Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
the accuracy of SOC predicted at the end of journey is right on the money assuming you keep to the speed limits etc.
From the post of the trip from Denver to Salt Lake City shows, the 'guess-o-meter' is pretty close. The poster showed a screen estimating 39% charge left of the first leg, but after 159 miles the actual was 47%.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...f-colorado-much-better-than-anticipated.1763/

Porsche under sells but over delivers. Which is fine by me. I'm used to my Tesla over selling and under delivering.
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This is an excellent point and it likely explains the low values I quoted at the beginning of the thread. I mostly drive 3-5 miles a day, and most of the times go for about 2 weeks without charging. That being said, I struggle to understand the logic; why would frequent stopping and starting the motor drain the battery. I’ll look it up and probably target a long trip on one go to see if I get a materially different range. Thanks!
I think it because it also uses energy to heat or cool the interior of your car. If you do 10 short trips on one battery charge it has to condition the cabin 10 times. If you only do one long trip it only needs to condition one time and keep it at that temperature.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
Yes, definitely exceeds official AND EPA range by far.
Even in cold weather conditions.

JamesS

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Hi, I have a Taycan 4S with the performance battery plus (93.4kwh) and 21” wheels. I noticed that all vloggers and car reviewers claim that the Taycan 4S is doing >270miles compared to 220 miles reported by EPA. I’ve had the car for 14 months now and I seem to average at about 200-210 miles on a full battery. 60-70% of my driving is in the city at generally lower speed. Interested to hear what kind of range you’re observing in the day to day usage of your Taycans. Thanks
Have a 2021 Taycan 4 CT with 20" wheels, made 2 trips from Key Largo to Melbourne Beach, Florida, 228 miles, one trip used 77 percent of battery, the other 80 per cent of battery, both non stop, at highway speeds

Reactions: Joe

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
It bothers me that many insist on range as a measure of efficiency for BEVs. We don't measure ICE cars efficiency in range, we use MPG. KWH/100mi, MPGe, KWH/mi, etc are measures of efficiency.

The fuel economy portion of my Taycan's window sticker is below.

1637070820908.png

Over 6500 miles, my actual average consumption is 29.8 kWh/100mi, or 113 MPGe. Far exceeding the 49 kWh/100mi and 69 MPGe on the sicker.
That's very good. Looking at my ipace for the Year (lockdowns and only recently customers opening up for face to face) then for about 5k miles my average is 41.2kWh/100 miles. This month is getting cooler (it was 2C/35F for most of my journey yesterday) and my last 750 miles was up to 44.5kWh/100 miles with the first leg being over 50 giving me a winter range of about 160 and a summer of about 200 when driven comparably. I'd note the majority of my journeys are motorway, at averages of 65-70mph with some decent elevation changes. I normally drive the car to enjoy and range saving tends to be forced (traffic/average speed checks).

Finally got a date for my Turbo on 20" like my ipace for end March. Will be fascinating to compare comparable journeys. The Taycan should be better of course being lower slung and more aerodynamic. I suspect at the motorway average speeds I drive that will play to its advantage.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 1641635213825

Depends on driving style, location, climate. It never gets really cold here. The numbers in mi are driven+range left at low SoC.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Depends on driving style, location, climate. I never gets really cold here. The numbers in mi are driven+range left at los SoC.
wow I envy your consumption figures. I have never seen anything like it here. Not even during the summer months when it can be around 30 C. I do not think I have seen anything below 20 kWh/ 100 km? And the average speed figures have been about the same.

what is your average temperature. It must ne quite warm all year around.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Hi, I have a Taycan 4S with the performance battery plus (93.4kwh) and 21” wheels. I noticed that all vloggers and car reviewers claim that the Taycan 4S is doing >270miles compared to 220 miles reported by EPA. I’ve had the car for 14 months now and I seem to average at about 200-210 miles on a full battery. 60-70% of my driving is in the city at generally lower speed. Interested to hear what kind of range you’re observing in the day to day usage of your Taycans. Thanks
Fellow Houstonian with not dissimilar driving histories (although I tend to be in the 70-80+ mph range on longer highway trips and with AC), 21" wheels w/summer perf tires and with less than 500 miles on the car I seem to be getting rel. consistent 245-250 mi estimated range however real world consumption closer to 0.4 kWh/mi it seems (as to PanameraFrank 's point) - hoping that might improve once the car is 'bedded in'. Of course with a presumably heavier CT. Consumption of 0.4 kWh/mi is closer to a 210 actual range (usable battery 83.7 kWh /400 = 209.25)

By chance do you recall what Wh/mi you had starting out i.e. has it improved over the year?

Last edited:

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I think it because it also uses energy to heat or cool the interior of your car. If you do 10 short trips on one battery charge it has to condition the cabin 10 times. If you only do one long trip it only needs to condition one time and keep it at that temperature.
That is not the biggest problem - although it may contribute. The problem is that the main battery is cold and has significantly lower efficiency (both for discharging and recharging). Just think how quickly your car gets warm - mine never takes longer than 5-10 minutes. On the other hand, battery temp in cold weather can take a very long time to warm up.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
wow I envy your consumption figures. I have never seen anything like it here. Not even during the summer months when it can be around 30 C. I do not think I have seen anything below 20 kWh/ 100 km? And the average speed figures have been about the same.

what is your average temperature. It must ne quite warm all year around.
I really got used to the driving style of using the pedal as little as possible. I sometimes really hit it, but the acceleration is so enormous it lasts never more than 2 sec. I try to avoid breaking before turns, enjoying the Porsche handling. I now find it hard for my driving needs to get the consumption above 20 kWh/100km.

Average temp here is between 17°C and 30°C.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I really got used to the driving style of using the pedal as little as possible. I sometimes really hit it, but the acceleration is so enormous it lasts never more than 2 sec. I try to avoid breaking before turns, enjoying the Porsche handling. I now find it hard for my driving needs to get the consumption above 20 kWh/100km.

Average temp here is between 17°C and 30°C.
I find the coasting in the Taycan really awesome. No going back to one pedal driving....

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
1641635213825.png

Depends on driving style, location, climate. It never gets really cold here. The numbers in mi are driven+range left at low SoC.
How did you produce this table? Was it via an app or manually?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 6nov2021

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is the range someone’s car is getting with speeds often around (1111000) 21” wheels.
Porsche Taycan Is the Taycan really exceeding EPA rating? 1642095163682

Last edited: