daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I hope so too. But you would think they should be able to do more than one at a time. Haha
turns out the update “occupies” monopolizes the PWIS technical porsche computer systems for most of the “update” time - which takes them ”out of comission” for nearly the entire update process - this is a serious problem for the service centers as the PWIS systems are normally shared among multiple techs and historically were only needed briefly to check/clear codes and make reasonabliy quick changes - a 16 bay service center might have only 2 or 3 PWIS to share among all the techs…many service centers only have one PWIS

if one PWIS is occupied for say 2 or 3 hours during one of the update phases it’s a serious problem for other vehicles in service at the time since the PWIS can’t be unplugged while it’s updating a Taycan

my local service center is “upset” about this and has provided Porsche with “feedback” in the mean time they are endeavoring to obtain more PWIS (not a cheap item) so that they can update Taycans without impacting their other service operations.

everything I’ve seen with regards to my Taycan in the past 9 months leads me to believe Porsche is relying on their histroical mechanical skills, but as far as the “new world” (digital and EVs) they are only just barely there and have a lot of room for improvment.

Last edited:

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Apparent issues with the computers for update... still not sure when I'll get my car back... being in since last Thursday morning...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
My car went in for the upgrade yesterday and also for a new OTA module, to be able to use any connect service.

Planned for return Wednesday evening, everything going well?

At least I got a great loaner!

Porsche Taycan New software upgrade 79920095-0D15-4310-AA62-9B5293ACE5A7

718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Really nice car to drive and handles fantastic on small mountain type of roads here. I miss that sound in my Taycan! Oh it has a radio, but you do not hear it that well!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Really nice car to drive and handles fantastic on small mountain type of roads here. I miss that sound in my Taycan! Oh it has a radio, but you do not hear it that well!
Yes, but do you miss the power from the Taycan as you wait for the engine to rev up to 6000 RPM? :)

I love my 718 Spyder, but compared to the Taycan the engine/speed definitely feel more like a 3 cylinder!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but do you miss the power from the Taycan as you wait for the engine to rev up to 6000 RPM? :)
I must admit the Taycan reaacts faster coming our of a corner, but feels a bit more of a struggle to get into and through the corners? You feel the difference in weight for sure. The straight parts of the road are not that long so mostly corners and serpentine. on the motorways it was different for sure.
I also kept the revs between 5000 + up to some 6750 rpm so no waiting for power there.

I must however praise the user interface and infotainment in the 718. Felt much snappier and easier to use than ours in the Taycan.

Apart from that they are completely different cars and should not be compared. But both super nice!

Here is a picture of the Route

:)

Porsche Taycan New software upgrade 75AD0E9B-B8F5-436F-9023-489786E3D816

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Apart from that they are completely different cars and should not be compared. But both super nice!

Here is a picture of the Route

:)
I completely agree, its kind of a great "range of car technology" kind of experience going from one to the other. I personally LOVE small light 2 seater cars (Lotus, 4C, now 718). And you are right, with all the "magic" when you FEEL the weight of the Taycan you FEEL IT.

And I am jealous of your route. :crying:

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got my car back... doesn't feel much different than before.. but way better than the Cayenne loaner... still Homelink GPS location still shows Offroad... Fixed the spoiler alignment... now flush with body...
Porsche Taycan New software upgrade IMG_8279

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Just let mine at the dealership today along with the charger PMCC

Fingers crossed during the wait...
My garage looks empty now, but it'll be a good reason to clean it in order to welcome back its occupant wearing the beautiful carbon 21'' rims!
Let's hope I can post some good news by Friday !

OP
OP
NormF

NormF

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 911 Targa 4S, MachE
Country flag
Just got my car back... doesn't feel much different than before.. but way better than the Cayenne loaner... still Homelink GPS location still shows Offroad... Fixed the spoiler alignment... now flush with body...
That’s good. I dropped mine off this AM and they are doing the software upgrade and some other rattle/speaker issues.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am going in tomorrow, I wonder if I should do a ritualistic "goodbye" drive tonight!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am going in tomorrow, I wonder if I should do a ritualistic "goodbye" drive tonight!
Hopefully not! But just to cover all options I would do it!

My car went in on Monday and was supposed to be finished tomorrow. Today’s message was that a new Gateway Computer nd new OTA module was needed and my car could not get the update! They are now in discussions with Germany so let us wait and see. Does not sound so promising though, but fingers crossed.

As earlier stated I am quite ok with my loaner though. Enjoying the difference.

bosch88

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMG_8279.jpg
The Homelink GPS now seems to work even though it shows the location is GPS is offroad... The Homelink screen pops up when I get to the set GPS location now... since I assigned the garage door to open on the dash diamond button, I turn off the GPS location setting... The auto lift works too...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
The Homelink GPS now seems to work even though it shows the location is GPS is offroad... The Homelink screen pops up when I get to the set GPS location now... since I assigned the garage door to open on the dash diamond button, I turn off the GPS location setting... The auto lift works too...
Same here, still shows offroad, but I get the Pop Up now...

TT459S

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Targa 4, 2023 Macan S
Country flag
I'm booked for April 20th for 2 full days at PC Langley. ?
Well, the car has now been in their workshop for a whole week. Last news was on Friday that they had trouble updating PCM.... Hopefully I will hear back tomorrow, this 2021 Cayenne eHybrid loaner isn't a worthy replacement (especially not with the massive Porsche Langley Service stickers on the doors...).
Sponsored