NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So, I called Porsche Assist, and the local AA man turned up. He tried to use the mechanical key which as I had found cannot be easily inserted or turned. He had to use pliers to get it in or out as it is that stiff! then there is an amazingly complex procedure which I will add as a separate thread as well to aid others. You have to turn the key in three stages according to his manual (not issued to owners??!) First you turn the key 45 degrees, then another 5 degrees, and then are able to turn it again (seems incredible). Furthermore, the key would not come out subsequently when turned back and eventually could be removed removed only with pliers.
This is mostly inconsistent with my observation the one time I have had to use the mechanical key since April. I agree it is stiff to turn the key in the lock, but at no point did I need pliers to turn the key to unlock the door or to turn it back or to remove the key from the lock cylinder. Finger strength was sufficient, but I did wonder if I was twisting hard enough to break something... Therefore, I wonder if his manual might apply to other Porsches and not the Taycan, or might not even be a Porsche specific manual? I'd also want to check that his procedure didn't damage your lock cylinder.
Sponsored

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I’m currently dealing with this same issue - the Cambridge curse?

I went in with my eyes wide open from all the reporting on this forum, but just like those that do not understand how odds work when they buy a lottery ticket, I failed to ignore the odds of these negatives happening to me. This is now the second major issue we’ve had with the car and we’ve only had it two weeks and traveled 354 miles. Even on Saturday an alert showed up on the dashboard saying “Emergency Stop function not available. Temporary condition, driving permitted”.

We drove 7 miles yesterday, parked it over night and this morning the alarm went off. Vodafone said this was because it lost connection, which seems to fit with all the 12V issues, as now the Connect app doesn’t even show the battery. Now it’s completely dead, with no response to either key. At least the alarm stopped though.

AA were here within 45 minutes and, fortunately, we had your guide to follow to help us get into the car. Now it’s back to life but the wing mirrors won‘t come out, so will likely need Porsche Cambridge to come and collect it tomorrow once they’ve opened.

We’re on the latest software update.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m currently dealing with this same issue - the Cambridge curse?

I went in with my eyes wide open from all the reporting on this forum, but just like those that do not understand how odds work when they buy a lottery ticket, I failed to ignore the odds of these negatives happening to me. This is now the second major issue we’ve had with the car and we’ve only had it two weeks and traveled 354 miles. Even on Saturday an alert showed up on the dashboard saying “Emergency Stop function not available. Temporary condition, driving permitted”.

We drove 7 miles yesterday, parked it over night and this morning the alarm went off. Vodafone said this was because it lost connection, which seems to fit with all the 12V issues, as now the Connect app doesn’t even show the battery. Now it’s completely dead, with no response to either key. At least the alarm stopped though.

AA were here within 45 minutes and, fortunately, we had your guide to follow to help us get into the car. Now it’s back to life but the wing mirrors won‘t come out, so will likely need Porsche Cambridge to come and collect it tomorrow once they’ve opened.

We’re on the latest software update.
Sorry to hear of these problems and particularly so since you have the software update.

Interested to know what diagnosis Porsche provide and if in any way the PVTS tracker (Vodafone) led to the 12v battery drain.

You should be able to open the door mirrors manually (safety feature) by simply rotating them.

The other issue you had was probably a false positive from one of the sensors (moisture / dust potentially).

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Sorry to hear of these problems and particularly so since you have the software update.

Interested to know what diagnosis Porsche provide and if in any way the PVTS tracker (Vodafone) led to the 12v battery drain.

You should be able to open the door mirrors manually (safety feature) by simply rotating them.

The other issue you had was probably a false positive from one of the sensors (moisture / dust potentially).
Thanks, Adrian - that fixed the mirrors. They won't go back in afterwards, but it's enough to at least drive it over to Porsche Cambridge tomorrow.

You're probably right on the notice/warning, but when you're a bit on edge as it's breaking down it's not something good to see. Here's a pic anyway, in case it helps anyone in future.

Porsche Taycan LOCKED OUT IMG_2228

I'll see what Porsche Cambridge say, but I am gutted - so far it just seems far too unreliable. First, losing all power and needing to pull over and now this. I don't think my pictures will make it into the Taycan brochure anytime soon.

Porsche Taycan LOCKED OUT IMG_2250
Porsche Taycan LOCKED OUT WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 09.48.17

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Thanks, Adrian - that fixed the mirrors. They won't go back in afterwards, but it's enough to at least drive it over to Porsche Cambridge tomorrow.

