC to your home network.
I am in Europe so I guess I will not have that J1772 protocol. ISO yes!

My query is more based on two new pages for the charger after the update. There it seems it can identify VIN and other details in future? See photos. I have not seen these pages in the web interface earlier?

Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 77AD4291-B827-49F4-AE66-D5A51B50D787
Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 3C92D7C8-EFA1-4007-8F1D-84AD7A185EA8

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting. If you knew the correct values to use for PCID, Brand and Model, you could maybe add something here that would allow the vehicle to be detected. Or maybe since there is an Import button this is something Porsche will provide in the future.

Still wonder what detecting the vehicle would enable...

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
Hi guys,

these are the change notes I got when I downloaded the software 2925 from Porsche website for offline update. Hope it clarifies some things. It seems there is a car update also coming by end of March. I really think we will only see some of the changes working only after that second event.

Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 1614727018203

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
nice release notes - but I’m guessing the PMCC is a pretty dumb charger without the Home Energy Manager - which is not a thing in North America - looks like a nice feature set for the markets where PHEM is available.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am in Europe so I guess I will not have that J1772 protocol. ISO yes!
VW and it's brands as well as Mercedes are onto Plug&Charge. The problem was that the original standard was a DIN (German) standard and that is not compatible with the newer more powerful international ISO standard. Everything has to be updated, switched over, tested, etc. This proliferation takes time...

I assume that the update of the PMCC was to catch up with the ISO standard.

I further assume, that we MY20 owners need to wait for the next big car software update, to get this ISO goodies.

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Hi guys,

these are the change notes I got when I downloaded the software 2925 from Porsche website for offline update. Hope it clarifies some things. It seems there is a car update also coming by end of March. I really think we will only see some of the changes working only after that second event.

1614727018203.png
I have the Home Energy Manager but no updated software yet.

mw3033

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Boxster (98)
Country flag
@Dave T

I do not agree with you at all!
I am not sure what you are expecting from the charger, but here are two screenshots of what the charger provides. I can agree that it is not perfect when it comes to costs etc, but the information certainly is available. I have no idea what you are expecting to see but I have more information than I know what to use?
I think there are plenty more issues with the PCM in the car, that are more urgent to address than further details about charging.
7F3F3364-2E42-433B-AD8A-81546A0ABC9F.png
8CD38EE7-929C-4066-874B-268677ECC13C.png

Where is this on the myporsche portal ?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you log in to MyPorsche you should find this under Connect services and there under My home charging or similar.

Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? 90AFE1B3-9895-4E73-A2B1-1D3680794935

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My Porsche - My Services - Charging (if you have enabled this option / subscription.

Only stores PMC+ / PMCC data and not all of your other charging (non-Porsche devices) or public charging.

It's pretty useless and has a timezone mismatch which can't be altered.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Porsche - My Services - Charging (if you have enabled this option / subscription.

Only stores PMC+ / PMCC data and not all of your other charging (non-Porsche devices) or public charging.

It's pretty useless and has a timezone mismatch which can't be altered.
It’s unfortunately in line with Porsche and their SW. It will do type. It gives you both PMCC and also all charging from public chargers when you use the Porsche Charging service to pay for charging. If you use any other payment options or free chargers, there is nothing reported.

It is not the car that reports the charging, it is the charger, PMCC, Ionity, Allego etc.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It’s unfortunately in line with Porsche and their SW. It will do type. It gives you both PMCC and also all charging from public chargers when you use the Porsche Charging service to pay for charging. If you use any other payment options or free chargers, there is nothing reported.

It is not the car that reports the charging, it is the charger, PMCC, Ionity, Allego etc.
I've only ever had home charging captured in these logs. I've used Ionity once and it has never appeared (nor did I get charged). Porsche charging is thin on the ground (my nearest is 100+ miles away) in Scotland so I typically would never use it and rely on other 3rd party charging (Shell, BP, ChargePlace Scotland etc).

Like I say, it's pretty useless in the main and offers me no value whatsoever. I have also tried to use the chargers at the Porsche Dealerships (there are 4 in Scotland) and of the two locations I've tried none have been operational and in general appear to be unreliable which is pretty ironic considering!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've only ever had home charging captured in these logs. I've used Ionity once and it has never appeared (nor did I get charged). Porsche charging is thin on the ground (my nearest is 100+ miles away) in Scotland so I typically would never use it and rely on other 3rd party charging (Shell, BP, ChargePlace Scotland etc).

Like I say, it's pretty useless in the main and offers me no value whatsoever. I have also tried to use the chargers at the Porsche Dealerships (there are 4 in Scotland) and of the two locations I've tried none have been operational and in general appear to be unreliable which is pretty ironic considering!
Amazing if there is such a difference in implementations. I certainly get all the charged ones displayed in my account.

This is from an EnBW charging station. I get all the info , times, duration, kWh, cost and location.

Maybe you get charging for free in the U.K. then

Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? E08A17F0-9731-4095-AD3D-4F1F05141420

But I still agree with you, it is of limited value. Especially since it does not include hotel chargers or other free charging??
Sponsored