Jvierra

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The other night, I was "pulled over" by one of Honolulu's finest" to discuss the acceleration of my fabulous Porsche Taycan. I was in a quandary because I didn't know how to mute or turn off the audio without opening my car door - after turning vehicle off - so as not to seem rude to the officer.
Is it possible to mute the audio, after turning off vehicle, without opening the door?
THanks
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
The other night, I was "pulled over" by one of Honolulu's finest" to discuss the acceleration of my fabulous Porsche Taycan. I was in a quandary because I didn't know how to mute or turn off the audio without opening my car door - after turning vehicle off - so as not to seem rude to the officer.
Is it possible to mute the audio, after turning off vehicle, without opening the door?
THanks
Press in the left side roller (volume) button on the steering wheel?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Not without restarting vehicle… mute does not work or lowering volume with either left thumbwheel on steering wheel or console. Should be changed…

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not without restarting vehicle… mute does not work or lowering volume with either left thumbwheel on steering wheel or console. Should be changed…
I'm very confused by that. Why would the standard mute function (press in on the left thumbwheel) not work in the specific circumstance of a traffic stop?

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm very confused by that. Why would the standard mute function (press in on the left thumbwheel) not work in the specific circumstance of a traffic stop?

I think the issue is that the OP turn the car off first and because he did that, steering wheel control no longer functions. Only other option may be to pretty the volume down button in the center console where the climate control is. After a while I think it'll be 2nd nature for us to just press the mute the volume or spin the dial down before powering down. I would think that if you calmly explain to the officer that that you are turning on the car to turn down the volume and that you'll immediate turn off the car afterward so that you and the officer can communication effectively, they wouldn't have any issue with that.

This also posing an interesting issue with EV cars which is that it's hard to tell if the car if off or not, and how quietly we can turn our car on get a move on.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
The volume controls at the bottom edge of the center console still function with car shut off.

I knew because I had already wondered the same.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Use two fingers bottom edge and hold on the lower screen to mute or thumb wheel as mentioned above.

Reactions: B61

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I just tried this.....

Once the power is turned off and the thumb wheel is inoperative.

But the volume +&- on the bottom of the lower screen still worked.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So were you ticketed? Or just have a "discussion"?

Last year when I first got the Taycan, I may have exceeded reasonable limits for speed and/or acceleration once or twice, and had two "discussions," but neither resulted in a ticket - in both cases I was asked and knew exactly what the speed limit was and how fast I was going. The officers in both cases were more interested in the car. I've found that many police are indeed motorheads and once they've determined you are mostly a respectable driver (and aware of limits and your speed), they enjoy a brief discussion about new and/or high-performance cars.

This has not always worked though - cops in revenue generating speed traps are only there for one reason - revenue. I'm looking at YOU Beckly, WV. What kind of dickhead cop pulls over a Dad in a minivan with two kids and a wife all of whom are vocally tired of being in the car. Clearly I was just trying to end the pain as soon as possible...

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
wait...you are supposed to turn the music down when a police office approaches your car?

well, that explains everything now! :rock:

@buruburu , interesting point. First, I don't envy the position police officers are in currently with the political climate. They are literally damned if they do and could potentially have their lives taken if they don't. So, to your point, if someone wants to 'make a run for it', it is common for them to wait until they are up to the perp's vehicle and then they gun-it, to allow the greatest distance between the office and their ability to get back in their cruiser and pursuit.
With an EV and launch control, one could literally have a 'loaded weapon', cocked and ready to rock, with the releasing of the brake pedal. Just one more hazard officers have to assess on the fly, make a split decision on and have life-altering consequences happen.....only to have some politician have a PR-Team assess the optics, video, social media sentiment and spend hours and days analyzing the footage and only then after thorough analysis and spot-polling, come out with a statement of condemnation and that they should have 'deescalated the situation this-way, or that and are "insert the pejorative of the week that is polling the highest to reaction score"' . I am not saying they can do no wrong, either....just stating that if you do the crime, expect to be roughed up a little bit in order to get you under control.

OP
OP
Jvierra

Jvierra

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. Yes, the center console button will control volume after car is parked.
Sponsored