IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
back in May I posted a question about what to do when I leave my Taycan in the garage from beginning of November through middle of April. After reading various responses and also talking the Porsche dealer (who didn't have a lot of information) and also looking at similar information on the BMW i4 forum, I concluded that I will leave my Taycan plugged into the wall charger and change my profile so that it only charges to 50%.

There was some discussion whether I should also connect a lithium 12v trickle charger to the battery under the front hood. I bought the lithium trickle charger that was recommended. However now I'm wondering if I really need to use it. If the main batteries keep the 12v battery charged, and since I'm keeping the main batteries always charged to 50%, I'm wondering why I need to attach the trickle charger to the 12v battery.

Would love to know what others have to say about this.

Oh and by the way I'm going to over inflate my tires by about 3 or 4 pounds each.
Sponsored

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
I don’t have a Taycan yet, but based on past threads I’ve read here, my understanding is that the Taycan’s HV battery will only charge the 12v battery while the vehicle is “powered on” which makes trickle-charging necessary for long term storage just like on an ICE vehicle. I’m sure others here will shed more light on this…

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
back in May I posted a question about what to do when I leave my Taycan in the garage from beginning of November through middle of April. After reading various responses and also talking the Porsche dealer (who didn't have a lot of information) and also looking at similar information on the BMW i4 forum, I concluded that I will leave my Taycan plugged into the wall charger and change my profile so that it only charges to 50%.

There was some discussion whether I should also connect a lithium 12v trickle charger to the battery under the front hood. I bought the lithium trickle charger that was recommended. However now I'm wondering if I really need to use it. If the main batteries keep the 12v battery charged, and since I'm keeping the main batteries always charged to 50%, I'm wondering why I need to attach the trickle charger to the 12v battery.

Oh and by the way I'm going to over inflate my tires by about 3 or 4 pounds each.
Here’s what I suggest:
  1. Read the manual, specifically the dynamically updated electronic version embedded within the My Porsche app. See section “Notes on leaving the vehicle unused for long periods”.
  2. Make sure your car is fully up to date on software, the uPdate etc. If you are not up to date, jump on that ASAP because you’ve only got a month left to get scheduled for a service visit.
  3. From your original thread, look back at the TSB that was shared. Given the notes in that about contacting your dealer if you intend to store the car for 3+ months, you should do exactly that - get the official Porsche guidance from the dealer in written form, not just to follow the advice, but to prove you sought that advice and followed it - in case shit happens and somebody tries to cast doubt on your storage diligence in a warranty situation.
  4. Don’t ask your Sales Associate for #3, get it from the manager of the Service Department.
I suspect Porsche will advise using a battery tender, or you will end up doing so anyway, for peace of mind.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Here’s what I suggest:
  1. Read the manual, specifically the dynamically updated electronic version embedded within the My Porsche app. See section “Notes on leaving the vehicle unused for long periods”.
  2. Make sure your car is fully up to date on software, the uPdate etc. If you are not up to date, jump on that ASAP because you’ve only got a month left to get scheduled for a service visit.
  3. From your original thread, look back at the TSB that was shared. Given the notes in that about contacting your dealer if you intend to store the car for 3+ months, you should do exactly that - get the official Porsche guidance from the dealer in written form, not just to follow the advice, but to prove you sought that advice and followed it - in case shit happens and somebody tries to cast doubt on your storage diligence in a warranty situation.
  4. Don’t ask your Sales Associate for #3, get it from the manager of the Service Department.
I suspect Porsche will advise using a battery tender, or you will end up doing so anyway, for peace of mind.
+1 read the manual

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag

I will be doing the same, however, I will be attaching a battery tender (ctek). Hibernation starts when the first day of salting starts.

+Reference to the official porsche recommendation.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf

Last edited:

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Yes, I’m gonna do the same. There was a response above that said the main battery doesn’t charge for 12 V unless the car is turned on.
I'm not confident that the 12v will be charge appropriately. I was away for a week and the 12v battery level dropped enough that my dash cam wouldn't turn on for parking mode. So, I'd like to not risk the 12v battery given the shortages.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
I'm not confident that the 12v will be charge appropriately. I was away for a week and the 12v battery level dropped enough that my dash cam wouldn't turn on for parking mode. So, I'd like to not risk the 12v battery given the shortages.
Agreed.
Sponsored