johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
This sounds really dumb, but one of my biggest complaints about my Tesla are the windshield wipers. The auto mode is absolutely awful (it relies on cameras instead of sensors in many other cars), and I end up manually triggering my wiper by pushing the single-wipe button probably 40% of the time. Either that or I just put it on set intervals through the terrible touch screen controls (not auto-detect). Is the Taycan better at sensing rain? Do you find that it doesn’t detect rain often? Do you need to push the manual wipe button down every once in a while?

One thing I noticed when I test drove the car is that in order to do a single manual wipe, you need to shift the wiper stalk all the way down past the off position, then manually move it back up to the setting you were at (instead of a simple button). Does this get annoying or frustrating for anybody?

Obviously doesn’t matter of the wipers just work on auto all the time, but wanted to ask people!
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
There is a tiny lever on the face of the stalk with which you can adjust the sensitivity. Although I haven't had too many chances to test them, the few times I used the wipers in interval mode they were very easy to use effectively.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Better than Tesla, but not perfect either.
In particular, very slow drizzle can accumulate without the wipers kicking in. And at least in my experience fog seemed to impact performance too (not sure how that's related at all, might have been just coincidence).

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
The auto wipers seem really good to me. Definitely better than in my Infiniti Q50. I recently took a 2 hour drive where it was raining the whole time and the it varied from a slight drizzle to heavy downpour and in-between throughout the trip and I never had to touch the stalk.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Based on my experience (in Boston):
- overall pretty good wipers and automatic wiper sensor. I don't have MS experience, but they compare well to an Audi A6.
- the tiny lever on the face of the stalk with which you can adjust the sensitivity is so-so. I find it causes the wipers to wipe when the lever is turned but I don't notice much difference in sensitivity from one level to the other. Maybe a little when there's a light drizzle. I just turn the lever a bit when I need them to activate.
- I agree with the poster who said they tend not to come on with a very light drizzle.
- my only real complaint with them is that the washer doesn't have enough force to hit the main part of the windshield at highway speed. The washer tends to hit low on the windshield at high speed. It still works but isn't optimal. Tends to only be an issue with salt splatter after snow.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
I was always amazed how my Tesla’s wipers came on when it was dry and couldn’t be bothered when it rained…….the Taycan ones actually work when needed, which has its benefits…
Sponsored