new customer questions

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
It is not a charger it is a DC to DC voltage booster with purpose of boosting 400V DC EVSEs up to 800V to match the voltage of the HV battery.

The only chargers onboard are the AC and DC (50 kW 400v + 350 kW 800v). Without the booster you would only get 50 kW from a 150 kW 400V DC EVSE.
Thank you for promptly pointing this out.

The DC to DC voltage booster is standard in Portugal and I think the same happens across Europe so, I believe, this is the reason OP isn't seeing it as an option in his build.
Sponsored

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
The OP is based in Europe I believe. The 150kw onboard charger is included in the base model so it doesn't appear as an option (OP can confirm on the standard specs page of his model).
Indeed - hence my confusion.

Leverage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Sorry to keep getting back to the same topic - but when you say approved - I'm new to the brand, what does this mean in Porsche world? I know with my current car it can even impact your warranty, is it like that? Or is it more about the speed rating or the actual dimensions?
Like other said, the 21' summer tires are a bit "special" based on performance and tire noise but also based on the taycan weight. EV tires usually have a slightly different shape than the "regular" tires based on these criteria. So currently there are no others tires in 21' for the winter that have the same qualities (and thus Porsche approved). So I'm not sure about warranty etc... but you get the picture.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
OP, keep in mind that the rear rack prep is only available on CT and ST(Europe only) in case you were thinking of using the bike rack/ box. I use a flexible bag to store our skis on a rear tray and it’s really convenient for 4 of us to hit the slopes. The Taycan is an amazing car in the snow too.
Porsche Taycan new customer questions A578120A-CCA8-404C-A619-638C259BE5D1

Here are some examples of boxes on the same setup that uses the bike prep. Unfortunately no hard boxes long enough to fit 180cm skis.
Porsche Taycan new customer questions BCD0C217-E301-43D2-B458-32F28CFAA7BE

Porsche Taycan new customer questions 56294CE8-BEAB-4EAF-B9AD-A9B1D13E4BB3

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
awesome! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. You guys are great!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Re: impact of a roofbox on range/efficiency. I'm still collecting data, but so far - for my case, with a limited number of data points, and any other disclaimer you'd expect - the impact seems to be low, ~6-9% in range. I had expected an up to 30% hit, based on conversations with others who carry things up top.

This is for a 4CT, with an InnoRacks Wedge BRM660 mounted on OEM roof bars. Driving conditions (temp, time of day, traffic, load) and style were the same. The route goes up ~4,000ft/1,200m, same itinerary on all*occasions (the 2mi difference was flat on local neighborhoods).

up :
no box: 1:42h 41 mph 68 mi 2.0 mi/kWh
no box: 1:35h 42 mph 66 mi 1.9 mi/kWh
w/ box: 1:48h 39 mph 68 mi 1.8 mi/kWh

down (corresponding trips):
no box: 1:31h 45 mph 68 mi 3.9 mi/kWh <- note the lower avg speed
no box: 1:19h 51 mph 66 mi 3.5 mi/kWh
w/ box: 1:23h 50 mph 68 mi 3.3 mi/kWh

The increase in noise level is noticeable above 70mph, whereas with the naked roof the level of noise is virtually unchanged until ~85-90ish mph.

*edit: 'both' -> 'all' since I found a 3rd data point.

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
do I undertstand correctly that these are all custom fabrications build to connect with the bike rack prep ?

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
do I undertstand correctly that these are all custom fabrications build to connect with the bike rack prep ?
Yes, my examples are. Other than the Porsche bike rack I don’t think there is any other aftermarket support for the proprietary mounts. It’s also pretty unanimously agreed that the Porsche bike rack isn’t a great design.

You can read more about my racks here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/custom-rear-bike-rack-installed-with-1up-trays.8777/

And here https://www.taycanforum.com/cross-turismo-custom-rear-bike-rack-group-buy/

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
Cool - thx again. I am worried though. Europe is quit strict on these things. at the very minimum I would need a license plate mount & I'm worried it also needs some euro certificate.
Sponsored