new customer questions

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
I initially went for an "ST" as I figured it will give me more useable space even if I prefer the looks of the sedan. I have tried to compare and it does look more useable.

However, I then saw that you can put a roofbox on a sedan, but for an ST you then need rails which also means you need a glass roof (which I think is pointless). So now - I'm in fact doubting again towards a sedan (slightly cheaper as well). Another approach (also expensive, but I think also better for range and avoids the rails) would be to get the bike rack and just put a plastic box on that (like what thule has), off course in this case I would prefer to buy something that is actually build for it.

Scrolling through the options I also saw the option "22KW AC" => Am I right that this is really only relevant for home charging? And that most real quick chargers are DC (for which high speed charging is included by default).

Then I also saw that if I switch the "4S", for the "GTS" with the options I have is actually "only" another 10k more, because lots of options that I picked are standard with a "GTS". Then again, it's yet another 10k euros for what is already the most expensive car I ever bought.

So:

• ST vs roof box/sedan - opinions? How big is the actual added utility of an ST? Someone told me he doubted that having a panoramic roof always gives you the needed for a roof box
  • Does anyone know of a luggage rack usable for taycan or abusing the bike rack for it? I am referring to something like this: Thule BackSpace XT but then build for taycan.
  • GTS -> worth the extra cost? I know, it's rather personal
  • 22KW AC a relevant option (note that we have to pay a "capacity" tax on electricity as my country hates "green" people", so I plan on charging as slow as possible from home overnight.

FYI - already posted the same on other media - but I see this is a bigger community.
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I had an Audi RS e-tron GT, but have switched to an ST. The boot of the sedan is equal to the Audi boot and not practical, we could not fit two normal suitcases. The ST boot is much more roomy and usable. And I "hate" roof boxes. They may give extra room, but look bad and cost a lot in increased drag.

My ST is a GTS. I appreciate the small exterior specialties, but optioned away most of the GTS interior features - I prefer full leather. The extra power and torque? I don't know really, could maybe have been as happy with a 4S In that respect. But a GTS is more special, and it was in the production slot that suited me.

And I think you are right about 22kW.

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’d definitely go for GTS as residual values are better and likely to be more desirable given it’s the sweet spot of the Taycan range. The extra features alone make it special over a 4S but off course it’s personal preference.

I wouldn’t go for 22kw.

I have a saloon and love it. It has enough practicality for what I need as we have two cars so filling up the boot isn’t a factor for me.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I've go an ST on order and have not optioned the roof rails but have the Bike Rack prep and a Bike rack on order. I am also considering a box I can fit on the bike rack for occasional trips where I might need to carry a lot and with my 2 dogs in the boot there is little space left. As you say there isn't a box designed for the bike rack but thinking of something I can just strap to it. There are a few available. Most are designed to fit a specific bike rack but I figure just buy a cheap one and strap it down.

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
I've go an ST on order and have not optioned the roof rails but have the Bike Rack prep and a Bike rack on order. I am also considering a box I can fit on the bike rack for occasional trips where I might need to carry a lot and with my 2 dogs in the boot there is little space left. As you say there isn't a box designed for the bike rack but thinking of something I can just strap to it. There are a few available. Most are designed to fit a specific bike rack but I figure just buy a cheap one and strap it down.

This thing is really going to be my family car. I have 2 kids. For normal holidays I don't need a box, but for ski holiday, there is no way without it.

edit: but indeed, just strapping it with some pro - trailer sstraps - it should hold perfectly

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I initially went for an "ST" as I figured it will give me more useable space even if I prefer the looks of the sedan. I have tried to compare and it does look more useable.

However, I then saw that you can put a roofbox on a sedan, but for an ST you then need rails which also means you need a glass roof (which I think is pointless). So now - I'm in fact doubting again towards a sedan (slightly cheaper as well). Another approach (also expensive, but I think also better for range and avoids the rails) would be to get the bike rack and just put a plastic box on that (like what thule has), off course in this case I would prefer to buy something that is actually build for it.

Scrolling through the options I also saw the option "22KW AC" => Am I right that this is really only relevant for home charging? And that most real quick chargers are DC (for which high speed charging is included by default).

