First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi.
Had the turbo for about 1 week now and since picking it up I've charged it at home maybe, 4 times (mostly top up charges). Tonight, the car was plugged in to charge up to the 60% minimum level I set. All has been fine until I opened up the connect app to take a look at the charge to ensure it was working and then the whole house power trips. I've also had the same issue when plugging the car into the charger and doing a direct charge.
A simple reset of the mcb within the house puts the power back on.

Clearly, it's the power draw is too large for the distribution unit, we also have an electric aga cooker that draws quite a lot..

Anyone know what options I have? Can I install a bigger distribution unit etc?

Thanks
Roy
Sponsored

terryb

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.2 GT3, Mk4 Megane Trophy-R, C1 Race Car
Country flag
What size is the main fuse for the supply to your distribution board? The one next to the meter... They used to be 60A but maybe 100A for newer homes - you should be able to get it upgraded to 100A anyway and if it needs upgrading then you may well need a new consumer unit distribution board) too

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Replace board with individual breakers (if haven't got them) rather than one per circuit e.g. "downstairs lights" - it will multiply the resistance and reduce trips if not eradicate them. A qualified sparky will of course diagnose it better!

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Go into the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger and reduce the charging current. Since you are charging overnight the charge process ought to complete by morning even at a reduced charging current.

OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Go into the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger and reduce the charging current. Since you are charging overnight the charge process ought to complete by morning even at a reduced charging current.
Unfortunately I don't have the Porsche mobile charger. My unit is a dumb unit, no control.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
@UKTIVO,

either you need a smart charger of some sorts with intelligence to either reduce the load through settings or via the load across your house OR you have to be the intelligence and only charge when the rest of the house has lower loads.

just replace the charger with a Zappi or if you had to purchase the "optional mandatory’ Porsche charger then get that installed would be the easiest solution.

OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@UKTIVO,

either you need a smart charger of some sorts with intelligence to either reduce the load through settings or via the load across your house OR you have to be the intelligence and only charge when the rest of the house has lower loads.

just replace the charger with a Zappi or if you had to purchase the "optional mandatory’ Porsche charger then get that installed would be the easiest solution.
Yep. I agree..
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can reapply under the government scheme to replace the charger unit I already have for a more intelligent one like the zappi unit..
Sponsored