Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long)

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Yeah it's not what he meant, he just wanted it to auto stop at 85%. What I do is I keep an eye on the charge level on the Porsche app, and walk back out to unplug it when it's at the level I want. You don't want it to stop, but leave it plugged in and taking up a spot, where others could be charging.
Agreed. DC chargers are meant to charge fast to desired SoC, then leave so someone else can use it. Whatever you have planned that's going to take longer than 30min can wait until after your car is done charging.

For those of you who don't have access to a level 2 charger at home and primarily rely on DC charging (please send me your VIN so I can add it to the list of used Taycans not to buy), I can only imagine how much time you waste looking/waiting for a spot to open up. An EV wouldn't have been option if I didn't have/couldn't install a charger at home.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
good grief, you like to moan.
Yes, you are right. My post does come across as whiny. I meant it to help not just me but other owners and prospective owners. The great discussion has changed my mind about some of the items. Other of the items have been +1’d.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Agreed. DC chargers are meant to charge fast to desired SoC, then leave so someone else can use it. Whatever you have planned that's going to take longer than 30min can wait until after your car is done charging.

For those of you who don't have access to a level 2 charger at home and primarily rely on DC charging (please send me your VIN so I can add it to the list of used Taycans not to buy), I can only imagine how much time you waste looking/waiting for a spot to open up. An EV wouldn't have been option if I didn't have/couldn't install a charger at home.
I'll send you mine when I get it.

I have 28 chargers in walking range. From L2 to DC 26kw, 50kw, 60kw, 350kw.

Most of them are always available / free.

What's one hour of your life once a week?

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The steering wheel is a very important control but definitely a matter of taste.
When we had Nelson Piquet and Nigel Mansell together at Williams Nelson chose the biggest wheel he could fit in without banging his knuckles on the cockpit sides with a thin rim and Nige had a relatively small wheel with a chunky rim.
No power steering back then and my mate always laughed that only Nigel would actually be able to steer the car with the wheel he liked.

I wanted sport chrono but actually would prefer a thinner rim than I have got and even usually hold it where the wheel has a round section rim rather than the big blob in the "normal" hand location.

Generally I have nothing to complain about with my Taycan apart from its vast size.

Last edited:

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag
Thank you for sharing your impressions!

- I have the steel suspension. It seems I have just the right depression at my driveway entrance to cause the front to touch unless I come at it just right. I got curb ramps until I can get the asphalt added. Sleeping policemen, and all other driveways I've gone over - no problem.
I'm assuming you deploy the lift before entering the driveway?

Do you mind sharing a before/after photo of the curb entrance to your driveway? I have the same problem with my driveway. Even if I deploy the lift, and enter my driveway in reverse and exit going forward *extremely* slowly, it does sometimes hit the bottom. Entering going forward and exiting in reverse I was never able to avoid hitting the bottom.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Generally I have nothing to complain about with my Taycan apart from its vast size.
Not even the vast weight? ;)

I have a feeling you'll respond that you don't track it and so it doesn't matter as much in that regard, right?

I'm taking mine to COTA in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to see what it can do, knowing it's a bit of a porker.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I'll send you mine when I get it.

I have 28 chargers in walking range. From L2 to DC 26kw, 50kw, 60kw, 350kw.

Most of them are always available / free.

What's one hour of your life once a week?
:p Is it really just one hour, though? Definitely not with a L2. Whatever the case, for majority of EV owners it's an inconvenience if you have to solely rely on public charging, free or not free.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
:p Is it really just one hour, though? Definitely not with a L2. Whatever the case, for majority of EV owners it's an inconvenience if you have to solely rely on public charging, free or not free.
It's an hour on 50kw which I personally still consider "safeish" from a pure charge rate to capacity ratio (ruffly around 0.5C assuming 20% SOC and charging up to 85%)

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be able to charge at home but I live in my city's downtown, right on the sea. This means construction can't go too deep to allow underground parking and the real estate pressure is high so every inch is sold at premium. Constructors don't waste space on parking.

I won't move to the suburbs anytime soon so shouldn't I deserve having a Taycan? My weekly routine is around my city so maybe 300-350km a week at most. This means that I can get away with a weekly charge somewhere near my home and be ready for the next week. At least that's what's planned. I have 3 other ice cars so I'll never be stranded

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not even the vast weight? ;)

I have a feeling you'll respond that you don't track it and so it doesn't matter as much in that regard, right?

I'm taking mine to COTA in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to see what it can do, knowing it's a bit of a porker.
I see the weight as a sad inevitability of an EV, though most vehicles have got heavier over the years, there are even IC engined vehicles as heavy.

It is the width I hate most though for the roads around here, I didn’t like the wide bodied 911 either (apart from the styling) so much prefer the 718 to any more recent 911.

Have fun at COTA!

OP
OP
hifi239

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Thank you for sharing your impressions!

I'm assuming you deploy the lift before entering the driveway?