Then I also saw that if I switch the "4S", for the "GTS" with the options I have is actually "only" another 10k more, because lots of options that I picked are standard with a "GTS". Then again, it's yet another 10k euros for what is already the most expensive car I ever bought.

So:

• ST vs roof box/sedan - opinions? How big is the actual added utility of an ST? Someone told me he doubted that having a panoramic roof always gives you the needed for a roof box
  • Does anyone know of a luggage rack usable for taycan or abusing the bike rack for it? I am referring to something like this: Thule BackSpace XT but then build for taycan.
  • GTS -> worth the extra cost? I know, it's rather personal
  • 22KW AC a relevant option (note that we have to pay a "capacity" tax on electricity as my country hates "green" people", so I plan on charging as slow as possible from home overnight.

FYI - already posted the same on other media - but I see this is a bigger community.
For sedan, ST or CT you must have the panoramic roof otherwise you won't get the mounting points. ST and CT will also force the roof rails.

Sedan has restricted access to the trunk which is where the CT and ST have the advantage. Similar cargo capacity overall. More rear headroom with CT and ST.

Skip 22kW standard 11kW is fine for home charging.

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
I’d definitely go for GTS as residual values are better and likely to be more desirable given it’s the sweet spot of the Taycan range. The extra features alone make it special over a 4S but off course it’s personal preference.

I wouldn’t go for 22kw.

I have a saloon and love it. It has enough practicality for what I need as we have two cars so filling up the boot isn’t a factor for me.
Would you think the GTS argument holds even if I for example go for a non-gts interior ?

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I went for non GTS interior and left exterior as is. So have a good balance.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This thing is really going to be my family car. I have 2 kids. For normal holidays I don't need a box, but for ski holiday, there is no way without it.

edit: but indeed, just strapping it with some pro - trailer sstraps - it should hold perfectly
I would be interested ,in any research and if you find a suitable box. I'm a cyclist so a bike rack was essential albeit grossly over priced. I also think the roof bars ruin the line of the ST and are more suited to the CT. It's a shame the Sedan roof bars don't fit the ST.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I see the 4S as the "sweet spot" of the Taycan range. However, the more you option up a 4S to match a standard GTS spec, the more that the GTS will beat it on residuals. OTH, badging and finish (e.g. RaceTex) seem to be of unique importance to the GTS, so I wouldn't bank on a de- "GTS'ed" GTS holding up as well at resale.

Jabbar

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I see the 4S as the "sweet spot" of the Taycan range. However, the more you option up a 4S to match a standard GTS spec, the more that the GTS will beat it on residuals. OTH, badging and finish (e.g. RaceTex) seem to be of unique importance to the GTS, so I wouldn't bank on a de- "GTS'ed" GTS holding up as well at resale.
understand. But there is also a big market of Porsche drivers who love the external look, driving characteristics and GTS name without going for Race Tex. I spent quite a lot of time talking / researching before deciding. I usually buy a new car every 6-12 months and have done for 25 years plus and residuals is one of the key determinants

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Personally, GTS is not all about Race-Tex - in fact most are upgraded to extended leather due to durability concerns rather than the full GTS package. It's the exterior tweaks that you really don't want to fiddle with. I had a vanilla GTS Cayenne and didn't like the Race-Tex in the end thinking I would - it made no difference to resale back then - and now I always go extended leather by default. Worse still, I would choose a 2nd hand extended leather GTS over one that isn't assuming ceteris paribus.

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
understand. But there is also a big market of Porsche drivers who love the external look, driving characteristics and GTS name without going for Race Tex. I spent quite a lot of time talking / researching before deciding. I usually buy a new car every 6-12 months and have done for 25 years plus and residuals is one of the key determinants
That's fast - certainly in UK market I would think. I'm looking more at 5 years - and I have no clue how EV value will evolve in that timeframe

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
GTS interior is personal preference. I like the fact it is unique to the GTS so no way would I spec leather. So just spec what you want and don't worry about residuals. I was close to buying a 911 many years ago and the SA just kept pointing me away from the colours I liked and would only recommend black, silver, grey. Just choose the car for you. That's what I did.
Sponsored