Moloughney: real world highway range of EVs - Article

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Any possibility Porsche comes out with a software update that will allow us to use close to or all of the battery capacity?
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This is the important bit. You drive on the speed limit
What is your average on a long journey on motorway as there are not many long motorways in Ireland?
When you are driving on range mode at 130-150km/h you won’t ever drive 300km.
You might see 320 to 350km on your guessometer but you can’t do it.
The test that they did is at 70 miles/h so 110km/h.
At that speed on French highways you will fall asleep. And in Germany you’ll be scared by cars flying next to you.
I read an interesting article on this subject. Driving 110 kmh in stead of 135 for longer trips won’t make the trip faster unless it prevents an extra charging session. The car that drives 135 kmh to a charge stop at 270 km will take 2 hours the one that drives 110 will take 25 minutes longer. With our fast charging times the one that drives 135 kmh will almost be done charging when the one that drove slower arrives. Even when it is less economic that difference can be charged faster than the delay in arrival. The only way that driving slower has a faster arrival if it can prevent a charge stop. Second, especially in cold conditions if you drive slower the car needs the heat the cabin for a longer time which also reduces range. Bottom line for fast arrivals on long trips driving 135-140 kmh should be oke. Would be interesting to know what the optimal travel speed would be for fastest arrival. This is different for each car depending on charge speed, battery capacity and miles/kWh.

Ztarman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
290-300 miles is absolutely doable. I have a regular route I drive with fairly rural roads where I aim for 65mph (I set the adaptive cruise, and there's no passing, so sometimes it's a bit less). It's about 20-25 miles each way, so enough for me to get a decent average for the trip, and hitting the 3.6-3.8 mi/kWh is fairly common for me, even though I'll usually have either the windows down or the AC on. Of note is that this is with the ST body and 20" aero wheels.
Thanks, Do you use regenerative braking?, I do so maybe this is wrong thing to do for the range. Without it i end up braking a lot and the brakes aren't good. I will try turning it off and see
if things improve

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I read an interesting article on this subject. Driving 110 kmh in stead of 135 for longer trips won’t make the trip faster unless it prevents an extra charging session. The car that drives 135 kmh to a charge stop at 270 km will take 2 hours the one that drives 110 will take 25 minutes longer. With our fast charging times the one that drives 135 kmh will almost be done charging when the one that drove slower arrives. Even when it is less economic that difference can be charged faster than the delay in arrival. The only way that driving slower has a faster arrival if it can prevent a charge stop. Second, especially in cold conditions if you drive slower the car needs the heat the cabin for a longer time which also reduces range. Bottom line for fast arrivals on long trips driving 135-140 kmh should be oke. Would be interesting to know what the optimal travel speed would be for fastest arrival. This is different for each car depending on charge speed, battery capacity and miles/kWh.
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...of-the-year-contenders-tested-range-10-hours/ ?

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Man even in range mode at 100% battery on all highway I’m lucky to get 215 out of my Turbo with mission E wheels
Don’t know for turbo, but for CT4, 246miles is quite accurate.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Hello!

Planing to buy EV, and as I am now driving Macan (and I am happy with it); I am quite close to buy Taycan Cross Turismo. Two times per week I am driving from my home to work; one was distance is 254 km. It is divided as follows: 10 km city (50 to 80 km/h restrictions), 190 km motorway (130 km/h speed limit; I am usually driving to the limit but almost never exceeding 140 km/h), and 54 km local road (restrictions 90 to 50 km/h). As I have home chargers (and solar panels) both at home and at workplace; for me, it is OK if I am going to arrive with 15% of the battery at the destination.

Now – is Taycan Cross Turismo OK choice for such distance driving? The other choice I am considering is Mercedes EQE, but – as you can imagine, Taycan is so much more desirable…! :)

Any advice is appreciated, thank you very much!
Hello to neighbourhood.
If you can charge at work, CT will be fine since on average, i believe that You won’t spend more than 24 kwh/100km. Worst case (on highway at 140 km/h), up to 30 kwh/100km (when overtaking), otherwise around 24.
During winter time, consumption is higher for about 15% when temperatures goes down close to zero.

p.s.: i’d never (ever) choose Mercedes, even EQS.

Last edited:

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Thanks, Do you use regenerative braking?, I do so maybe this is wrong thing to do for the range. Without it i end up braking a lot and the brakes aren't good. I will try turning it off and see
if things improve
We always use regenerative braking, whichever way we drive or set the modes/behaviour. The difference lies in whether the car makes use of it or we do it ourselves with the brake pedal.

For efficiency, what is important is to avoid any sort of braking/retardation as much as possible (except uphill). Regeneration is much better than having 100% of lost kinetic energy go to heat, but can never be fully efficient. Around 80% is probably right, e.g. a 20% loss of the energy that could have been reused for propulsion if there was no loss in inverters, cables and battery.

That’s for optimizing efficiency. Optimizing joy may be another matter, and sometimes also safety.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Don’t know for turbo, but for CT4, 246miles is quite accurate.
That seems plausible for my Turbo CT on 20" aero wheels, in ideal conditions (that I doubt I'll ever experience on British roads). Most of my longer journeys do suggest the potential to get around that actual range.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
That is interesting. For long drives things can be completely different for different cars. And charge speed is just as important as range. A longer range just gets you further on the first charge. After that the diffenrce is reduced because only 70% SoC is used between charges. And a bigger battery needs longer charging. I have said this in another thread. Our Taycan range is not the best in class but charging is. And the Taycan also keeps the predicted range at normal highway travel speed. Others go down quickly when driving 130 kmh compared to 100 kmh.

it would be more useful for future owners to know what their 10 hour drive range or 1000 km time would be driving at highway speeds. All other range predictions don’t matter because most people will stay in the normale range for daily driving anyway. Range and charge speed are only important for long trips.
Sponsored