OP
OP

gryphon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 CRV, 2020 Highlander, 2023 Taycan 4s incoming
Country flag
Imagine you're travelling deep into the country side. No phone coverage, no chargers, only cows and horses. Your Taycan is displaying 3%, you're going to be stranded. Luckily you see a small farm near a hill. You turn there, your Taycan is flashing 0%... You stop, tap on the door. A very friendly (maybe too friendly) farmer opens his door. You explain your situation. He tells you there's no land-line around here, no cell coverage, no public electricity. He does have a diesel generator. You hook up your dusty PMC+ that you never installed and are carrying in your trunk for years, to the generator. You know you're going to spend at least a day charging minimally to get back to civilisation. The farmer invites you for dinner and a night over.
Maybe you get lucky and there's a hot daughter (or son if that's your thing) involved. The possibilities are endless.

Definitely keep the PMC+ for that eventuality.

😉
Hmmm... I grew up watching horror movies. This sounds like a great setup to Get Out Part 2 🤣
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
How much are you assuming a single AWG6 THHN wire costs?
when installed my son's NEMA 6-50 outlet in Aug. of 2022 the difference in price for copper wire for 25 ft segment between 3 wire and 4 wire was $125 less for the 3 wire segment…for a 25 ft segment.

copper wire these days is super super expensive - the omission of the 4th wire (as it's unused and unnecessary for an EVSE mobile or otherwise) is based on materials cost a potentially significant savings.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
quick check w/home depot website

6/2 (3 wire) cooper is $4.82/ft vs. $7.35/ft for 6/3 copper

25ft @ 4.82/ft = $120.50
25ft @ 7.35/ft = $183.75

$63 savings on 3 wire (hot hot ground) vs. 4 wire (hot hot neutral ground) - and the neutral is un-necessary and unused for an EVSE - but required by code for a NEMA 14-50 outlet (but not a NEMA 6-50 outlet which is an option also).

if the wire pull is longer the savings could be even more significant.

Porsche Taycan Is the PMC+ weatherproof? IMG_1704

Porsche Taycan Is the PMC+ weatherproof? IMG_1703

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the hubble socket on amazon is $88
the savings on 25ft wire is $63 (assuming 25ft will do the job - saving will multiply with length)
the savings on a 14-50 outdoor box is $40 (not sure any of these boxes would handle the hubble socket - so an actual solution might be more).

$188 savings for a hardwired install vs. NEMA 14-50 (minimum)

the WallBox 48 amp EVSE is $699 retail - so $200/$699 = ~30% discount on the Wall box from the materials savings - more if the wire run is longer than 25ft.

50% of the cost of the $550 Tesla Wall Charger J-1772…which is also an 60/48 amp EVSE.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
quick check w/home depot website

6/2 (3 wire) cooper is $4.82/ft vs. $7.35/ft for 6/3 copper

25ft @ 4.82/ft = $120.50
25ft @ 7.35/ft = $183.75

$63 savings on 3 wire (hot hot ground) vs. 4 wire (hot hot neutral ground) - and the neutral is un-necessary and unused for an EVSE - but required by code for a NEMA 14-50 outlet (but not a NEMA 6-50 outlet which is an option also).

if the wire pull is longer the savings could be even more significant.

IMG_1704.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg
They sure charge a premium for Romex wire. Standard AWG6 THHN is under $1 per foot, quick search on Amazon yielded this:
Porsche Taycan Is the PMC+ weatherproof? 1684725757669

when installed my son's NEMA 6-50 outlet in Aug. of 2022 the difference in price for copper wire for 25 ft segment between 3 wire and 4 wire was $125 less for the 3 wire segment…for a 25 ft segment.
:surprised: $125 difference for 25ft (so $5/ft for one extra AWG6 conductor) sounds really steep! How much was the 3 wire 25tf? Was the 3 wire on some serious clearance sale v.s the the 4 wire, or were both those wires sold by Porsche, or Monster Cable? ;)

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have 2 of these (kept the original mobile charger+ when I changed cars and also have the current universal mobile charger). One is fixed to a wall at my house on a 13A socket that my wife uses to charge her hybrid - it has been outside since January. The newer universal one lives in my car and I sometimes plug in at work for free electricity if there is a socket available. Both work fine with no issues. I don't think they are a substitute for a "proper" 7kW EVSE (I have one of these at home as well), but both of mine work fine - I don't know what all of the fuss is about (cue barrage of abuse here I suspect).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have 2 of these (kept the original mobile charger+ when I changed cars and also have the current universal mobile charger). One is fixed to a wall at my house on a 13A socket that my wife uses to charge her hybrid - it has been outside since January. The newer universal one lives in my car and I sometimes plug in at work for free electricity if there is a socket available. Both work fine with no issues. I don't think they are a substitute for a "proper" 7kW EVSE (I have one of these at home as well), but both of mine work fine - I don't know what all of the fuss is about (cue barrage of abuse here I suspect).
North American units are different than UK/Euro units - we have more problems - the Euro one's are far better and have fewer issues…OP is a US/North American customer so euro experience is not as relevant

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Now hanging my head in shame... just after my last post my wife came in to ask why her car had stopped charging and the charger had lots of red lights on it. Didn't rectify by unplugging but sorted by pressing the multi-function button. Maybe not so long for this world after all!
Sponsored