Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just ordered mine from Shapeway.com. There is a promo code MYFIRSTPRINT saved me almost 15% on the whole order. Was $79.21 all in and discount was $10.39 making it $68.82 (US) shipped to me.

I went with the Versatile Plastic, Black, and I select Premium (doubles the price) as I wanted it as smooth as possible to not scratch my interior. I intend to mount a magsafe on it to hold the phone and allow me to charge if on a longer trip since Waze drains my phone battery.

Delivery is Nov 2. Will post pics once it arrives. Thanks @Axdenied for the 3D file and @blulite for the web link and the plastic (I had no idea which one to pick).
Why o why.

Is the US special in some way?

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/porsche-taycan/2020

A Proclip cost is half the printed version?? I just do not understand this??
Sponsored

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I'm considering getting this printed, but what do we do if we don't have a magnet readily available and we aren't necessarily interested in buying the whole magsafe charger? I think in most cases, for my short drives, I don't need to charge a few %. Plus, with my typical usage, I don't need to top off during the day. I'd rather have no cable visible. For road trips where I actually do need the charge, I can just plug in a lightning cable.

For someone like me, any suggestions on how to get a magnet that would work nicely with this mount? (I recall that OP had recycled one from a previous phone mount).

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was looking at the car and wish there was a usb-c port in the little tray behind the lower screen. Would be easy to run a short cable there and not have it seen.

I am going to explore finding a way to hide it along the sides of the center console.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was looking at the car and wish there was a USB-c port in the little tray behind the lower screen. Would be easy to run a short cable there and not have it seen.

I am going to explore finding a way to hide it along the sides of the center console.
There is a crack along the side of the console (between the leather and the plastic) that it can be wedged into. I ran it to thru the tray area to the passenger side, down along that space, and into the console compartment. I installed a cigarette USB charger instead of using the built-in USB ports as I don’t think they have enough power for the MagSafe.

Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_1646
Porsche Taycan My 3D printed Taycan phone holder IMG_1647

Last edited:

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a crack along the side of the console (between the leather and the plastic) that it can be wedged into. I ran it to thru the tray area to the passenger side, down along that space, and into the console compartment. I installed a cigarette USB charger instead of using the built-in USB ports as I don’t think they have enough power for the MagSafe.

IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg
Do you have some holder under the phone holder (looks metallic). I did not realize the USB-C could not run the magsafe. I do not use the cigarette lighter so that will work.

Thanks for the info!!

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have some holder under the phone holder (looks metallic). I did not realize the USB-C could not run the magsafe. I do not use the cigarette lighter so that will work.

Thanks for the info!!
Not sure what metallic parts you are seeing. I have some small plastic clips (double stick taped) holding the cable under the console (Lowes). As for USB-C charging, that all depends. If you read up on the MagSafe it requires a high-powered charger. I believe it's 18W. I don't know what Porsche put behind their USB ports, but it's probably not high-powered. I bought "UGREEN 20W USB C Car Charger" from Amazon. I also bought a right-angle short cable adapter to keep the cable from poking too far into the compartment.

You cannot see the cable in my install. All you see is the short stub coming off the MagSafe charger itself, the rest is hidden.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks great. Exactly what I am trying to achieve. Low profile and blends in.

How did you attach the magnetic phone charger to the 3D base? I have my base, but have not purchased the mag safe as I could not find one locally in black.

OP
OP
Axdenied

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Pleased with how this turned out. Thanks again for the 3D printing file.

1EC05479-1D1B-49D7-8990-D46DE46C4BDE.jpeg

075A8410-CA04-460B-9690-B15FA908447E.jpeg
Looks great @Greenmachine . Have you thought of printing it with a beige filament to match your leather? Could blend in even more.
Did you connect the MagSafe to power or just using it as a magnet?

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
Looks great @Greenmachine . Have you thought of printing it with a beige filament to match your leather? Could blend in even more.
Did you connect the MagSafe to power or just using it as a magnet?
This is just a cheap adhesive magnet that I used. I figured I could use the expensive Porsche USB cable when I need power on longer drives so that my wife can also use it for her Android phone.

Color matching to the leather is a great idea but I didn't think of that in time.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag

McNasty

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
You might want to rethink the MagSafe holder. he back side of the MagSafe is for cooling and your design has enclosed that cooling area. I have no idea if this will be a problem.
Why do you think this? Plenty of magsafe car chargers have it's holder directly behind it, enclosing the "cooling area".

Magsafe chargers are meant to be put on a table.. where the back of the charger will be laying on when the phone is charging.

I would think it would be fine to glue a magsafe charger to the holder and run the cord into a port.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That’s cost!!!! I think it would have cost me maybe 15p to print that. Those companies like shapeways are taking the piss right..
Can you print one for me and post to me in Cambridge please?

Reactions: da2

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag

IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg
Are you using apple magsafe charger? looks not? because that one should be white?

and is the cable long enough to connect to the central box? how did you get the cable into the central box?

thanks.