Passenger Display

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I just received my Taycan today. Unfortunately, there is a visible scratch on the passenger display. Dealer said they would fix it, but I'm nervous about possible damage to dash when they change the black panel. Thoughts?
Oha, I catch your drift! We also have a Tesla Model-S which seems to pick up a new fault each time on repairs. Even though I have built up a friendship like relationship with the very skilled workshop manager, which does outmost everything to please me and to fix everything, the fit and quality of Tesla parts make it difficult and sometimes impossible to reach 100%. No other Tesla center can make it better, thats for sure.

What I’m trying to say is that, it is a huge difference on the build quality compared to Porsche. Even so I totally understand your concern and worries, having to repair a brand new vehicle. It somehow take off the feel a bit on an untouched car. At my Porsche Center Son in Norway, they are great guys with splendid service. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other customers as well. To me it boils down to feeling and belief.

I would suggest you inquire a little research about which Porsche Center you want to give your trust to fix it. Good luck and hope for the best!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Once something is taken apart from factory new, it never quite goes back the same.

That said, I suspect you will be fine. I had my displays replaced on my BMW X3 three times, and the car came back looking fine.

Laptops, different story! I ended up having 2 new laptops over 6 years because the engineer damaged them more trying to fix them!

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
. .
Now it won't stay on. I don't know how I got it running the other day while I was driving, but it definitely had music in the center and Nav on the pass side.
. . .
So maybe you this time forgot to bring the bag of drug you had in the passenger seat, last time you had the screen up running?:idea:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
So maybe you this time forgot to bring the bag of drug you had in the passenger seat, last time you had the screen up running?:idea:

More like "consumed", rather than "forgot"?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yeah, I'ld order it again. Its a little more convenient for the passenger to access and it really helps them feel like a co-pilot with their "very own" screen.

Besides, if you are already spending this much money on a car, what's a bit more for this feature... ;-)
Feel the co-pilot is a good selling line. ;-)

1. Mostly I drive alone, no use for me
2. If my wife sits there, she is always on her phone including navi
3. I need the space there to fix a phone holder with wireless charging
4. One more electronic component which can break

For me really no use.

Reactions: WES

PTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, RRS SC, S2000, Integra Type-R
Country flag
Oha, I catch your drift! We also have a Tesla Model-S which seems to pick up a new fault each time on repairs. Even though I have built up a friendship like relationship with the very skilled workshop manager, which does outmost everything to please me and to fix everything, the fit and quality of Tesla parts make it difficult and sometimes impossible to reach 100%. No other Tesla center can make it better, thats for sure.

What I’m trying to say is that, it is a huge difference on the build quality compared to Porsche. Even so I totally understand your concern and worries, having to repair a brand new vehicle. It somehow take off the feel a bit on an untouched car. At my Porsche Center Son in Norway, they are great guys with splendid service. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other customers as well. To me it boils down to feeling and belief.

I would suggest you inquire a little research about which Porsche Center you want to give your trust to fix it. Good luck and hope for the best!
Thanks so much for sharing. I’ll ask the department how much is involved in replacing it. I YouTubed some videos on other cars and a little scary what’s involved to take down the dashboard. Maybe better to just “live with” the scratch? Dunno. Sigh.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks so much for sharing. I’ll ask the department how much is involved in replacing it. I YouTubed some videos on other cars and a little scary what’s involved to take down the dashboard. Maybe better to just “live with” the scratch? Dunno. Sigh.
Having a scratch on the passenger display would drive me nuts. I have had the entire dashboard removed on previous Aston Martins. Once to fix a loose screw deep in the dash and another time to replace some defective leather. On a previous Maserati, I had the dash removed to fix an A/C issue. In all three situations, the repairs were completed with absolutely no rattles or problems. If there is a rattle after they work on your Taycan, it is covered under warranty and can be fixed.

PTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Having a scratch on the passenger display would drive me nuts. I have had the entire dashboard removed on previous Aston Martins. Once to fix a loose screw deep in the dash and another time to replace some defective leather. On a previous Maserati, I had the dash removed to fix an A/C issue. In all three situations, the repairs were completed with absolutely no rattles or problems. If there is a rattle after they work on your Taycan, it is covered under warranty and can be fixed.
Thanks wemct for this reassurance and thanks for sharing your experience with dash teardowns / re-installs. Supeer helpful!

DragonRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had a Taycan TTS, now have an Aston DBS, RR SVR, F-Type S, Ford Ranger Wildcat
Country flag
I would be worried about the work required to fix the problem if it means dash out but I just would not be able to live with a scratched display on a new car. IMO you should keep fingers crossed and get it fixed.

It might be more straightforward to replace it than you think.

PTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks DragonRR. I've ask porsche dealer about the steps involved to replace. Hoping it's "simple" vs. a major teardown. :(. Yes, a real drag and cloud given just getting a brand new car.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Thanks DragonRR. I've ask porsche dealer about the steps involved to replace. Hoping it's "simple" vs. a major teardown. :(. Yes, a real drag and cloud given just getting a brand new car.
The other alternative, which is what I did with my BMW is get them to accept responsibility and honour replacement. Then delay the work till the next convenient opportunity, which in my case was after it got more scratched...

JamesS

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I would be interested to know from people who have actually had the passenger display, whether they would prefer it again in a do over.

i got the feeling, without specific corroboration, that it only works if there it a passenger present.

I frequently have a passenger in my car, so it really is for their benefit.

i have had mixed and diametrically opposed views, but nothing substantive.

I have heard from one person who has it and says it’s worth getting. Other than that, a couple or people who were disappointed it didn’t work without a passenger.

Are there any people here who have it and think it’s worth getting?

Thanks in advance.
We have the passenger display and love it, very useful while traveling

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have the passenger display - I’m a tech geek and I knew I’d hate myself if I didn’t get it but my expectations were low…

so far I’d have to say the response is “meh” - it’s neither great nor awful - the real issue for me is it’s nearly useless with Apple Carplay - since Carplay only works on the main display - my wife who is the common passenger considers it barely useful but doesn’t hate it.

so far there is no functionality that make it a must have, I was hoping Porsche had done some really clever things with it - they have not.

with OTA updates possible “in theory” I’m hoping over time more functionality could be added, but I”m not holding my breath.

I get much more enjoyment from the power charge port doors as that’s a useful feature.
update on this: we have a 2021 Cayenne - and a 2022 911 - passenger display was not an option with this vehicles…

wife's determination is that no matter how "useless" this feature is or is-not - it's better than staring at a blank piece of interior trim and it's occasssionally useful for navitation and media…the new Cayenne (2024 or later) has media/video viewing with an off angle filter so that might be an upgrade to the new facelifted Taycan

when it came time to configure our Macan EV wife was as "yes" let's get it - I prefer it to blank trim pieces where it would be…$0.02

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
wife's determination is that no matter how "useless" this feature is or is-not - it's better than staring at a blank piece of interior trim
I really hate this argument because it makes sense and will likely cause me to spend more money in the future.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I really hate this argument because it makes sense and will likely cause me to spend more money in the future.
I'm with you 100% - but it's honestly a choice…
  • stare at a screen that is sometimes useful?
  • stare at a blank piece of plastic/leather/carbon-fibre trim blank panel that will never be useful
wife 100% prefers the "active" blank trim piece as opposed to an inert trim piece - we do like the 2nd screen for navigation on raod trips - route planning via PCM nav and Carplay on the main screen - and weather sometimes on the 2nd screen - video would make it more useful which _IS_ a feature in the New Cayenne so I think it's safe to say all "new" porsches from here on out will match this Cayenne feature set…

Wife is definitive on this - she is 100% on the side of just check the box, cause it's otherwise just a blank piece of plastic - and she's not as easy of a "sell" on options as I am - so trust me when it's approved by my "wfie" theres a reason - LOL

I'll take the passenger display over night vision all day long for example - have the night vision on my Cayenne - all I can say is I'm a check every box type of guy and this box goes unchecked on all my builds!!!
Sponsored