DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've got a 2014 911 Targa 4S and it has been a very well loved car for many years. I have major EV envy though (my wife drives a Tesla) and I'm about 90% on pulling the trigger for a Taycan RWD with the following spec:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5KQBL3

I am both excited and nervous. I've had 3 Boxsters and 3 911s throughout my life, never had a 4 door and I bemoan losing the open roof.

Has anyone else moved from a 911 to the Taycan and if so, what are your experiences and thoughts?
Sponsored

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I've got a 2014 911 Targa 4S and it has been a very well loved car for many years. I have major EV envy though (my wife drives a Tesla) and I'm about 90% on pulling the trigger for a Taycan RWD with the following spec:

I am both excited and nervous. I've had 3 Boxsters and 3 911s throughout my life, never had a 4 door and I bemoan losing the open roof.

Has anyone else moved from a 911 to the Taycan and if so, what are your experiences and thoughts?
Just my 2cents, you might want to save $460 and drop the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger. See several older posts stating that there is no real use for it.
Good luck with the move from 911!

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just my 2cents, you might want to save $460 and drop the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger. See several older posts stating that there is no real use for it.
I heard about that - unfortunately this is a spec car that I'm taking so I don't have a chance to change things.
Thanks!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
There is a use if driving on long distance interstate trips. I ordered it.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I went from a 2017 911 4CS to a Taycan 4S. I do not regret the move. The Taycan gives you more room, more storage and a more comfortable and quieter ride. It handles as you would expect a Porsche though it is not as quick as a 911 in tight maneuvers. It's an all round bigger car.

The bigger limitations are with respect to range in very cold weather and driving at very high speeds for extended periods.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I heard about that - unfortunately this is a spec car that I'm taking so I don't have a chance to change things.
Thanks!
Interesting- I'm surprised a dealer ordered such a highly specced base car for inventory. Most RWDs i've seen in inventory have topped out in the high 90s. Maybe it was a custom order that someone abandoned...

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Whatever you do, take it from me--don’t sell your 911!!! Or if you do, sell it to me.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag

I've owned 4 911's (and a Boxster S and Cayenne S) beginning with a tourist delivery '84 3.2 Carrera and ending with a '14 991 GT3. Considering that my wife has her own car and we also have a 25' Airstream trailer and a truck to tow it, I really don't have room for more than one vehicle for myself. That meant that if I wanted a Taycan, the GT3 would have to go; a decision I pondered for a long time before pulling the trigger on a 4S. Here are some thoughts.

In terms of straight line performance, my 4S generally feels as fast on the road as the GT3. From a standing start launch, the GT3 was somewhat quicker but on the freeway, for example, the Taycan with it's instant torque would be pulling well ahead by the time the GT3 could be downshifted a couple of gears. What's missing, of course, is the wonderful sound of the flat 6 winding out and the interaction with a gearshift or paddles. The acceleration difference between a RWD Taycan and your Targa 4S might be a little more pronounced in some situations but the torque of the Taycan makes up for a lot.

With regard to handling and braking, the differences will show up depending on how the cars are being driven. The 911 is obviously smaller and weighs a lot less. I tracked and auto-crossed my GT3 and I know that the Taycan couldn't compete with it at the limit. But almost no one drives (or should drive) at the limit on public roads and in that world the Taycan feels amazingly well planted, nimble and predictable. When driving the 4S the car feels much smaller than it is; Porsche has really done a wonderful job with the handling and chassis dynamics.

In most other areas the Taycan holds its own really well against the 911, particularly my GT3. It's much more comfortable, quieter, has more luggage room and, unlike the GT3 my wife enjoys riding in it. There's even room, with the rear seats folded, to take along our Labrador. All of this while still retaining the seating position and feel of a sports car.

Of course, the big advantage of the Taycan for me is that I can run it off the solar I produce with my system at home. As much as I've loved and enjoyed ICE vehicles over many years I believe the times are changing and EV's are the future. If I'm going to talk the talk on sustainability, I should walk the walk. Besides, I have to compensate for the few times a year that I tow that Airstream around. I'm not a complete fanatic after all!

Your build looks great; if I might make a couple of suggestions. If your budget will allow it, I would definitely include the adaptive air suspension. I have heard mixed reviews on the RWD car's steel spring suspension from different sources and the air suspension will give you the phenomenal Taycan ride and make the car more desirable at trade in time. Less important, but nice, is Sport Chrono. Being able to adjust drive mode settings right from the steering wheel is very convenient. Of course there are also options like rear axle steering that are worth having but I know it's easy to get carried away.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. FWIW, I have almost no regrets over mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughtful response! This is a spec car so I can't change the options (it lands next week) otherwise Sport Chrono would definitely be on my list. At least it has the bigger battery.

I've enjoyed this Targa for 6 full years - it's my favorite car of all my Porsches. I'll miss it, but I also don't love having Porsches after they age too far out of warranty.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag

I'm making a similar move, previously had a 2016 Cayman GTS and then a 2015 911 Turbo, both great cars and fun to drive, but I'm kind of over driving sports coupes for the last 6 years or so and ready to move back into fast 4 doors. Plus my little kids are getting bigger and outgrowing the back seats of the 911 without us adults hiking our seats uncomfortable forward now. Also with my knees and back giving me more pain, getting in and out of a low sports coupe was becoming more of a pain.

Put in a build order for a Taycan CT 4S expected delivery later this year and looking forward to driving something nearly as fast as my 911 Turbo but with 10x the utility and practicality. I just sold my 911 as well, haven't been driving it as much due to busy work schedule and freeing up some cash flow, saving that money and putting it towards the Taycan once I take delivery.

We already own a Tesla so used to the EV lifestyle and i just installed a 2nd wall charger in the garage ready for when the Taycan arrives
Sponsored

Last edited: