snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’d be curious to know by what measuring stick you are using to make this statement. Given PFS lousy lease terms you’d have to get equally horrible loan terms to say the lease vs loan is break-even.

There are plenty of reasons to consider a lease, tax benefits for someone who is self employed, ability to walk away at the end of the lease term in the event the vehicle is damaged, sure, but strictly financial reasons is not one of them. And their terms don’t even make for noticeably lower payments. With current loan rates, using all the same numbers at sale, you’d have roughly 8-10% of purchase price more trade equity at 36 months than you would have in value above residual.

I’ve never owned a Porsche for longer than 3 years, and I’ve never leased one either. I take good care of them, and I use favorable loan terms. So I’m not sure why you feel like a lease is what will allow you to trade up in 3 years. I would just say it forces you to trade up in 3 years, but it certainly doesn’t guarantee you the best deal at trade.
So in general you are correct. Side-by-side the lease is a bit more expensive, but I've found it usually not to be much more (couple of thou....).

So since no one likes throwing away cash, why do I lease? The answer has two parts - 1) I really want to upgrade my EV every 3 years. The rapid change in battery technology, charging infrastructure, and other hardware improvements (plus possibly changing EV brands) make me want to move on to the latest technology. I'd really like to upgrade on a 2 year cycle, but I'll settle for 3 since a 2 year lease is much more expensive. 2) I have been hit by other drivers three times in the past 10 years. The first two times I was stopped and they ran into me anyway. The last time (in my 2020 Taycan) I was doing 35 mph and someone turned into my lane in front of me at the last minute (no one hurt but frame twisted and car totaled). In spite of my best efforts there are a lot of distracted drivers out there, and I don't like dealing with the diminished value question and all the hassles that come along with that, so basically I'm renting the car.

I also take good care of my cars, so I think the leasing company is glad to have me as a customer, and if I ever do fall in love with a particular care I can always pick it up at the end of the lease for a pre-determined price and either keep it or sell it myself. For me this is worth a little extra upfront, but I can understand if its not for everyone.
Sponsored

ericj320

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So in general you are correct. Side-by-side the lease is a bit more expensive, but I've found it usually not to be much more (couple of thou....).

So since no one likes throwing away cash, why do I lease? The answer has two parts - 1) I really want to upgrade my EV every 3 years. The rapid change in battery technology, charging infrastructure, and other hardware improvements (plus possibly changing EV brands) make me want to move on to the latest technology. I'd really like to upgrade on a 2 year cycle, but I'll settle for 3 since a 2 year lease is much more expensive. 2) I have been hit by other drivers three times in the past 10 years. The first two times I was stopped and they ran into me anyway. The last time (in my 2020 Taycan) I was doing 35 mph and someone turned into my lane in front of me at the last minute (no one hurt but frame twisted and car totaled). In spite of my best efforts there are a lot of distracted drivers out there, and I don't like dealing with the diminished value question and all the hassles that come along with that, so basically I'm renting the car.

I also take good care of my cars, so I think the leasing company is glad to have me as a customer, and if I ever do fall in love with a particular care I can always pick it up at the end of the lease for a pre-determined price and either keep it or sell it myself. For me this is worth a little extra upfront, but I can understand if its not for everyone.
Fair enough, I can appreciate all those viable reasons for leasing. That said, I’m not sure I’d say a couple of thousand, I made an excel spreadsheet for a total cost of ownership at 39 months vs a 39 month lease, including loan balance vs residual value, it was about $8k-$10k in favor of the loan. They both have their risks. My only issue was with your statement that they were break even. The numbers don’t support that, but if you are adding value from other considerations, than I can see what you were implying.

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Hi there! My name is Natalie and I live in So Cal. I currently drive a Panamera and have a 2022 Taycan on the way. Frozen blue, Boudreaux red interior, gloss black everything. Delivery eta 12/17. I’m glad I found this site because it has been very informative.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hello all,

We went under contract for our 2022 Taycan with Champion Porsche here in South Florida back in late November and we‘re anxiously awaiting delivery. 13 more days to our freeze point and then another 82 or so (which I understand may not be the case) until delivery. Looking forward to getting educated from you all….lots to learn….but I’ve been getting up to speed. It was a sad day when I pre-traded my 2015 Cayman, and we’re trading in our 2019 Macan due to the fact we only need a single vehicle going forward. Hope you all have had and continue to have a great holiday season. Cheers!

Tom D in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida

Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! 414B90F5-299D-4863-8835-5C392BC263FC
Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! 90825634-AC80-4879-8E80-3DD538322762
Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! 171899E1-AF0E-4022-833B-713BA8A37807
Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! 542CADBA-A4FC-4032-8E16-FB3453E04C15

Last edited:

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Season's Greetings,

Another soon to be owner of a Taycan CT4 in Mamba Green Metallic in Northern CA. I placed the order in September and TYD had an estimated date of 12/24/21 for start of production. It's still in the Scheduled for Production phase though.

This will be my second Porsche. I owned a 1985.5 Porsche 944 in the late 80's. The CT4 will be a Costco hauler replacement for our Tesla Model 3 Performance. I originally had planned to order a 911 as a replacement for my 1997 Acura NSX, but the allocation situation was crazy. Decided on the replacement for the Tesla first instead.

Thanks for all the great info on this site !!

Happy New Year's everyone !!

segfault66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I test drove a Taycan 4S sedan on Monday and by Tuesday I was next in line for a March build slot for a Taycan 4S Cross Turismo. My interest in the 4S CT is inspired by some of my previous cars: 2002 Audi allroad AT, 2004 Audi allroad 6MT, and 2007 Porsche 911 C4S 6MT.

campkel

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S
Country flag
"New" member here but lurking for months. There's a ton of great information here and the forum really kept me excited during the journey. I took delivery of my Mamba Green 4S in November. I've got about 800 miles so far and am loving every one of those miles.

My delivery went like this:
Order Created: 7/7
Change Freeze 9/8
Scheduled Production: 9/15 pushed to 9/22
Start Production: pushed to 9/30
Completed: 10/6
Arrival at Emden: 10/13
On Vessel: 10/13
Vessel Stops:
Halifax CA 10/26,
Davisville US 10/28
Houston 11/26
Arrival: El Paso 11/26
Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! IMG_8843

EJO

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD Performance Plus
Country flag
Hello all, greetings from the Netherlands. Since 1 week I am the proud owner of a Taycan RWD performance plus. I traded in my Porsche 911 (997), but no regrets so far. Really like the car, also appreciate browsing this forum to help me discover all the features and tricks of the car.

Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! 3790037a-d92a-4f9a-a623-fe38cbd6b62a
Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! IMG_0354

Spyerx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Hi all new ev and taycan owner, long time Porsche fanatic. I picked this up about a month ago. Put nearly 1000 miles on it already. I have 4 other Porsches in the garage (3 911s and a macanS) and this is by far my favorite daily I’ve owned. Let’s say the macan needs a wash … not getting driven.
the taycan ct4 is really good.

Porsche Taycan Members Say Hello Here! E68D4045-57E6-485C-B5E9-FA2A2540EB8E

Palyndrome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.2 GTS
Country flag
Hi all !
New here as a writer, long time reader, I'm looking forward sharing with you more about the Taycan.
Currently owner of a Porsche 911 (991.2) Carrera GTS and before that a Macan Turbo
I'm looking for a more practical car than my 911 (Which is my only car ... !!!).
The Taycan Sport Turismo is on my short list.
So here I am !
Sponsored