Get Passenger Display and HUD for $700?

• Total voters

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The look of the dash is subjective, my main issue with the HUD is the actual functionality. It's nowhere near as good as the HUD available in BMWs. I haven't driven a Benz with the augmented reality stuff, but on paper that looks a lot better than the Porsche HUD as well. That being said, at under $1k for both, I would probably just get both
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Team Taycan - I actually like the "hood" on top of the dash. :)

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Team Taycan - I actually like the "hood" on top of the dash. :)
Agreed, we actually like have both features. I find the HUD is was better then in the BMW X4, that system was very limited and just did not work that well. So when we ordered the Taycan, I wasn't expecting much, very surprised how much the wife and I both like having it.

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I went the same path - $700 to get hud and passenger because I got the package that got me remote park and cc.

I really like the HUD; plus I like the way it changes the dash. Passenger display looks cool; not had a passenger in the car enough yet to get their perspective.

but I would do it again just for hud having now used it.
I liked your comment. I agree. Dare I say, I actually like the look with the HUD. It makes the dash look cleaner.

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display 20220225_115936

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display 20220225_115918

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Both the HUD and PD are inherently redundant since they don't provide anything that isn't already available in the main display or dash.

They aren't however bad in any way; they are what they are and work reasonably well. The HUD while not as advanced as some other AR-like implementations, shows you pretty much all you need while still keeping you eyes on the road.

Same with the passenger display. It looks cool and lets the passenger control things like audio and navigation without having to disturb the driver. It works, but feels more like a gimmick than anything else and it doesn't work with CarPlay.

I would argue that these are some of the least important options available. Only spec them if you can't think of anything else you would rather have within you budget.
Perry -- thanks for this. Does the dash look okay without the HUD "hood" on top of the dash? Thanks

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
Perry -- thanks for this. Does the dash look okay without the HUD "hood" on top of the dash? Thanks
I did drive a loaner without the HUD originally. The extra hood isn't exactly extremely noticeable while driving. You lose a bit of the floating dash aesthetics that you get without the HUD, but like I said, it's very minor.

If you're literally ONLY going by dash appearance alone, then I think no HUD looks slightly better from the driver's perspective.

Here's a photo of how the dash looks like with the HUD installed (the HUD itself isn't visible, though):
Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display IMG_0335

Personally, I think you should mostly just focus on whether you want the HUD itself or not, rather than the dash design.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I did drive a loaner without the HUD originally. The extra hood isn't exactly extremely noticeable while driving. You lose a bit of the floating dash aesthetics that you get without the HUD, but like I said, it's very minor.

If you're literally ONLY going by dash appearance alone, then I think no HUD looks slightly better from the driver's perspective.

Here's a photo of how the dash looks like with the HUD installed (the HUD itself isn't visible, though):
IMG_0335.jpeg

Personally, I think you should mostly just focus on whether you want the HUD itself or not, rather than the dash design.
Thanks Perry. Very helpful and you are right. I should go for whether I want the functionality versus the "look". I do like the floating feeling of the dash without it. That said, one pic I took from the top put me off a bit. See attached. But that said, should be okay without it

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display 20220225_115918

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display 20220225_115925

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Team. Check out pics. These should give folks an idea of what adding HUD does to the dash. IMO , the dash looks much better -- more futuristic --- without the HUD hood.
Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display Screenshot_20220228-152836_Chrome
Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display Screenshot_20220228-152817_Chrome

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

IMG_0335.jpeg

Thank you Perry again for your advice. I am going to forgoe the HUD. I have in my Audi now and I don't use it enough. And given I like the look without it, will stick with the no HUD option. The Passenger Display on the other hand.... ;)

OP
OP

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag

IMG_0335.jpeg

Team here are side views if with and without

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display Screenshot_20220228-152836_Chrome

Porsche Taycan HUD + Passenger Display Screenshot_20220228-152817_Chrome

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Team. Check out pics. These should give folks an idea of what adding HUD does to the dash. IMO , the dash looks much better -- more futuristic --- without the HUD hood.
Screenshot_20220228-152836_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220228-152817_Chrome.jpg
All down to personal taste. I think the dash looks "incomplete" without the HUD and much more integrated with the HUD.