MY 2025 Taycan refresh?

abakran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
infiniti
Country flag
Anyone have insight on when the expected mid cycle refresh will happen? Originally I thought MY 2024, but looks like that isn't happening. Anyone know or have inside information on the MY25 and if that will be a refresh? If so any early info on what would be changing?
Sponsored

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Lots of comments and threads on this.

Bottom line

1. No certainty about when the release date will be but likely MY2025
2. External changes minor but probably will include revised headlight design (looks worse in my view than current) and minor rear light changes (barely visible)
3. New HD Matrix LED headlights with better penetration and visibility likely
4. Interior changes probably very minimal but no clear pictures to make a judgement but PCM software changes have to happen, whether now or in the future
5. Nothing on range on the various webpages. But major range increases unlikely in my view as it would piss off existing customers whose depreciation will worsen, but minor, and possibly retrofittable software efficiencies are possible as has already been done in software updates.

Otherwise, keep speculating, it only adds to the fun as actually, likely that absolutely no-one knows release date apart from Porsche top brass.

Deleted member 6348

You can take "new headlights" to the bank, because Porsche always does this.
Front and rear fascia tweaks are inevitable as well, but aside from the 991.1 - 991.2, Porsche's midcycle refreshes aren't very dramatic.

I wouldn't be surprised to see new PCM hardware, even if the software itself doesn't get a major update.

We'll also probably see new EPA numbers reflecting all of efficiency updates through software. Given how well Taycan batteries are holding up, I could see them reducing the amount of battery reserve for increased range.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
5. Nothing on range on the various webpages. But major range increases unlikely in my view as it would piss off existing customers whose depreciation will worsen, but minor, and possibly retrofittable software efficiencies are possible as has already been done in software updates.
I agree with your conclusion but I’m deeply skeptical of the reason you provide for that outcome.

The improvements will likely be minor because I doubt there will be any major technology breakthroughs between now and the finalization of the design for the refresh.

But if Porsche or anyone else could introduce a major breakthrough, you can bet they would do so as soon as possible without the least bit of concern over depreciation. I doubt that would be even a factor in their decision-making process. They want profit and if they didn’t release, another manufacturer would.

Also, we all know, just as Porsche knows, that most of us would just rush out and buy a new car from them anyway just so we could benefit. ;)

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes I am sure you are correct in many respects and that is my view of the corporate world by and large too with many companies.

There are many customers like me, new to Porsche buying the Taycan however, so I think there will be a perhaps winking eye towards customer loyalty which in a corporate sense does and should matter. Making major changes for a facelift may not go down well with some like me whose loyalty to Porsche is not set in stone. The Mark 2 Taycan will have major systems/battery upgrades but this is entirely expected for any "new" model.

In some respects, it may be a reason why the software updates have been retrofittable, to encourage this loyalty and not piss customers off that they have now got an old version of something they bought a few months ago for north of a lot of money.

An audiophile company, Linn, always made upgrades retrofittable for their high end Sondek turntable (remember those?). It made me comfortable buying their products and knowing I could upgrade to the latest version for a fraction of the cost of buying the whole shebang again. It made me feel the company was thinking about the existing customers. Loyalty came with that knowledge. Appreciate its different for every corporation though.

Last edited:

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I also think its possible that they change out the lower screen for something closer to whats in the refereshed Cayenne (and upcoming Panamera). Looks like they've decided to keep some actual switches, so that would a nice enhancement to the Taycan: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43445193/2024-porsche-cayenne-interior-updated/

And yeah- I agree with the poster above regarding any major upgrades to the range. Likely wont happen due to tech/cost limitations. But if Porsche could do it cost effectively (and it would mean they could also increase profits even more) they would do it and wouldn't even blink at the thought of pissing off existing customers. In fact, they regularly introduce new models or changes to existing models that affect values. Infamous example would be the 991.1 911R. Supposedly the last manual car with a GT3 engine. Values shot up. THen they introduced the GT3 touring in the 991.2 w/ a manual! 911R prices tanked.

Still, I think existing Taycan owners are pretty safe...Porsche's main goal right now is maximizing profits and minimizing changes. So...if there was any meanignful advances in battery tech, I could see them using it to reduce cost while keeping range similar or maybe slightly better. And given how fast they're raising prices I shudder to think how much the 2025s will cost!

Last edited:

mlambert890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
997.1 to 997.2 saw tiptronic get replaced by PDK. This was massive. People forget how enormous ICE changes have been generation over generation for the past 20 years or so and no manufacturer, certainly not Porsche, has cared about "pissing off existing customers" when dropping updates into a refresh. They care about whether they're losing competitive edge and therefore need to drop big changes in the refresh.

I do agree though that there's likely not that much more they can do with the J1 platform.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
997.1 to 997.2 saw tiptronic get replaced by PDK. This was massive. People forget how enormous ICE changes have been generation over generation for the past 20 years or so and no manufacturer, certainly not Porsche, has cared about "pissing off existing customers" when dropping updates into a refresh. They care about whether they're losing competitive edge and therefore need to drop big changes in the refresh.

I do agree though that there's likely not that much more they can do with the J1 platform.
Think about 993 to 996 with water cooling . . . Massive, although this did increase value of 993. And then abandoning the organic design (not a straight line on or in the car) of the 996 for a return to straight lines and perfect circles as a throwback to heritage of the 997. Actually, having owned one of each generation, I thought the biggest improvement of the 997 was suspension, and I liked the organic design of the 996 and wished they had given it an update rather than trashing it.

So Porsche has a history of making minor evolutionary changes that are somehow totally expected in hindsight but revolutionary in their own way.

BUT, the mid-cycle refreshes are usually primarily cosmetic mainly due to design time and difficulty of implementing major changes (not due to protecting resale).

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Anyone have insight on when the expected mid cycle refresh will happen? Originally I thought MY 2024, but looks like that isn't happening. Anyone know or have inside information on the MY25 and if that will be a refresh? If so any early info on what would be changing?
With the release of the MY24 Cayenne, you can start to see the updated Porsche design language. I expect that the MY25 Taycan will see this mid-cycle refresh/update too.

Personally, I am planning to go back to the Panamera when that becomes available as a full EV.

joecool99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Taycan looks very good as it is, however - I would prefer more buttons and wheels for interior. Climate control, heat seats etc. mute radio button. Just few basic should be physical.

Tesla S has 100kWh battery and 400miles - I would want to see Taycan getting bigger battery too and 350+ miles.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Earlier this afternoon I filled out one of those emailed surveys for Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) about improving the driving experience. My first suggestion was to replace some features that I think were engineered purely for engineer's sake:
-- use knobs for interior temperature control and fan speed
-- use manually-adjustable vents to direct interior airflow

These didn't keep me from buying a Taycan, but hey, there's always hope somebody's listening...

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Apropos of nothing, thank you so much for undoing whatever custom font you used to have that made your posts brain-meltingly unreadable on my poor Debian desktop.
Wow - new to me. That post and this one are from my Android phone.

I usually post from my desktop and specify Tahoma font for its distinct upper case I, lower case l, and number 1.

violuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 RWD
Country flag
Tahoma font
It's a Microsoft font, and I have no Windows licenses, so I have no Tahoma font. Whatever Chromium automatically replaces for it is very pixelated at small sizes and extremely hard to read.

Not that you or anybody else need concern yourselves with my convenience, of course. I'm just happy to be able to read what you write again, as I had taken to just scrolling past your comments to avoid migraines.
Sponsored