First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Folks,

The preheat timer seems to work well for aircon and seats etc, but it does not preheat the battery, which I would have thought would be useful for better health/performance etc?

The battery was around ambient at time of departure.

Is timed battery preheat before departure a Taycan function? Or is it not required?

I have only set the timer 4 hours or so before departure - is that too short a time for the battery to warm up?

Also the car was already fully charged when I set the timer - So maybe it needs to require some degree of charging to activate battery preheat?

am I missing something?

many thanks
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Precool/preheat does not heat battery. Charging battery can raise its temperature. Porsche calls heating the battery to optimize DC fast charging "pre-conditioning". It occurs while driving when a DC fast charger (150kw or more) is entered as destination in nav unit.
Porsche Taycan Main battery preheat timer? 1670772635369

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Precool/preheat does not heat battery. Charging battery can raise its temperature. Porsche calls heating the battery to optimize DC fast charging "pre-conditioning". It occurs while driving when a DC fast charger (150kw or more) is entered as destination in nav unit.
1670772635369.png
Thanks Tooney - much appreciated - I must admit I couldn't find anything on it - had just assumed it would make sense so may be a function.. cheers

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Folks,

The preheat timer seems to work well for aircon and seats etc, but it does not preheat the battery, which I would have thought would be useful for better health/performance etc?

The battery was around ambient at time of departure.

Is timed battery preheat before departure a Taycan function? Or is it not required?

I have only set the timer 4 hours or so before departure - is that too short a time for the battery to warm up?

Also the car was already fully charged when I set the timer - So maybe it needs to require some degree of charging to activate battery preheat?

am I missing something?

many thanks
The only battery heating you'll get will be as a by product of heating the car.

To properly preheat and precondition the battery you have to select a DC EVSE in NAV as either a destination or stopover.

Since uPdate you don't need to worry too much about preheating/ conditioning the battery.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
My battery consistently ends up at 12-13 degrees when I set a departure timer over winter (i.e. now!), happens every morning regardless if plugged in or not. Cabin set to 21 and driver seat heating on.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My battery consistently ends up at 12-13 degrees when I set a departure timer over winter (i.e. now!), happens every morning regardless if plugged in or not. Cabin set to 21 and driver seat heating on.
Yes that's normal. No battery preheat.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Thanks guys, I now understand that there is no battery preheat for departure on a timer... thanks for the info. So my question is answered..... thanks

But just to clarify - since the discussion seems to be a lot about charging - my question was not about charging at all. It was about driving performance.

I would have thought it would make sense to preheat the battery ready for departure to get optimum battery performance for driving from the get-go. I guess that a very cold battery - especially if you drive quickly from the off - is probably not good for battery health if a large power drain is required suddenly - and probably does not help the car's performance capabilities either. That's just a guess on my part.

But in any case, I now understand that battery preheat before departure is a feature that is not provided - cheers

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks guys, I now understand that there is no battery preheat for departure on a timer... thanks for the info. So my question is answered..... thanks

But just to clarify - since the discussion seems to be a lot about charging - my question was not about charging at all. It was about driving performance.

I would have thought it would make sense to preheat the battery ready for departure to get optimum battery performance for driving from the get-go. I guess that a very cold battery - especially if you drive quickly from the off - is probably not good for battery health if a large power drain is required suddenly - and probably does not help the car's performance capabilities either. That's just a guess on my part.

But in any case, I now understand that battery preheat before departure is a feature that is not provided - cheers
Preheat consumes a lot of energy so I guess that's part of it.

Tonight it's -3C and so I set cabin preheat for 22C. 10 mins later and car is toasty and ice free to drive. Battery temp 9C.

Preheating / preconditioning to a selected DC EVSE via NAV will heat the battery to around 32C as it essentially knows it's going to get fed!

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Preheat consumes a lot of energy so I guess that's part of it.

Tonight it's -3C and so I set cabin preheat for 22C. 10 mins later and car is toasty and ice free to drive. Battery temp 9C.

Preheating / preconditioning to a selected DC EVSE via NAV will heat the battery to around 32C as it essentially knows it's going to get fed!
But if it's connected to an EVSE at home - surely that would power the preheat using mains power? Leaving the battery charge untouched?

That is the case I was trying to understand... Why not precondition the battery from the mains supply to allow optimum battery performance from the get-go

cheers

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But if it's connected to an EVSE at home - surely that would power the preheat using mains power? Leaving the battery charge untouched?

That is the case I was trying to understand... Why not precondition the battery from the mains supply to allow optimum battery performance from the get-go

cheers
Your question was discussed in another recent thread.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

cheers
Warm or cold you get instant power and torque from an EV.

Preheating / preconditioning really aids charging speed when on the road.