McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
After a very angry mail I was contacted today. The door handles have been redesigned for a know defect and are available since last week (model 2024 ?). My replacements were still the old ones because ordered a couple of months ago. They ordered the new ones and they will change all four of them. At the same time they will look at the source of the humming and fix the head light. New guy at te service desk and much better contact now.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
After a very angry mail I was contacted today. The door handles have been redesigned for a know defect and are available since last week (model 2024 ?). My replacements were still the old ones because ordered a couple of months ago. They ordered the new ones and they will change all four of them. At the same time they will look at the source of the humming and fix the head light. New guy at te service desk and much better contact now.
LOL, this reminds me of my early-years-Tesla experiences. I had a mirror assembly changed out 3 or 4 times in the first 2 months of ownership because the mirror would occasionally just flop around while driving. The last change was to a redesigned, stronger torque motor version, which solved the problem for good. My car was one of the first batches with the new mirror assembly, and Tesla's strategy is to test on customers. Perhaps Porsche has decided to follow that strategy too. They might have missed one key factor though, Tesla's OTA update ability which allowed Tesla to fix majority of issues via rapid software updates, sometimes very cleaver ones like moving windows down a smidge and back up periodically when the weather is freezing to prevent them from freezing, or keeping the chargeport from freezing by running HVAC periodically in a way to create positive pressure in the car such that some of the warm cabin air would escape through the charge port, defrosting it (later they added a heater to the port, but for older M3's it was just the software workaround).

Porsche might have been able to solve this problem via a software workaround - for example simple masking out all touch signals from the handle while locking the car and a maybe few seconds after that, unless the user touches the handle multiple times (which would usually happen if the user changed their mind while locking). I suspect the effort involved in rollout out the OTA update was just too great for Porsche.

I first experienced the instant unlock in a middle of a snowstorm - I was rather annoyed as it took me a few minutes (many many tries) to lock the car, even with the fob it would just unlock itself. In the summer now I mostly have the inability to unlock (sometime the car locks again instead when I touch the handles), but have seen the auto unlock maybe once in the last 2 months.

All that said, I expected better from Porsche. I didn't realize I would have to go through a new car company teething problems with them, especially on non-EV-drivetrain related things. This was a big reason I chose Porsche over yet another new car company.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
LOL, this reminds me of my early-years-Tesla experiences. I had a mirror assembly changed out 3 or 4 times in the first 2 months of ownership because the mirror would occasionally just flop around while driving. The last change was to a redesigned, stronger torque motor version, which solved the problem for good. My car was one of the first batches with the new mirror assembly, and Tesla's strategy is to test on customers. Perhaps Porsche has decided to follow that strategy too. They might have missed one key factor though, Tesla's OTA update ability which allowed Tesla to fix majority of issues via rapid software updates, sometimes very cleaver ones like moving windows down a smidge and back up periodically when the weather is freezing to prevent them from freezing, or keeping the chargeport from freezing by running HVAC periodically in a way to create positive pressure in the car such that some of the warm cabin air would escape through the charge port, defrosting it (later they added a heater to the port, but for older M3's it was just the software workaround).

Porsche might have been able to solve this problem via a software workaround - for example simple masking out all touch signals from the handle while locking the car and a maybe few seconds after that, unless the user touches the handle multiple times (which would usually happen if the user changed their mind while locking). I suspect the effort involved in rollout out the OTA update was just too great for Porsche.

I first experienced the instant unlock in a middle of a snowstorm - I was rather annoyed as it took me a few minutes (many many tries) to lock the car, even with the fob it would just unlock itself. In the summer now I mostly have the inability to unlock (sometime the car locks again instead when I touch the handles), but have seen the auto unlock maybe once in the last 2 months.

All that said, I expected better from Porsche. I didn't realize I would have to go through a new car company teething problems with them, especially on non-EV-drivetrain related things. This was a big reason I chose Porsche over yet another new car company.
I think my problem is similar. Will keep you posted if it is fixed.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Update. Door handels finally painted. Picked up the car today. They also fixed the headlight that was a bit loose.

Went to the parking lot, picked up my car. Tested the head light, still same movement. Locked the door to go in again and report the lamp is not fixed. Same problem with the door handle as before.

