daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
This could be purely mechanical interlock.
it could be - but apparently it is not - unit required power before it "released" the J-1772 cord-end-adapter (CEA).
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I'm pretty sure this _COULD_ be used as a TeslaTap - i.e. take it with you on a trip (the J-1772 portion) but then the unit left at home would "lack" the J-1772 adapter for at home use - while you're away - this may be ok if the whole family is with you on the trip - but I also travel alone leaving wife/kids behind (and they me) so taking the adapter with you limits the useful ness of hte unit while someone is traveling…

just easier IMHO to have a Tesla Tap "live" in the car - but this could also work if you dont' care about charging flexibilty while you're away from home (I can see that working if everyone's gone).
IMO any EV in the US today should carry an adapter to allow it to charge from both NACS and J1772 rather than count on the adapter being available at the EVSE. Tesla already ships one with every car. I personally got a TeslaTap in my Taycan, and some $60 adapter in my wife's eTron (which has been working well at 80A, it has more charging time on it than my TeslaTap by now, all at 80A). At home, I now have 3 load balanced 80A HPWC's, two converted to J1772 (for Taycan and eTron while in the garage) and 1 NACS, which reaches well within the garage and far onto the driveway, and can (and has been) used with an adapter if J1772 is needed. I have a spare J1772 to NACS too, though I doubt we'll ever use it.

That said, if you don't need 80A, this Tesla EVSE is probably the most practical EVSE you can permanently install in any home today - supports both NACS and J1772, has ability to load balance with other units should you need to add more in the future. I cannot think of any other EVSE with these benefits on the market today.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nothing to get super excited about, but a solid charger offering at a decent price. I almost ordered one, but then I remembered I've been waiting 22 support calls and 6 months for Tesla to fix my Powerwall system.
Yes, do not forget about support during and after EVSE installation.
For my Wallbox EVSE, I needed answers to questions at startup and, a year later, failure diagnosis and replacement. Good support from Wallbox.

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I have the j1772 Tesla wall connector. No smart features but absolutely bulletproof to date. And it was among the cheapest to boot! IIRC it would have been cheaper to get a NACS version and buy a Tesla tap but I didn’t want to mess around with adapters. Too bad this new one wasn’t available back then.

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
this is a great choice if you're considering replacing a PMC+/PMCC

supports:
  • adjustable to 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
  • J-1772 compatible
  • NACS compatible
  • Powersharing (multiple units to charge multiple EV's sharing a single breaker)
  • decent foot print
  • competitive pricing
  • clever built in adapter to support both types of north american plugs
  • reliable high quality unit
Please excuse the basic question but how does the power sharing work?

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
You pair up the Wall Connectors via WiFi and the main “lead” wall connector controls the current if two or more chargers are used. The below is a good thread on the subject. Apparently the Wall Connector gen 3 (current generation) recommends that you use a separate breaker for the secondary Wall Connectors (as opposed to the same breaker), though it seems folks got it to work on the same breaker in the aforementioned thread.

I actually tried to hunt down a 2nd gen because of that but ultimately decided to tackle that when/if I get a second EV.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/gen-3-charger-power-sharing-who-has-this-working.241896/

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
quick answer - but the manuals are online and you can read them…
  • you can wireless pair up to 6 Tesla wall units
  • you tell the "units" the total capacity circuit they are sharing
  • then during charging the units adjust their amps so that multiple charge sessions do not go over budget
Example - I have
  • 3 units
  • sharing 80 amps of charging capacity (100 amp breaker)
  • each unit can do max 48 amps
  • when one EV is charging it gets 48 amps
  • when two EV's are charging they each get 40 amps
  • when 3 EV's are charging they each get like 25/26 amps
  • as EV's finish charging the "split" is re adjusted
  • it works slick.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla no longer lists the "pure" J-1772 unit on their website for sale - so the choices are now:

Tesla "native/NACS" unit
Tesla Universal Wall Charger (J-1772/NACS) unit

these are good choices if you're interested in these units.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla no longer lists the "pure" J-1772 unit on their website for sale - so the choices are now:

Tesla "native/NACS" unit
Tesla Universal Wall Charger (J-1772/NACS) unit

these are good choices if you're interested in these units.
I think Tesla did this universal EVSE primarily with destination charging in mind. In most residential installs, an EVSE will typically be used with the same type of connector most days, so even if using an adapter, that adapter will typically stay on. The only usecase I can see with different connectors would be a shared EVSE which is used to manually switch between 2 cars which have different connectors, but that is why Tesla has load sharing so the most convenient solution there is to install a second EVSE. Destination charger usecase also explains why they went through the trouble to make it hard to remove the adapter from the setup.

This move from Tesla is likely cutting into Clippercreek and other EVSE sales which often are deployed along side Tesla ones in hotels. With Tesla universal one, no need for anything but Tesla at destination charging spots.

fika

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Yes, do not forget about support during and after EVSE installation.
For my Wallbox EVSE, I needed answers to questions at startup and, a year later, failure diagnosis and replacement. Good support from Wallbox.

Yup, love my Wallbox, they support power sharing natively too. IMO the Wallbox has the best form factor, I don't like that most EVSE have the "dock" integrated into the unit. No NACS built in, but I suspect plenty of J-1772 to NACS adapters will flood the market when everyone starts switching over to NACS in a few years.

Porsche Taycan NACS + J1772 Charger -- Tesla Universal Wall Connector launched PXL_20221111_003851465

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
I actually tried to hunt down a 2nd gen because of that but ultimately decided to tackle that when/if I get a second EV.
Last week I installed 3 more Tesla Gen2 80A 24ft HPWCs slaving off the installed original that we've had for many years. I bought them just in time before the eBay vendors sold out. Because I'm vain, 2 of the eBay finds were "Elon signature" (matte black face) variety, just because I'm an Elon fan. All four are power-shared from a common 100A breaker with appropriate sized supply wire (#3) and some 18Ga 600v shielded, twisted pair for power-share-networking pulled through the same conduit. Apparently, plenty of 2018 referral contest winners were sent free Elon signature HPWCs, but never installed them. Mostly gone, now.

I purchased a variety of compact NACS-female to J1772-male adapters from web sources. They all got the job done, but they required varying amounts of extraction force to de-mate from the Tesla plug. They ranged from firm, but comfortable un-plugging by hand to an impossible feat of strength (for me) to 2-hand separate (Tesla-Tap Mini 80A). These examples were separated by pulling against the J1772 locking mechanism, retaining the adapter in the Taycan, and pulling out the the Tesla plug, first. Then, easily remove the adapter from the Taycan by using the mechanical release feature. Pain in the neck. Probably not good for the Taycan's J1772, either.

"EVDANCE" 80A adapters (Amazon) are easy to release from the Tesla plug (just hold down the blue button), but have no facility for locking them. I use them in my garage (perfect for use in a secure space), but don't carry one in my Taycan because of no lock.

"Monzaryan Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 80Amp, 250V AC - J1772 EVs Charging Adapter, Fit with Tesla Destination Charger, Mobile Connector, Wall Connector, with Built-in Lock, 4 Keys, Carrying Case" (Amazon) is the one I carry in the Taycan because it has a key lock to discourage monkey business at random charging locations.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Last week I installed 3 more Tesla Gen2 80A 24ft HPWCs slaving off the installed original that we've had for many years. I bought them just in time before the eBay vendors sold out. Because I'm vain, 2 of the eBay finds were "Elon signature" (matte black face) variety, just because I'm an Elon fan. All four are power-shared from a common 100A breaker with appropriate sized supply wire (#3) and some 18Ga 600v shielded, twisted pair for power-share-networking pulled through the same conduit. Apparently, plenty of 2018 referral contest winners were sent free Elon signature HPWCs, but never installed them. Mostly gone, now.

I purchased a variety of compact NACS-female to J1772-male adapters from web sources. They all got the job done, but they required varying amounts of extraction force to de-mate from the Tesla plug. They ranged from firm, but comfortable un-plugging by hand to an impossible feat of strength (for me) to 2-hand separate (Tesla-Tap Mini 80A). These examples were separated by pulling against the J1772 locking mechanism, retaining the adapter in the Taycan, and pulling out the the Tesla plug, first. Then, easily remove the adapter from the Taycan by using the mechanical release feature. Pain in the neck. Probably not good for the Taycan's J1772, either.

"EVDANCE" 80A adapters (Amazon) are easy to release from the Tesla plug (just hold down the blue button), but have no facility for locking them. I use them in my garage (perfect for use in a secure space), but don't carry one in my Taycan because of no lock.

"Monzaryan Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 80Amp, 250V AC - J1772 EVs Charging Adapter, Fit with Tesla Destination Charger, Mobile Connector, Wall Connector, with Built-in Lock, 4 Keys, Carrying Case" (Amazon) is the one I carry in the Taycan because it has a key lock to discourage monkey business at random charging locations.
I have a 3 HPWC setup, converted 2 of them permanently to J1772, but the 3rd one serves as a guest/driveway charging EVSE so I left it with NACS. Have been using this ~$60 adapter from Amazon at full 80A no problems.
Sponsored

Last edited: