Need a Class Action Lawsuit - Porsche Mobile Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
quit apologizing for Porsche -
I typically agree with most of what you say, but I don’t think this is a fair or charitable response. The mere fact that someone is not as worked up about this does not mean that they are an apologist. Please consider focusing your righteousness indignation on the deserving source: Porsche. Friendly fire is not necessary or helpful.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So, rather than just spend $650 for a different charger, you’d spend time pursuing a lawsuit? Is your time really of that little value to you? I’d pay $650 just to not see anymore threads about this issue on this forum.
+1

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Can you please offer two short answers for a lost guy:
- Is this (overheating) an issue of EU plugs as well or US/NA related only?
- Standard equipment PMC+ is also involved?
I did not receive any info from Porsche about it, although the car was in service with the latest software update 3 weeks ago.
Thanks in advance.
Porsche Taycan Need a Class Action Lawsuit - Porsche Mobile Charger IMG_4083
Porsche Taycan Need a Class Action Lawsuit - Porsche Mobile Charger IMG_4177

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Can you please offer two short answers for a lost guy:
- Is this (overheating) an issue of EU plugs as well or US/NA related only?
- Standard equipment PMC+ is also involved?
I did not receive any info from Porsche about it, although the car was in service with the latest software update 3 weeks ago.
Thanks in advance.
IMG_4083.jpeg
IMG_4177.jpeg
NO!

You are absolutely fine. Your unit will draw maximun of 32 amp on a single phase with the appropriate plug and so ket. CEE Red plug i think.

So this is a particular US issue since they want to draw 40 amps to get 9.6 kW. If Porsche NA had limited the amps to 32 amps it had been the same performance as the EU charger

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
NO!

You are absolutely fine. Your unit will draw maximun of 32 amp on a single phase with the appropriate plug and so ket. CEE Red plug i think.

So this is a particular US issue since they want to draw 40 amps to get 9.6 kW. If Porsche NA had limited the amps to 32 amps it had been the same performance as the EU charger
Thanks a lot @Scandinavian!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If you have ever gone through a lawsuit, you'd realize how much of a time and money drain it usually is.
Not to mention emotional energy. It's just not worth it.

A class action lawsuit will enrich lawyers and some day we'll see a few pennies.

Also, YMMV but I remember signing an arbitration agreement when I purchased my car.

It sucks that the provided chargers aren't up to spec, but IMO it's better to just move on.

kip

First Name
kash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So 8 weeks ago, my charger started heating up. I took it to my local dealer (Porsche Bethesda) and they said they would order me a new one. Still have not received it. I have called, emailed several times. They said its under warranty and coming. And now I get this email saying its a known issue. Ridiculous

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
just a reminder this problem can be "solved" for as little as $200…
As Dave points out, this is a problem with a $200.- solution.
While I think it sucks to buy something and find it can't run up to spec, IMHO it's time to move on. There are bigger and better problems to discuss, like what's going on with the Taycan 12v batteries.

toddbe

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What is the $200 solution? Which part do you replace with which part in the US?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
What is the $200 solution? Which part do you replace with which part in the US?
post #17 in detail.

$200 is the cheapest - but there are MULTIPLE options for $600 or less - several at $400 or less.

you just buy an alternate EVSE and retire the crappy Porsche product - and then live your life with a well designed EVSE that actually works as specified and won't overheat.

toddbe

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I like the Porsche EVSE EXCEPT the cable that overheats. I imagine that is the only issue with the EVSE?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I like the Porsche EVSE EXCEPT the cable that overheats. I imagine that is the only issue with the EVSE?
that and now it runs at 50% capacity…vs. it's advertised/specified capacity of 9.6 kW - doubling your charge time.

but if you want to take 19 hours to fully charge your Taycan from single digit %'s by all means keep using it it and be happy.

toddbe

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I get that, most nights 1/2 charge amps are OK. If needed I can manually adjust when necessary.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that, most nights 1/2 charge amps are OK. If needed I can manually adjust when necessary.
just as long as you realize the manual adjustment is fragile and might change while you're asleep or during charging - meaning it won't actually be charged as planned if there is a power blip during the charging session - then yeah

my favorite comedian as a joke
Anywhere is walking distance if you have the time. -- Steven Wright
any charge rate is fine as long as you have the time…but sometimes you'd really like to plug the car in and know reliably when it will finish and be able to charge "as fast as possible" because you don't have the time.

this of course ignores the fact that Porsche sold us a specificed 9.6 kw charger which they with the lastest softare update have now effectively said "just kidding - really not 9.6 kW cause it might melt/overheat/fault".

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Im just waiting for some brilliant software engineer to come out with a hack to overwrite the new default amperage setting. You know someone must be working on it.

Question, if Porsche just replaced the undersized cables wouldn’t that solve the issue?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.