Spoke to the technician. Said the head lamp unit had no bolts but just slides in and clicks in position. They couldn’t figure out what I was feeling. Read something different on this forum before. Just looked at youtube and surprise surprise 2 bolts to fix the unit to the chassis.

His answer to the comfort closure problem still happening: yeah well some Taycans do that. Strange an

third time my car goes in for this stupid problem and two times they confirm they solved it and only testing it once on the parking lot shows it isn’t.

Great service Carrera Morors Latem !

Ok to be fair. Thanks for fixing my heater within a week last winter. That was really great. Thanks Porsche for buying low quality heaters from Webasto.
Can you give this a try to see if yours is the same as mine? After many many months I finally figured out the pattern why mine unlocks just after I lock it. If you lock it, and walks towards the front of your car but keep close to the fender as you walk, it will unlock. But, if I walk out perpendicular to the car or towards the rear then it doesn’t. So the front sensor that is used to unlock your car when you walk to it seems to be active right after I lock it. To remedy this, Porsche needs to add a 5 seconds dormant to the sensor to let us walk away after locking.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Can you give this a try to see if yours is the same as mine? After many many months I finally figured out the pattern why mine unlocks just after I lock it. If you lock it, and walks towards the front of your car but keep close to the fender as you walk, it will unlock. But, if I walk out perpendicular to the car or towards the rear then it doesn’t. So the front sensor that is used to unlock your car when you walk to it seems to be active right after I lock it. To remedy this, Porsche needs to add a 5 seconds dormant to the sensor to let us walk away after locking.
Will give it try this afternoon. I think it may be different because I usually walk to the back. It is now also happening with the key. Maybe I should try to stand still until locked ?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the automatic, proximity based, unlock/present handle disabled on my car, and still experience the self-unlock after locking, as well as inability to unlock the car by touching the handles on other occasions.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have the automatic, proximity based, unlock/present handle disabled on my car, and still experience the self-unlock after locking, as well as inability to unlock the car by touching the handles on other occasions.
That's strange then. I didn't realize you can unlock the car by touching the handles LOL, but that's because I don't turn the proximity feature off like you have so it's always already unlocked by the time I get to it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's strange then. I didn't realize you can unlock the car by touching the handles LOL, but that's because I don't turn the proximity feature off like you have so it's always already unlocked by the time I get to it.
I turn it off so the car doesn't unlock every time I walk by it with keys in my pocket (both annoying and puts wear on the handles). My wife on the other hand keeps the auto-present on for her car, as she never carries keys in her pocket, so rarely walks by the car with keys.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I turn it off so the car doesn't unlock every time I walk by it with keys in my pocket (both annoying and puts wear on the handles). My wife on the other hand keeps the auto-present on for her car, as she never carries keys in her pocket, so rarely walks by the car with keys.
Do you carry the keys in your pocket all day? Wouldn’t just have it when you’re about to drive it?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you carry the keys in your pocket all day? Wouldn’t just have it when you’re about to drive it?
No, but carry keys every time I leave the house, which most of the time is not driving. It unlocks my car as I like to leave through the garage (use an NFC keychain to open/close garage - more convenient than keys locking doors).

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
I have this exact issue, the car immediately unlocked after I touched the handle to lock it. Went into the service last week for another issue (loud grinding noise when A/C is on) and asked the SA about this TSB, he said they will be replacing all 4 door handles but need 3-4 weeks to order them. I will be coming back in to service to replace the handles when the they arrived.

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Interesting! I suddenly have got this issue. It started when I tried to lock the car onboard a ferry the other night. I never paid any attention to this thread before but now have the same issue.

If I read the bulletin correctly it should not occur in my car since that is a MY20 (built in 2019)? And I never use comfort access and have that switched off. Normally use the key or press the area on the handle.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting! I suddenly have got this issue. It started when I tried to lock the car onboard a ferry the other night. I never paid any attention to this thread before but now have the same issue.

If I read the bulletin correctly it should not occur in my car since that is a MY20 (built in 2019)? And I never use comfort access and have that switched off. Normally use the key or press the area on the handle.
Maybe your door handle chip software was recently updated OTA? ;)
Competent EV owners keep track of their door handle chip/sofware versions.
:CWL:

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I have so far only once seen a OTA update!

Apart for the appalling Map update messages! And subsequently mess of charging stops.
Sponsored