Looking to buy, but how worried should I be about this 12V issue....

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think 25% is an insane over estimation.

If porsche made 20,000 or so Taycans in 2020 that would be 5000 people.

This forum has 2000 memebers.
So 25% of this forum would be 500.

I don't see 500 people reporting 12 volt issues on this forum.

If it was more than 1% or 2% of global sales it would start showing up on the news.
5% the product would be considered defective and production would stop.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AndreasLondon

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think 25% is an insane over estimation.

If porsche made 20,000 or so Taycans in 2020 that would be 5000 people.

This forum has 2000 memebers.
So 25% of this forum would be 500.

I don't see 500 people reporting 12 volt issues on this forum.

If it was more than 1% or 2% of global sales it would start showing up on the news.
5% the product would be considered defective and production would stop.
Same here. I have the 2021 model and no issues so far. Kind of expected that something does not work from reading the chat comments, but seems like whatever issues - even though as inconvenient for those affected they may be - those are not widespread.

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I've haven't had the 12v issue neither.

The Taycan is an awesome car, if it meets your needs you should definitely consider getting one, you won't regret it.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Second time in 3 weeks now, and didn't even open the app, so don't really see any connection with that. But we're all just theorizing at the moment. Don't think even Porsche really knows...
Do you have background app refresh turned off for the connect app?

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Interesting comment.
No 12V issues and my background refresh is globally off for all applications (several stock market programs cause my phone to run hot if background refresh is left on).
Use all of the Porsche Connect features except timers.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Took delivery of my Taycan Turbo in March 2020. No issues until 5000 miles, then poof - Dead 12V battery. Dropped off the Taycan 2 weeks ago at the dealer. Monday will be week 3 without my car. Driving a mighty 2.0L Macan Base model loaner - not a bad little thing, but missing my Taycan.

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
I use the app here and there, I would say once or twice a week. No problems so far. Had a few minor problems where I just turned the car off waited 30 secs and turn the car back on to reset then the problem was gone. I would say a lot of the minor problems/bugs we have is a simple turn off/ on car, just like you would on a computer.

@NaiM5 I was wondering if you brought your car in to service, are you suppose to get a similar price range car for loaner?

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
I haven't explicitly turned off background refresh no. Good point. Will try that!

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use the app here and there, I would say once or twice a week. No problems so far. Had a few minor problems where I just turned the car off waited 30 secs and turn the car back on to reset then the problem was gone. I would say a lot of the minor problems/bugs we have is a simple turn off/ on car, just like you would on a computer.

@NaiM5 I was wondering if you brought your car in to service, are you suppose to get a similar price range car for loaner?
Honestly, feel lucky I have a loaner as some Taycan owners who have the 12V issue were not given a loaner because loaners weren’t available.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Some pure speculation on my part here: When the Connect app (or you interacting with the Porsche Web site) isn't causing your car to actively communicate, it will still check in periodically. Background App Refresh only allows your Connect app to grab these updates. It won't actually "wake up" the PCM any more than what is already happening for these periodic check-in updates. IMHO the 12V dying issue is because some active thing (setting / changing a charge timer, setting / changing preheat, setting / changing direct charging, etc.) wakes up the PCM and for some reason it can't go back to sleep, it drains the 12V, the HV controller re-charges the 12V but will stop doing so after some number of times before a vehicle start-up, and after that set number of times if the PCM is still awake, that's when the 12V eventually dies. Now even if 100% of this is correct, I don't know what to do about it other than to avoid using the Connect app to change things in the vehicle while it's on the charger, unless you are going to start the vehicle within 30 minutes or so.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I read everyone’s comments on this 12V mystery both on this forum and taycanevform.com.

I am confident that Porsche is working on it.
I am confident that Porsche will fix it.

In the mean time, I bought a portable battery jumper to keep in my trunk.

Absolutely love the car, just trying to wait patiently for it to come home. Harder said than done.

FYI: I probably lasted longer than others 5000 miles and 8 months before my first 12V failure because I have no internet connection to my Taycan in my condo garage...now does that throw a wrench in all of this?

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
FYI: I probably lasted longer than others 5000 miles and 8 months before my first 12V failure because I have no internet connection to my Taycan in my condo garage...now does that throw a wrench in all of this?
I was wondering the same thing. I don’t have my car yet to know. I live in a condo with zero cell service at my parking spot. I am a less susceptible to this issue or will the car still wake up trying to find a connection?? Since we can’t get a flatbed tow truck down there easily, my only option to recover is the jumpstart method. Hoping they find the solution before my car arrives in April.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
there is no way to predict how/why the 12V issue will strike - given that we lack insight into what causes it in first place - even the assertion that app use causes it is speculation…

also given the recent bulletin from Porsche I don’t think they know what causes it either…

we’ll eventually have a fix, but I’m not holding my breath.

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing. I don’t have my car yet to know. I live in a condo with zero cell service at my parking spot. I am a less susceptible to this issue or will the car still wake up trying to find a connection?? Since we can’t get a flatbed tow truck down there easily, my only option to recover is the jumpstart method. Hoping they find the solution before my car arrives in April.
I think Porsche will have a handle on this 12V by April. They’ve been working on it, I assume, for a few months now.

The 12V jump procedure is pretty easy after the first time. And the good news is, once the Taycan is on, the main traction battery will charge the 12V and everything feels merry.

The inconvenience is really having a jumper pack ready and the 5 minutes to get her jumped. And the general embarrassment of having to jump start a brand new $100-200k electric car from Porsche.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think Porsche will have a handle on this 12V by April. They’ve been working on it, I assume, for a few months now.

The 12V jump procedure is pretty easy after the first time. And the good news is, once the Taycan is on, the main traction battery will charge the 12V and everything feels merry.

The inconvenience is really having a jumper pack ready and the 5 minutes to get her jumped. And the general embarrassment of having to jump start a brand new $100-200k electric car from Porsche.
Which battery/jumper do you use? All the jump instructions i've seen state not to use Lithium Ion jump starters in no uncertain language.
Sponsored