Do you mind sharing a before/after photo of the curb entrance to your driveway? I have the same problem with my driveway. Even if I deploy the lift, and enter my driveway in reverse and exit going forward *extremely* slowly, it does sometimes hit the bottom. Entering going forward and exiting in reverse I was never able to avoid hitting the bottom.
I don’t have air. No lift option. I got these for now: PYLE PCRBDR21 Car Vehicle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVZX9N2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

most_vexing_parse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-tron, Porsche Taycan GTS, Macan Turbo (order)
Country flag

WindsurfUS1111

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD; 2023 Rivian R1S; 2018 Volvo XC90
Country flag
The steering wheel is all about "touch".
It just feels thin/cheap for a 6 figure car.
I loved my MB steering wheel. It was thicker and great material.
Shocked when the Taycan had this skinny little wheel.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
The steering wheel is all about "touch".
It just feels thin/cheap for a 6 figure car.
I loved my MB steering wheel. It was thicker and great material.
Shocked when the Taycan had this skinny little wheel.
I agree. Even the GT Sport wheel isn’t as thick as I’d prefer. It’s certainly not something g that bothers me a lot though.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Impressions/thoughts after buying a used 2022 Taycan RWD in the USA (long) porsche F1 car

These are hardly thick rimmed wheels on the (uncompetitive) Porsche Formula 1 car :)

As a youth it was the laminated wood racing wheels everybody wanted for their car (if they could afford one)

Fashion is a weird thing.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
- Probably upon uneducated dealer recommendation, the car has both the 19KWAC and the 400VDC charger options, which, I now understand are pretty much useless and dead weight. It also has the mobile charger connect - also not needed because I can talk directly to the car about how it should charge from my phone, even when it is connected to a dumb L2 charger.
The 400VDC one is definitely useful if you're going to be using pubic charging stations that don't have 800V capabilities (e.g. Tesla SC if they open up any near you). The 19kW AC one maybe less so, but it does give you the option of faster home charging if you have the power for it. I have it, but my home charger only supports ~10kW so that's all I see. They're not really much extra weight (if any) as they replace the less capable units.

- I was surprised at the cheapness of the base steering wheel w/o the chrono option. Its the primary car-human interface and this is a Porsche not a Subaru. They should not have offered this cheap of a wheel as the default. It is thin and unexciting. I am considering trying to have it upgraded.
I felt that when I first got the car, but I got used it to it quickly and no longer notice. I think I was spoilt by Mercedes steering wheels which seem to be a lot thicker.

- Speaking of media, the car seems to forget what I was listening to and starts each time with a "loading" message, and ends up at some starting point where I have to click a few times to get back to where I was when I parked last night. Why?
Yup, been on them about this since I picked the car up two years ago. The current PCM is a lot less buggy (used to be a total mess), but it still mystifies me that it can't remember what I was listening to, even over a short stop. This is basic functionality for media players.

- The wireless charging dock is just a laughably dumb design. It requires perfect alignment, burns up the phone, and is hidden in an un-air-conditioned cubby. I have forgotten my phone 100% of the time getting out of the car. What I want is to put my phone on a console recess where I can see it, drive, and then grab it and get out. Not fumble trying to clip it in a place I can't even see from the driver's seat and then forget it is there after I close the armrest. I did read that other cars also haven't solved the wireless charging heating problem. But why? Wireless works great at home.
Agreed. Totally useless where it is and does heat the phone a lot. Rarely use it. There is, however, a signal booster option in some cars at least, and that might be why it is in such an awkward place.

- When are high-end cars going to come with factory power taps at the mirror? I always drive with a dashcam and a detector. I'm afraid of going in there with the trim tools, but I will have to.
Yup! Was looking at one last week though that was custom designed for the Taycan, and looked as though it replaced some of the plastic under the mirror with the camera unit. Plugged into an existing connection under there too. Only downside was it didn't operate when the car was parked/off because the power they tapped was off. Still put me off self-install when I saw how much was going to need to be dismantled. A simple USB C up there, always on, would make so much sense!

- There is no way to automatically stop DC charging at a particular SOC. So you have to keep an eye on it if you don't want to go over 85%.
The minimum thing will get you to whatever level you pick as soon it starts, then I don't understand the next part. If I leave it overnight, it will go to 100%, but in seemingly small jumps. I wish I could tell it to just stop at 85%.

- It had fat 21" wheels, which I now see are really a cosmetic option, at least for the RWD. They look cool, but have shorter range, the tires wear out faster, the tires are more expensive to replace, and the wheels are easier to damage. They feel weird turning at low speeds. I downgraded to the 19's and stored the 21s, although it seems I'm the only one who likes the 19" aeros.
Mine has 21" Mission E wheels, and they are totally an aesthetic option, but they also do not appear to be impacting the range that much (at least on the 4S). The tires are expensive though! Had a nail in one early on, luckily covered by the tire & wheel protection that came with the lease - otherwise, that was $500 for one.
Sponsored