New Porsche Recall/"Stop sell" - any details?

WhydidisellmyM5

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5
Country flag
Perhaps call them and be frank? Tell them that in order to stay with the order you need a weekly update. Tell them you understand there are delays, but you just want them to send you a screenshot of their internal milestones screen every Saturday perhaps. It's not that much to ask the dealer to send a weekly update on a produced car which is in transit, is it? It takes all of what, 60 seconds, to take a screenshot and email it? Even if the delivery is 12 months delayed, that's an hour of work in updates, which seems reasonable given the profit they make on a sale. If you cancel, they will have to spend more than an hour of work re-selling the car. You don't even have to accept 12 month delay by the way, you can tell them if the car is delayed beyond MY24 deliveries for example, you expect some discount in order to keep the order.

That said, if they agree to send you weekly updates, you do have to arm yourself with some patience. Porsche custom builds have become an exercise in "patience is a virtue". If you don't have lots of patience, and financial flexibility, buy inventory or used. It took me 20 months, 12 of those cold calling dealers to find an allocation, to get my Taycan. During that time, my trade-in dropped in value by 40%, Taycan went up in price (model year changed), thousands in tax incentives went away, interest rates tripled or more. I didn't have any inventory or used alternatives though, since CT was a late entry into the marketplace, and Porsche had major supply shortages. Once I found the allocation, I did manage to build-in a price reduction which triggered on delays, built into my contract. Delays did happen, so I ended up getting the discount - a sliver lining if you will. Once you get the car, it will all be worth it though (unless the changed market conditions make the car unaffordable, then I'd advise cancelling, as nothing ruins a car experience as much as payments you cannot afford).
Cheers pal, that’s great advice. I wouldn’t mind the delays if it were stuck in production, that’s a get in line process. It’s the fact it’s been sat in a port for over 60 days that I can’t get my head around. I’ve asked for updates and last month I was told there would be no further update and they’d let me know when things change. I was really looking forward to the car, I just find the comms infuriating for a car that’s north of £120k. Why do they have to make it so hard.
Thanks for your thoughts though, they’re really appreciated. I’m glad it’s not just me
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Cheers pal, that’s great advice. I wouldn’t mind the delays if it were stuck in production, that’s a get in line process. It’s the fact it’s been sat in a port for over 60 days that I can’t get my head around. I’ve asked for updates and last month I was told there would be no further update and they’d let me know when things change. I was really looking forward to the car, I just find the comms infuriating for a car that’s north of £120k. Why do they have to make it so hard.
Thanks for your thoughts though, they’re really appreciated. I’m glad it’s not just me
Read stories from @f1eng if you want to hear from someone on your side of the pond who experienced real Taycan delivery delays, even modified his order on dealer advice to avoid delays, yet ended up with ~12 months IIRC between production complete and delivery. In the the end he's enjoying his Taycan today, as am I enjoying mine. Bottom line is this, if you cancel today, do you have a better alternative that yields you a car which you will like as much sooner? If yes, maybe it's worth taking, but if not, there is no choice but wait. The silver lining may be that in current market conditions it might be easier to negotiate some compensation due to delays.

Last edited:

ss782b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTS
Country flag
Definitely not just you. I’m a few days behind you and in the exact same position. No info from the dealer other than they will contact me when the car is on the move and Porsche GB were even more useless and unhelpful.

DaddyCool

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (Ordered Nov 21, expect May 23)
Country flag
last mile:
Car manufacture completion 5 May, been at UK port since 18 May, at the dealership since early June...50 Day Battery wait ended on the 18th June...VAL happen on Monday (19th June)....waiting....

e92er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Ditto. Mine finished production 4/5 and has been sitting at the port since 5/11. Today is the day TYD says it leaves the port and today is the day they told me their system says is the next step and today is the day they told me to wait till before I call them again…you can be sure I’ll be calling them today!!!

Rob********

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Well, after a long wait (ordered March 2022) I collected mine on Saturday AM and like others have said, it is worth the wait. The handover was special and the car more so. The whole delay thing was taking over 99% of my brain power until delivery, when I suddenly felt like Bradley Cooper in Limitless!

Bigga78

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
Confirmation from my dealer that the stop is 50 days from installation of the high voltage battery.

apparently my build was completed mid April, so hoping to get m car released in the next week or so.
Been told that I should be able to collect my car next week, so keeping everything crossed!

DaddyCool

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT (Ordered Nov 21, expect May 23)
Country flag
Well, after a long wait (ordered March 2022) I collected mine on Saturday AM and like others have said, it is worth the wait. The handover was special and the car more so. The whole delay thing was taking over 99% of my brain power until delivery, when I suddenly felt like Bradley Cooper in Limitless!
Did you get any goodies from the dealership?

WhydidisellmyM5

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5
Country flag
What a difference a day makes, had a chat with a different lady at Porsche today who completely put my mind at ease, explained the issues around software and that mine was built just after the software issue came up so it won’t be held in the UK. She said it’s not 100% but it should be in the Uk next week. It’s the most positive I’ve felt about the brand since the day of ordering. Thanks for the advice today, fingers crossed for next week

lwc1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
What a difference a day makes, had a chat with a different lady at Porsche today who completely put my mind at ease, explained the issues around software and that mine was built just after the software issue came up so it won’t be held in the UK. She said it’s not 100% but it should be in the Uk next week. It’s the most positive I’ve felt about the brand since the day of ordering. Thanks for the advice today, fingers crossed for next week
when was your car completed?

DrMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
last mile:
Car manufacture completion 5 May, been at UK port since 18 May, at the dealership since early June...50 Day Battery wait ended on the 18th June...VAL happen on Monday (19th June)....waiting....
Mine completed on 12 April and I am over 2 months on. The info flow is piss poor and disappointing. The dealership had been great but I think like others they’re fed up. No reply to my request for an update yesterday. Let’s hope they reply today!

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
Mine completed on 12 April and I am over 2 months on. The info flow is piss poor and disappointing. The dealership had been great but I think like others they’re fed up. No reply to my request for an update yesterday. Let’s hope they reply today!
The two vehicle carriers that we're due at Sheerness yesterday were both delayed and we're anchored off shore overnight. One is now moored and presumably being unloaded, the other is waiting.

This may be the reason for the lack of comms, but I would assume the dealers know when a car is on a ship and that in itself is worthy of an update I'd say.

DrMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
Drum roll please…..here’s the update

“Great news your car is onboard a vessel on its way to Sheerness , once it lands and goes through PDI we will have a better idea to arrange a collection date . Thank you for your patience and I will update up as soon as I can see it has gone in to the PDI ( Pre Delivery Inspection )”
Sponsored