Passenger Display

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
No, I just tapped the screen to wake it up and then selected the Nav icon... I don't think "activity" has anything do with it. Once I turned it on, it just stayed on until the car shut off...

I just took delivery of my car last Friday and I'm told all the software, etc is current.

I'm running out to get a Flu shot and a Shingrix shot in a few minutes. (here's hoping they get along!) I'll do it again to confirm...
Well that's exactly what I did so there must be a difference.
Interesting...
It is on when I switch the car on but when I put it into drive, it shuts off, tapping doesn't turn it on.

Get well!
And don't overdo with the cocaine, that does work against each other, lol!
Sponsored

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
Well that's exactly what I did so there must be a difference.
Interesting...
It is on when I switch the car on but when I put it into drive, it shuts off, tapping doesn't turn it on.

Get well!
And don't overdo with the cocaine, that does work against each other, lol!
Could this be a country-specific behaviour due to local regulations?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I e got it in my car and would spec it again. Passengers love it, especially the cockpit feature. Which shows speed etc.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
OK, just went out to get a Flu and Shingrix shot. Checked the Passenger display functionality without a passenger. Typing this as fast as I can before both arms lock up from the shots...

Got in the car, fired her up, and presto! I didn't even have to tap the screen. The Nav Display came right up on its own - just as I left it yesterday while I was driving around alone:

Porsche Taycan Passenger Display 20200828_134628

Perfect, right? I hit the settings buttons on the pass side display to see if anything there might be applicable to using the screen without a passenger... I was looking around in there yesterday.... Nothing to interesting. Something about proximity sensors - turn them on and then off - doesn't seem to make any difference. ...and another button to turn it off and one to put it back into standby. Turned it off (nope) - turned it back on in the main screen. Put it in Standby - tapped it again and brought it back...

Put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and... THE DISPLAY GOES INTO STANDBY!!!

I mess around with this for several miles to the drugstore, in the drugstore parking lot, back in the drugstore parking lot, on the road, at traffic lights, cut a few folks off, almost get killed...

Now it won't stay on. I don't know how I got it running the other day while I was driving, but it definitely had music in the center and Nav on the pass side. It even restarted that way when I started the car today. I didn't have anything of consequence on the seat. Probably my wallet, sunglass case, and a covid mask. Maybe after dicking around with the settings I might have undid something?

I can still access the screen if the car is in park (by tapping on it), but as soon as the car starts moving it goes into standby mode. I've tried messing around with the settings (both in the main screen and pass screen) but I can't get it to stay on any more while I'm driving...

I'm guessing its NOT supposed to but I'ld sure like to know what I did the other day to get this to work.

:(

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
OK, just went out to get a Flu and Shingrix shot. Checked the Passenger display functionality without a passenger. Typing this as fast as I can before both arms lock up from the shots...

Got in the car, fired her up, and presto! I didn't even have to tap the screen. The Nav Display came right up on its own - just as I left it yesterday while I was driving around alone:

20200828_134628.jpg

Perfect, right? I hit the settings buttons on the pass side display to see if anything there might be applicable to using the screen without a passenger... I was looking around in there yesterday.... Nothing to interesting. Something about proximity sensors - turn them on and then off - doesn't seem to make any difference. ...and another button to turn it off and one to put it back into standby. Turned it off (nope) - turned it back on in the main screen. Put it in Standby - tapped it again and brought it back...

Put the car in reverse to back out of the garage and... THE DISPLAY GOES INTO STANDBY!!!

I mess around with this for several miles to the drugstore, in the drugstore parking lot, back in the drugstore parking lot, on the road, at traffic lights, cut a few folks off, almost get killed...

Now it won't stay on. I don't know how I got it running the other day while I was driving, but it definitely had music in the center and Nav on the pass side. It even restarted that way when I started the car today. I didn't have anything of consequence on the seat. Probably my wallet, sunglass case, and a covid mask. Maybe after dicking around with the settings I might have undid something?

I can still access the screen if the car is in park (by tapping on it), but as soon as the car starts moving it goes into standby mode. I've tried messing around with the settings (both in the main screen and pass screen) but I can't get it to stay on any more while I'm driving...

I'm guessing its NOT supposed to but I'ld sure like to know what I did the other day to get this to work.

:(
I was kinda expecting that.
It would be wierd if, looking at the big difference in safety issues between the US and EU (or Netherlands in particular) that was even possible...
I guess you feel very sorry now you've tested this and can't get it back to work again...
But please, if you do, let us know!
At least we know now it is possible. :)

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
I was kinda expecting that.
It would be wierd if, looking at the big difference in safety issues between the US and EU (or Netherlands in particular) that was even possible...
I guess you feel very sorry now you've tested this and can't get it back to work again...
But please, if you do, let us know!
At least we know now it is possible. :)
Except that I'm pretty sure I didn't actually change the way I had things set up. I messed around with a few of the buttons (to see what they did) cause clearly my experience was different than what others were reporting. Not seeing anything particularly "interesting", I put everything back the way I believe it was before I pulled the car out...

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
The screen is useful for passengers. Looks good in the car... not exactly essential but I would spec it again.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn't have anything of consequence on the seat. Probably my wallet, sunglass case, and a covid mask.
Sort of related, but I was surprised that the seat was more sensitive to thinking someone was on it compared to my previous car. I think I had my phone and laptop and a soda (I was going to a service appointment) - or something like that, and the seat wanted the seatbelt on.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it and would get it again. A key the color of your car costs $600 and the screen is only $1000. Worth it to not feel like your car is missing something and a fun add for your passenger.

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
No regrets. Love it and so do my passengers.

Porsche Taycan Passenger Display 4C8741C8-D170-4568-B48E-A634F723F96A

Porsche Taycan Passenger Display D465DC26-2716-448A-8621-077C3AD6CCA7

Last edited:

PTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, RRS SC, S2000, Integra Type-R
Country flag
I just received my Taycan today. Unfortunately, there is a visible scratch on the passenger display. Dealer said they would fix it, but I'm nervous about possible damage to dash when they change the black panel. Thoughts?

Spirited Young Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
No regrets. Love it and so do my passengers.

4C8741C8-D170-4568-B48E-A634F723F96A.jpeg

D465DC26-2716-448A-8621-077C3AD6CCA7.jpeg
It looks great! Love mine too, although the music option is not displayed on passenger side if using Spotify through CarPlay. Worth subscribing to Apple Music just to have this feature on the passenger screen unless you have a passenger with poor taste in music DJ’ing

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I find it both useful and amusing. When my son goes for longer trips, and we swap driving or being the passenger, it’s very convenient when we can help each other out on the sat nav to find the way on different roads. Also having the possibility for the passenger to choose music as a DJ, is something I like. I believe the dashboard looks more whole and complete with it.

My son and I both agreed this was a must have when we ticked of the options together, before approval from the boss (wife). This must be said: We both like gadgets ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: