Help! My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over…

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Try turning on "Wi-Fi Assist" on your iPhone; it is at the very bottom of a long list of toggles under:

Settings => Cellular

While I still think there may have been an issue with the way the CarPlay was set up, this should allow your phone to work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Copy on the hard wire. Here’s two pics of my home screen on the IPhone. First one with the 5G indicator top right when everything is working fine, and picture two with the Wi-Fi symbol in place of the 5g symbol, where everything on CarPlay and the internet functions of my IPhone lock up. The third photo is from settings showing my Wi-Fi connection is with the Taycan. I really appreciate you responding, looking forward to getting this resolved.
Porsche Taycan Help!  My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over… IMG_0989
Porsche Taycan Help!  My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over… IMG_0991
Porsche Taycan Help!  My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over… IMG_0994

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@Fsudoles If it was me, I would try forgetting the taycan network and unlinking the carplay, then re-linking it again? Make sure Taycan's hotspot/internet sharing is not enabled before re-linking CarPlay too. If at any point the phone asks you if you want to continue to use cellular data while connected to Taycan, say yes.

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
@Fsudoles If it was me, I would try forgetting the taycan network and unlinking the carplay, then re-linking it again? Make sure Taycan's hotspot/internet sharing is not enabled before re-linking CarPlay too. If at any point the phone asks you if you want to continue to use cellular data while connected to Taycan, say yes.
Thank you, I’ll give it a go!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Push the little “I” button next to each of those Taycan networks (2 of them) and turn off Auto-join (as @whitex suggested earlier). Definitely use wired CarPlay instead.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Good afternoon. Once again, the Taycan WiFi has taken control and is the primary signal on my IPhone, knocking me off my ATT 5G, thus rendering CarPlay and my phone’s internet access inoperable.
Sorry, of course I believe your account of your symptoms, but I don't understand how the phone using the Taycan WiFi would make CarPlay inoperable. As far as I know, CarPlay works over WiFi, how else would the phone send the CarPlay "video" to the car? (Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth.) I do understand why your phone's Internet access would suffer in that situation, if your car's LTE is bad.

Anyway, if you don't want your phone to join the Taycan's WiFi and use its LTE connection through that, can't you just forget the Taycan WiFi in your iPhone's setting?

Also, maybe go to http://test-ipv6.com with your phone when the problem occurs, and the "Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) seems to be..." line should be confirming what connection your phone is using (as the Taycan will likely be Verizon, while your phone is AT&T).

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
As @KensingtonPark said check on your phone that WiFi Assist is on.... Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist. It should be on by default but worth checking. This allows the phone to use cellular data when their is no Internet connection available over WiFi

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
As @KensingtonPark said check on your phone that WiFi Assist is on.... Go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist. It should be on by default but worth checking. This allows the phone to use cellular data when their is no Internet connection available over WiFi
Thank you…it’s toggled on.

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Sorry, of course I believe your account of your symptoms, but I don't understand how the phone using the Taycan WiFi would make CarPlay inoperable. As far as I know, CarPlay works over WiFi, how else would the phone send the CarPlay "video" to the car? (Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth.) I do understand why your phone's Internet access would suffer in that situation, if your car's LTE is bad.

Anyway, if you don't want your phone to join the Taycan's WiFi and use its LTE connection through that, can't you just forget the Taycan WiFi in your iPhone's setting?

Also, maybe go to http://test-ipv6.com with your phone when the problem occurs, and the "Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) seems to be..." line should be confirming what connection your phone is using (as the Taycan will likely be Verizon, while your phone is AT&T).
Thanks…I ran the test with Wi-Fi off…ATT is recognized. As far as the CarPlay screens, CarPlay is visible because when I start the car, I am able to connect to CarPlay because I’m still on the 5G, and the music, etc plays as it has for over a year. However, a few minutes later, Wi-Fi takes over and the screens lock up due to “poor connection” with the CarPlay interface still visible since I’m knocked off 5G. It doesn’t function, but it’s still visible. Here’s a few sample shots..

Porsche Taycan Help!  My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over… 1E4B33DE-BB4D-4E0B-B3CB-C71255CC1BDB
Porsche Taycan Help!  My Taycan Wi-Fi has decided to take over… 6BC0388F-9A03-40B8-8770-63FAFE194E8F

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I had this issue with my BMW X5 and Android phone. From memory I solved it by deleting the phone from the car and deleting the car from the phone and then set up the phone again.

You could also
try restarting Apple CarPlay.
  • Go to the settings,
  • Then click on General
  • Click on Carplay.
  • From the list, select your car.
  • Tap on Forget This Car and set up CarPlay again

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had this issue with my BMW X5 and Android phone. From memory I solved it by deleting the phone from the car and deleting the car from the phone and then set up the phone again.

You could also
try restarting Apple CarPlay.
  • Go to the settings,
  • Then click on General
  • Click on Carplay.
  • From the list, select your car.
  • Tap on Forget This Car and set up CarPlay again
I’ll give it a go manana, much thanks

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
I’ll give it a go manana, much thanks
Delete every trace of your car on the phone.... delete Bluetooth and WiFi connections so it has to set up from scratch. Pair the phone and let the phone make all the connections i.e. don't make the WiFi connection yourself, Car Play should do that automatically

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Delete every trace of your car on the phone.... delete Bluetooth and WiFi connections so it has to set up from scratch. Pair the phone and let the phone make all the connections i.e. don't make the WiFi connection yourself, Car Play should do that automatically
I’ll give it a shot momentarily, thank you.

OP
OP
Fsudoles

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Update….after some additional research, I have once again told my phone to forget the Taycan WI-FI and everything is working perfectly, connecting right up upon getting in, CarPlay working as it should and the MyPorsche App working perfectly, updating/tracking state of charge, lock status, etc. and my IPhone has all of its functions again. Oh well…hope this is the last time/update on this matter.
Sponsored