I have the 22kW AC charger installed anyways!

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
kW not kWh - but congrats. I spec’d it too as I have a 4-hour window to charge my car at home.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
And its gone ....

AC charging refuses to work. Light goes red. DC charging is fine.

Back to my Porsche Centre who as always is very helpful.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Must have overcooked it!

What type of AC charger are you using?
I was using a free public 22kW charger at Lidl (cheapskate that I am) when after about an hour it stopped and went red. Hasn't charged on AC since.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, will be interesting if its a fuse or the charger itself. Will report back.

Stretch9

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Audi R8 V10, '19 Mini JCW, '15 MB C300 hybrid
Country flag
Yeah, will be interesting if its a fuse or the charger itself. Will report back.
Hope you get it sorted.

This is my first post; looking at a Taycan RWD as an option to replace the family C class, so hopefully get a test drive at Belfast Porsche when they open back up again.

I was looking through the UK used approved Taycans and have not found a single one with the 22kW onboard AC charger option which I find very odd. I understand that without this option the AC charging rate is limited to 11kW. Any idea why it is not a more popular option? There are still a lot of free AC charge units up North.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any idea why it is not a more popular option?
Mostly because it's a new option on MY21 cars – so you couldn't spec it on the original 2020 Taycan. And its quite a pricey option at around €1600 here in ROI.

My car was the first Irish spec car with the option.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It doesn't make a lot of sense for home charging needs given the cost and that most people can charge overnight to 85% whilst not using the car which is more than adequate for daily use.

50kW DC charging at public locations is fairly common and so no real need for 22kW AC.

The option cost is ridiculous and to have a 3 phase supply at home (which you'll need) cost prohibitive.

Make sure you spec 150kW DC if anything to take full advantage of DC charging options in UK.

Stretch9

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Audi R8 V10, '19 Mini JCW, '15 MB C300 hybrid
Country flag
It doesn't make a lot of sense for home charging needs given the cost and that most people can charge overnight to 85% whilst not using the car which is more than adequate for daily use.

50kW DC charging at public locations is fairly common and so no real need for 22kW AC.

The option cost is ridiculous and to have a 3 phase supply at home (which you'll need) cost prohibitive.

Make sure you spec 150kW DC if anything to take full advantage of DC charging options in UK.
Thanks for that. I live in Northern Ireland which has one of the lowest concentration of charging stations in the UK, according to something I either read online in the last week or in the latest edition of WhatCar that has special EV editorial. There are only a small handful of rapid chargers here so if I do have to charge when I'm out then in all likelihood it will be at one of the 22kW stations of which there are a reasonable number, and for now they are free to use. Having said that Northern Ireland is a small place and a full charge on a Taycan is likely to take you just about anywhere you want to go in N.I and back home the same day. It really comes down to the estimated number of times I'll be charging away from home (but in N.I.) and the value I put on my time. As you say it's not a cheap option, so I'm still sitting on the fence on that one.

Regarding the 150kW DC 400V option, I understood from the Taycan technical specifications (maximum charge rate DC 225kW) and earlier posts on the forum that this is not a requirement in the UK as the super rapid charging stations operate on 960V. The option is only required for super rapid charging on lower 400V charging systems and some online articles imply that there are none of these units in the UK, but possibly some older generation systems in mainland EU.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/150kw-dc-dc-converter-option.1267/

Still early days yet - need to get a drive in one first.

thx
Sponsored