You're probably right on the notice/warning, but when you're a bit on edge as it's breaking down it's not something good to see. Here's a pic anyway, in case it helps anyone in future.

IMG_2228.jpeg

I'll see what Porsche Cambridge say, but I am gutted - so far it just seems far too unreliable. First, losing all power and needing to pull over and now this. I don't think my pictures will make it into the Taycan brochure anytime soon.

IMG_2250.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 09.48.17.png
What software version do you have?
"Latest" doesn't mean anything.

OP
OP

majugo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo., McLaren 675lt, Lotus elise race car, Honda Cfv, Mercedes slk 300, Peugeot 107; Fiat Panda
Country flag
I had the car go dead again following the 17 hour update (2020 car) at Cambridge. This was just 36 hours after I had last driven it. This time the door remained unlocked, but the 12v was dead and I was not going to try to jump start it myself, and being totally fed up, asked Cambridge to get it taken away. It was away for most of 2 weeks this time. The fault was ascribed to the alarm system searching and draining the battery. Apparently this was an error with the new software, which has been corrected. Since I have had the car back it has been faultless, but I am keeping a close eye and fingers crossed. The car is such a great drive, but these problems................
I have just uploaded a video comparing the drive experience to my McLaren 675LT
link is:

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
@majugo Brilliant!
Shame you had so much traffic to dodge. Look forward to your track comparison.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Quick update: the 12V battery needs replacing and they've had to order one from Germany and expect it mid-next week.

Porsche Cambridge do not have any loaners until mid-June, so we've been given a convertible two-door Audi A5 from Porsche Assist, which is ever-so-slightly impractical as a family vehicle with a 3 month old baby. I'll likely be wasting another morning of my life tomorrow in talking to Porsche Assist to sort it out.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
(Hopefully) Final Update: Porsche Cambridge phoned yesterday to say the 12V battery arrived in the morning, they were able to install it and confirm all is well in the world again. We picked it up earlier today and so far it's survived the mean streets of Cambridge.

I will summarise the experience as unsatisfactory. I own a software company and the only thing you can guarantee is that something will go wrong - it's how you respond to it that keeps you in business. Two major faults with a £131k car in three weeks of ownership definitely falls under the undesirable heading, but it was the amount of time it took to deal with it that I really resent.

I spent over 6 hours on the phone last week dealing with this, between Porsche Assist and Porsche Cambridge. The easy part was getting Porsche Assist to come and look at the car, but getting them to take it away and get a courtesy car was immense hassle that was a manual on A Comedy of Errors: Turbo Edition. That it was also booked in Porsche Cambridge for the trackers to be configured and they still forgot to do it (after I phoned this morning to double check, as I had a feeling they'd forget) was the icing on this turd flavoured cake.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
(Hopefully) Final Update: Porsche Cambridge phoned yesterday to say the 12V battery arrived in the morning, they were able to install it and confirm all is well in the world again. We picked it up earlier today and so far it's survived the mean streets of Cambridge.

I will summarise the experience as unsatisfactory. I own a software company and the only thing you can guarantee is that something will go wrong - it's how you respond to it that keeps you in business. Two major faults with a £131k car in three weeks of ownership definitely falls under the undesirable heading, but it was the amount of time it took to deal with it that I really resent.

I spent over 6 hours on the phone last week dealing with this, between Porsche Assist and Porsche Cambridge. The easy part was getting Porsche Assist to come and look at the car, but getting them to take it away and get a courtesy car was immense hassle that was a manual on A Comedy of Errors: Turbo Edition. That it was also booked in Porsche Cambridge for the trackers to be configured and they still forgot to do it (after I phoned this morning to double check, as I had a feeling they'd forget) was the icing on this turd flavoured cake.
Glad you are back on the road again even if it is bitter sweet.

From the moment VW took over Porsche and shared electrical components and expanded the model range the wheels started to come off the Porsche wagon in my view.

Dealers are generally a mixed bag, often arrogant and are too focused on sales. The customer base has expanded greatly at the expense of a quality service throughout your ownership.

I'm still a fan but not surprised when things go wrong however with the Taycan it can be more traumatic given the instant stranding an electric car can give you.

If it's any consolation all electric car brands suffer 12V issues - 2 days ago it was Ford Mustang EV (same issue as Taycan) and more will follow until a failsafe design is implemented.

Enjoy!
Sponsored