Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Indeed - rather frustrating, but again I may be jumping the gun and possibly still need to do more long trips to 'train' the system more.
upon returning from my last long trip, driving @80+ MPH my estimated range went down significantly and it took many weeks for it to return to somewhat normal
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
upon returning from my last long trip, driving @80+ MPH my estimated range went down significantly and it took many weeks for it to return to somewhat normal
Speed huge factor indeed but my longest periods at over 70 are probably between 10-20 miles at a time and I would have thought that would have been balanced against the much greater amount of low speed city driving but possibly not.

Again I'm entirely OK with that if so but want to be more informed as to exactly how these variables impact predicted vs consumptive range - so if the predicted ranges are been driven (lousy pun) by driving style, if you then drive conservatively for an entire trip will your consumptive range actually be far greater than the predicted which relies heavily on driving history vs true range based on current driving dynamics?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed - rather frustrating, but again I may be jumping the gun and possibly still need to do more long trips to 'train' the system more.
To be clear, I also have never yet used Range mode!!

Quick recce at car this AM and at 72% SoC it has the following predicted ranges (note, just for info, I set my suspension on lowest setting in Normal):

Normal + Climate OFF = 175 miles - calculated 100% SoC range = 243 miles

Normal + ECO climate = 169 miles - calculated 100% SoC range = 235 miles

Normal + ECO + A/C climate = 167 miles - calculated 100% SoC range = 232 miles

Normal + A/C climate = 165 miles - calculated 100% SoC range = 230 miles

Range + Climate OFF = 180 miles - calculated 100% SoC range = 250 miles

So these are not terrible and def in line with Porsche's latest estimates for the 4S at 240 but again in respect typical driving that is not excessive imo in regards speed, climate, AC etc., the actual consumptive ranges I seem to be getting are up to 15-20% less.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'd reiterate what I have said before in this thread. Focus more on consumption (kWh/100mi, mi/kWh) and less on indicated range. You can always back into the range via the actual consumption.

My consumption/range has dropped off drastically in the winter in the NE.

My total lifetime is still 29.9 kWh/100mi, but recent trips with a cold battery have shown 50+ kWh/100mi. Battery temp has a huge effect on consumption.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd reiterate what I have said before in this thread. Focus more on consumption (kWh/100mi, mi/kWh) and less on indicated range. You can always back into the range via the actual consumption.

My consumption/range has dropped off drastically in the winter in the NE.

My total lifetime is still 29.9 kWh/100mi, but recent trips with a cold battery have shown 50+ kWh/100mi. Battery temp has a huge effect on consumption.
Yes the point is we are already discussing consumption vs predicted - the issue for me is that my car's predicted ranges are apparently anywhere from 20 to over 50 miles less than other cars with similar setups and driving styles ... or so it seems - we need more rigorous tracking of this to get a sense of how much consumptive ranges vary with driving styles & parameters set in the car.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Yes the point is we are already discussing consumption vs predicted - the issue for me is that my car's predicted ranges are apparently anywhere from 20 to over 50 miles less than other cars with similar setups and driving styles ... or so it seems - we need more rigorous tracking of this to get a sense of how much consumptive ranges vary with driving styles & parameters set in the car.
My 4S+ happens to be at 72% right now haha. Normal + AC.

Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 3C415177-0513-46BB-BCE8-FFEEA9F94102

My indicated range was lower for the first thousand or two miles and continued to creep up, I suspect you'll see the same. Definitely lower now in the cold weather, I saw over 300 multiple times in the summer in range mode at 100%.
Sponsored