Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I activated the “In-car Wi-Fi Hotspot powered by Verizon” via the My Porsche account on the website. When in the car I look at the wifi network on my iPhone I noticed two Taycan wifi networks, one a “regular” and the other a 5Ghz network. The iPhone defaults to the 5Ghz network and when I attempt to select the plain vanilla wifi network it says I am unable to join. Anyone know what gives or if the 5Ghz network is faster/more reliable?
Sponsored

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I activated the “In-car Wi-Fi Hotspot powered by Verizon” via the My Porsche account on the website. When in the car I look at the wifi network on my iPhone I noticed two Taycan wifi networks, one a “regular” and the other a 5Ghz network. The iPhone defaults to the 5Ghz network and when I attempt to select the plain vanilla wifi network it says I am unable to join. Anyone know what gives or if the 5Ghz network is faster/more reliable?
I’m having the same issue.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m having the same issue.
And here's an interesting twist: I went into settings on the PCM and noticed under Bluetooth settings Taycan_4579 as a Bluetooth source. Just for yucks I edited the name to Taycan BT and saved. I then went to wifi on the Taycan and saw that the wifi name also changed to Taycan BT! Now I'm completely flummoxed. Anyone? Bueller?

Jmrdmd

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
And here's an interesting twist: I went into settings on the PCM and noticed under Bluetooth settings Taycan_4579 as a Bluetooth source. Just for yucks I edited the name to Taycan BT and saved. I then went to wifi on the Taycan and saw that the wifi name also changed to Taycan BT! Now I'm completely flummoxed. Anyone? Bueller?
I edited the password not I can’t connect to either network!

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
And here's an interesting twist: I went into setting on the PCM and noticed under Bluetooth settings Taycan_4579 as a Bluetooth source. Just for yucks I edited the name to Taycan BT and saved. I then went to wifi on the Taycan and saw that the wifi name also changed to Taycan BT! Now I'm completely flummoxed. Anyone? Bueller?
I don’t have the data package and I also have that. The four digits should be the last four digits of the VIN. I think this combo is how CarPlay works - it uses Bluetooth to establish the connection and then leverages WiFi for the actual data transfer. I also think this is the connection for the calendar function. The data package is simply for wifi hotspot in the car. The 5Ghz one should be good for this connection.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is the same for most home WiFi routers which offer legacy 2.4Ghz and current 5Ghz networks to connect to to support legacy devices which can't connect at the higher speed

If the device you want to connect supports 5Ghz then always use that. It will support faster transfer speeds between device and hotspot. It is also better over longer distances - so you could be sat outside the car - picnic table - and surf with your non-cell enabled device.

Out of interest do you have a specific requirement for the in car data package?

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Adrian for answering my question, though I'm still confused as to why when I edited the Bluetooth name, the wifi name changed as well.

I bought Porsche’s Verizon data package because I thought it would help for more consistent and reliable connectivity. Here in California, the cell coverage is very spotty despite what the various company’s coverage maps state and I figured that having a different company’s data plan (my iPhone is on ATT) it would help with connectivity while driving about.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
[QUOTE
Thanks, Adrian for answering my question, though I'm still confused as to why when I edited the Bluetooth name, the wifi name changed as well.

I bought Porsche’s Verizon data package because I thought it would help for more consistent and reliable connectivity. Here in California, the cell coverage is very spotty despite what the various company’s coverage maps state and I figured that having a different company’s data plan (my iPhone is on ATT) it would help with connectivity while driving about.

[/QUOTE]
The network name and Bluetooth name are one and the same or can be). Your PCM has antennas for both (same as a laptop, pc, tablet etc) and so broadcasts the same name for both types of connection - no need to fiddle with this.

The in car package is only for non car devices which don't have their own cell connection but can connect to a WiFi hotspot.

Your car has a separate and dedicated LTE connection which you can't alter and is used for all connectivity associated with the car except the hotspot. So in car Apple Music, remote access via Porsche Connect App, My Porsche and OTA updates will use the LTE connection and not anything extra.

If you want to provide a hotspot service for non cell connected devices then use the hotspot on your phone instead (no additional cost).

For the most part there is generally no need to pay for a dedicated car data package.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

The network name and Bluetooth name are one and the same or can be). Your PCM has antennas for both (same as a laptop, pc, tablet etc) and so broadcasts the same name for both types of connection - no need to fiddle with this.

The in car package is only for non car devices which don't have their own cell connection but can connect to a WiFi hotspot.

Your car has a separate and dedicated LTE connection which you can't alter and is used for all connectivity associated with the car except the hotspot. So in car Apple Music, remote access via Porsche Connect App, My Porsche and OTA updates will use the LTE connection and not anything extra.

If you want to provide a hotspot service for non cell connected devices then use the hotspot on your phone instead (no additional cost).

For the most part there is generally no need to pay for a dedicated car data package.
[/QUOTE]

That's super helpful! I owe you lunch! Thanks.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]
The data package is only for a hotspot. Also, I think the editing of the BT name and it changing is related to the point I mentioned about BT establishing the connection and then connecting on wifi. It makes sense in that context.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Bueller!! Recently celebrated the anniversary of that film. ?

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So now that I understand the Wifi hotspot is entirely superfluous and a complete waste of money, how do I cancel my subscription? The web site, Porsche My Page and Connected Services don't show a cancel and I'll be damned if i can find a way via the PCM. Please don't tell me I have to call the nearly useless Porsche Support number.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So now that I understand the Wifi hotspot is entirely superfluous and a complete waste of money, how do I cancel my subscription? The web site, Porsche My Page and Connected Services don't show a cancel and I'll be damned if i can find a way via the PCM. Please don't tell me I have to call the nearly useless Porsche Support number.
The service / service provision is with Verizon and not Porsche. Suggest contacting them.

OP
OP
Torv

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The service / service provision is with Verizon and not Porsche. Suggest contacting them.
Actually, the service is offered by Verizon, but sold and administered by Porsche. And boy, is it difficult and convoluted to cancel the in-car hotspot. I tried searching on my iPad, but the mobile website is different, so I went to my Mac, and here are the steps I had to take to locate and cancel the service:

After logging in and poking around My Porsche website, I miraculously saw the Porsche Connect Store at the very bottom of the page and clicked; I then clicked on My Products at the top of the page that loaded, found the in-car Hotspot option, and clicked cancel.

Could Porsche have hidden this better? Jimmy Hoffa wasn't buried this deeply!
Sponsored